• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Hypothetical: What is a rule you'd add or modify in the game?

Aevi

Hale End FC
I kind of like the old MLS style of penalties where players have to dribble with the ball to the goal to then shoot, hockey-style.

I'd personally like an explanation from the ref on VAR decisions like they do in NFL, it might make things clearer and holds them more accountable.

OnlyOne

‘Donkeys don’t have a peak, they remain useless’
Trusted ⭐

I kind of like the old MLS style of penalties where players have to dribble with the ball to the goal to then shoot, hockey-style.

I'd personally like an explanation from the ref on VAR decisions like they do in NFL, it might make things clearer and holds them more accountable.

I like the idea of both, refs 100% need to be more involved with why they make such decisions, even after the game they should do an interview.

Reactions: roz

Trilly

Hates A-M, Saka, Arteta and You
Trusted ⭐

I would like some sort of precedent system like
in law that can be used during red card/yellow card appeals.

For example Eddie’s red card towards the end of the season was upheld even though a Burnley players similar challenge was viewed a yellow even with VAR review.

That should have immediately resulted in the wiping of Eddie’s ban when we appealed it because if one ref says it’s a yellow and that’s seen as the correct decision then it should bloody be the same for everyone no?

Similar thing for how Luiz seemed to get sent off for a challenge that Azpi only got booked for in the FA Cup final.

I did a similar thread in the football talk not long ago. Didn't get off the ground though.

I would add an extra player that can only play in the opposition half.

And

I would still have a red card, but if the player gets red card he has to be substituted but the team still will have 11 players on the field, and if the first addition I talk about 1 player in the opposition half.

balthazar

That's a good one, I could get behind that.

It'd also stop the habit refs have of inconsistently stopping added time when the minutes are up regardless of time-wasting during that period. I think games would get significantly longer though which might mess with TV times, isn't there a stat that the ball is dead for 1/3 of games or something? That's a lot.

initially, this sounds good since using hands seems unnatural. However, this is too big an advantage. Essentially throw-ins in the final third would become more like corner/free kicks and players would start whipping dangerous crosses in from a simple ball out of play on the sides in the final third.

Rex Stone

Long live the fighters
Trusted ⭐

Would remove home and away ties and keep them as one off knockout games in Europe or as minimum abolish the away goal rule, a goal is a goal it should never count as two.

The excitement of one off games is something that has been missed in my opinion.

Agree. I actually much preferred this year’s CL in one location with games every three days. It gave it a sort of mini-World Cup feel.

In the old format when they bunch up all the knockout stage games towards the crunch end of the season you’re not getting the best product imo as so many players are on their last legs.

It also relegates the domestic cup competitions to inconveniences if a team is competing on three fronts when really they have great traditions in their own right.

Also there’s an argument for cutting down unnecessary air travel by letting a single city hold say the last seven games of a tournament in a two week span.

London, Manchester, Paris, Madrid, Munich, Glasgow, Barcelona, Dortmund/Gelsenkirchen, Moscow, Glasgow and Istanbul all have more than once stadium which could be used in a tournament style knockout like Lisbon.

Having three months between the group stages and last 16 them up to six weeks between those ties makes it almost totally different competitions when factoring in winter transfers, injuries, fatigue and managerial changes.

Look at Haland this year, if Liverpool drew Dortmund he could have potentially knocked out despite scoring against them in the group stage.

Ceballinhos

Cheating on Santi
Change the calendar and the way teams qualify for Europe, and do it like the playofffs in american sports.
I always found it stupid when a surprise team gets into Europe because they had an amazing season, and then bigger clubs come to get their best players during the summer, so the season they play Europe they fill a much weaker squad that got them there, and they get spanked during the first round.

And I also don't like how European games are so spread over the season. I'd much rather play only league/domestic cup games, end the season earlier, and then play European games like a tournament that would start in may.

It's also unfair, for instance PL teams that have a massive game in the league between 2 european games while teams from easier league can afford to do some kind of rotation because they're already 10 pts ahead.

Makingtrax

Worships in the house of Wenger 🙏
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
Any rules which make the Premier League more competitive so we don't see the same old teams at the top year after year, including beefing up FFP rules on debt and direct injection of capital by wealthy owners, salary capping like the NFL and increasing the rules on home grown players so we actually get more of them on the pitch and not just in the squad.

