• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Hypothetical: What is a rule you'd add or modify in the game?

Trilly

Hates A-M, Saka, Arteta and You
Trusted ⭐

Maybe serve longer bans then than 3 games. On tackling players going through would be 10 games ban instead of 3?

I just hate the game when it's 11 vs 10. It's dull, boring and slow where one team attack constantly and the other has to defend for rest of the game and be extremely careful when going forward.
They need to be very consistent with the double jeopardy rule that only seems to affect us negatively.

What could work would be having second yellow cards result in a forced subsitution. In addition to this, preventing a clear goal-scoring opportunity should be a yellow card and a penalty regardless of where the foul has taken place.

I also now realise that the forced sub can only work if your team hasn't used the max number of substitutions otherwise teams would start instructing players to get sent off.

That would leave dangerous play red cards and second yellows (if your team has used their 3 subs) as the only way a match can end up 11v10.

Rex Stone

Long live the fighters
Trusted ⭐

You'd also then have to integrate the academy system into the university system as premier league teams won't want to spend 10+ years developing players only for them to be awarded to somebody else in a draft.

It's never going to happen.

Also post Bosman you’d have to enforce a salary cap across all of Europe or players will gladly go elsewhere if their earnings are capped.

The Bosman ruling let pandora out of the box and you can’t really go back to the way things were in the 90s and 80s.

Also there is a benefit to transfer fees in that they help keep smaller clubs alive. Bohemians have received a huge payment from Sp*rs buying Matt Doherty which will help guarantee the club’s future.

If you salary cap all of football and ban transfer fees, local academies will shut and many young footballers would fall through the net. Clubs in the football league would disappear.

Salary caps benefit Arsenal but there’s a whole world of football that would get destroyed.

RunTheTrap

Kai Havertz Offense League
1. If a club wants to use all of their substitutes, at least one has to be a home grown talent. I think it’s poor that some clubs stock pile on home grown talent without actually using them.
2. Turn the CL into a World Cup format where teams play one off games in neutral venues.
3. Introduction of a sin bin for persistent fouling or clumsy tackles. Basically 10 minutes for the person to cool down. Only red cards should be used for dangerous and/or malicious fouls or blatant cheating.

They need to be very consistent with the double jeopardy rule that only seems to affect us negatively.

What could work would be having second yellow cards result in a forced subsitution. In addition to this, preventing a clear goal-scoring opportunity should be a yellow card and a penalty regardless of where the foul has taken place.

I also now realise that the forced sub can only work if your team hasn't used the max number of substitutions otherwise teams would start instructing players to get sent off.

That would leave dangerous play red cards and second yellows (if your team has used their 3 subs) as the only way a match can end up 11v10.

Another thing worth considering is if the team use forced sub after someone get a red card is that, the sub cost more than regular sub.

Like teams would get 4 subs, but subbing red card player off would cost 2-3 subs instead of 1.

jvw

I'd like refs to be able to award free kicks instead of penalties for more things inside the box, like MINOR shirt pulling, contact fouls or handballs. I don't like it when a game is decided by some tiny infraction that wasn't close to a goal-scoring opportunity.

Might also help reduce diving in the box, and stop refs from pretending fouls took place just outside the box. And when they give nothing for fouls they'd have penalised anywhere else on the pitch.

bingobob

A-M’s Resident Hunskelper
Trusted ⭐

For time wasting rather than give a yellow card give the opposition a free kick from the edge of the semi circle in the opposition half. It would also apply if fans hold the ball back. Or if mangers/players messed around with subs ie taking their time coming off.

This would be a far more effective punishment than giving a keeper a yellow card and never sending them off , having fans **** around with the ball or a ref ushering players off the pitch as they do a slow walk.

Last edited:

yybecause

Formerly known as ArsenaLover
Bin away goal rule, more red cards to bring back beauty of football (pulling from back is a red, kicking the ball away at any point is a yellow etc etc).
as soon as the whistle for faul goes, opposite team cannot touch the ball at all. team who has the ball must be allowed to always take it straight away if they want

bin english refs

etc. etc

plenty to say about the var

Jackie_Treehorn

Player:Martinelli
I’d like to see another sub allowed or maybe 2.

But regarding increasing the presence of VAR or allowing a challenge system, all I can say is we need to be careful what we wish for. I’m American, and I believe our popular sports have been nearly ruined by challenges and the like.
American football is unwatchable for me now. Admittedly I was never a huge fan because the game is mostly stoppages. A couple of seconds of intense action and 30sec to a minute of absolutely nothing. And when replay/video review is used it still often resolves nothing.

A great part of the appeal football (⚽️) has for me is the continuous flow if the game. I’d like to see as little change to that element as possible. It still sucks when poor decisions are made, so maybe I’m just being too closed-minded.

GDeep™

League is very weak
Keep the 5 sub rule
Why? Think it’s a massive disadvantage to clubs with less quality on the bench, which is nearly every club outside the top 6.

Also plays into the problem I think needs to be sorted out - time wasting. Managers will make late subs to just to slow the game down.

I think Inter vs Sevilla in the EL final, in the last 10 minutes there was barely any football played because of the time wasting, and then 6 minutes were added on, which wasn’t enough.

There has to be a way where the clock stops. If a player wants to fall down for two minutes and pretend he’s injured, fine, but the clock will stop too.

KrissKringle

Reinventing VAR 😡
The hand ball rule and the overall penalty rule. Unless it's a clear goalscoring opportunity, you can't just give a penalty for every encounter that happens in the box.
I can't remember the game, but it happened recently when a player was chasing the ball going away from the box and the opponent tripped him a bit and the penalty was given. That's just ****ing stupid, if you ask me.

Tourbillion

Angry & Miserable
The penalty taker is not allowed to follow up the rebound if the keeper saves.

Baffles me this doesn't exist.

DanDare

Emoji Merchant and Believer-In-Chief
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
There's some really great suggestions. Shout-out @Aevi on the great thread.

I'd do a rule where for every £1 a club spends on a green/environmental or community project, they get say 20p to spend outside the FFP rules on transfers.

But need to think of a way to not disadvantage the small teams.

Jackie_Treehorn

Player:Martinelli
The hand ball rule and the overall penalty rule. Unless it's a clear goalscoring opportunity, you can't just give a penalty for every encounter that happens in the box.
I can't remember the game, but it happened recently when a player was chasing the ball going away from the box and the opponent tripped him a bit and the penalty was given. That's just ****ing stupid, if you ask me.
It’d be interesting to see yellow cards + free kicks for fouls inside the 18 yard box that aren’t deemed clear goal scoring chances but penalties for any foul inside the 6 yard box.

MikeVinna

Established Member
I'd stop the clock for substitutions/goal celebrations/injuries ect. The concept of added time doesn't sit right with me.

This one is so obvious I don’t understand why it’s not a rule yet. Just stop the clock when play is stopped. Make sure there’s 90 minutes of real play. Would instantly be the end of time-wasting as well.

krackpot

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
Keep the 5 sub rule
Don't like increasing the number of subs. 3 is good. 5 is like changing the whole forward line at one go.

A good rule would be to have a dedicated number of home-grown players in a team at any time, to ensure that the money is put back into the community.

Latest posts+

Top Bottom