Dutch D

Well-Known Member & FPL Champion 19/20
I’m sick of inconsistent injury time that the refs pull out of their backside based on how they’re feeling that day.

Go full rugby and every stoppage in play pause the clock and end the game on 90 minutes. Would kill time wasting and faking injuries as well as standardising refereeing.
Wholeheartedly agree. Also surprised me how much time got added in our games when we were ahead against the big teams. Definitely seems a bias there.

Probably would need to reduce the total amount of minutes if time gets stopped every foul/throw-in/off-side. Wonder what 'pure gametime' adds up, probably less than 80 minutes.

I'd also would like to see more cards being given for diving. Not necessarily a new rule, but a rule that should actually be enforced. Football is becoming pathetic in that sense. Bunch of backstabbing pussies.

I know there is some experimentation with removing off-side. Don't know how it would work but if you can't see with your own eyes that it's off-side even when the screen is paused who gives a **** about 1-2 cm off-side. Kills a lot of exciting plays/goals.

Rex Stone

Long live the fighters
Trusted ⭐

Any rules which make the Premier League more competitive so we don't see the same old teams at the top year after year, including beefing up FFP rules on debt and direct injection of capital by wealthy owners, salary capping like the NFL and increasing the rules on home grown players so we actually get more of them on the pitch and not just in the squad.

I don’t think a salary cap would help increase competition, especially not in a pyramid system like English football.

It works in American Leagues as there’s no relegation or promotion and the worst teams get rewarded for being terrible.

You’d have to completely rewrite football to successfully implement it in a way that benefits all teams which probably means taking an axe to the football league.

ClubLevel

I would add no subs after 80 minutes to save teams time wasting.

Would also award no points if a game ends in a 0-0 draw. Might encourage teams to go for games, or have 0-0's settled on penalties with the winners getting 1 point (probably for my own entertainment if nothing else just to see the shootouts).

Makingtrax

Worships in the house of Wenger 🙏
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
I don’t think a salary cap would help increase competition, especially not in a pyramid system like English football.

It works in American Leagues as there’s no relegation or promotion and the worst teams get rewarded for being terrible.

You’d have to completely rewrite football to successfully implement it in a way that benefits all teams which probably means taking an axe to the football league.
What really needs to happen is governing bodies from all the leagues from across Europe need to sit down and reboot the game, pull apart the entire structure and start again with a completely new system, learn from mistakes, evolve new ideas, look at other sports and take the positives and try to adapt them to suit the modern game.
The way forward could be to try and take money as a competitive edge out of the game as much as possible: eg
-Abolish transfer fees altogether.
-A limit each club is allowed to spend on transfers each season.
-Money distributed evenly across the teams and not based on league position.
-Some form of Hard Salary Cap including a luxury tax with severe penalties, like fifteen point deductions if exceeded, so richer clubs cannot consistently break the percentage.

I see the head of the Bundesliga called for a salary cap during lock down.

ESPN:
"We must bring professional football closer to the people again," said DFB president Fritz Keller, according to the federation's website. "We have to think about a salary cap."

"Commissions for player advisors and huge transfer sums are increasingly irritating society and alienate it from our beloved sport," he added.

He said German football needed to be self-critical, and the COVID-19 crisis "offers the opportunity to look ahead and to reposition football in order to preserve it for future generations."

Trilly

Trusted ⭐

I would still have a red card, but if the player gets red card he has to be substituted but the team still will have 11 players on the field, and if the first addition I talk about 1 player in the opposition half.
This would be good but players would start abusing it. Any player through on goal would immediately be brought down for a free kick.:lol:

Trilly

Trusted ⭐

You'd also then have to integrate the academy system into the university system as premier league teams won't want to spend 10+ years developing players only for them to be awarded to somebody else in a draft.

It's never going to happen.

This would be good but players would start abusing it. Any player through on goal would immediately be brought down for a free kick.:lol:

Maybe serve longer bans then than 3 games. On tackling players going through would be 10 games ban instead of 3?

I just hate the game when it's 11 vs 10. It's dull, boring and slow where one team attack constantly and the other has to defend for rest of the game and be extremely careful when going forward.

Latest posts+

Top Bottom