• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

I may be paranoid, but here's the proof VAR is shafting us

boonthegoon

Arteta In by November

Player:Ødegaard
It's conformation bias. Every fan of every club think's they are getting screwed over by the refs / VAR / FA / UEFA / Aliens etc.

If it shows anything it's that the on field ref's have generally been overly kind to us in terms of decisions made and they have had to be rectified by VAR.

I'm not really sure what else anyone could take away from the VAR-less table. It seems fairly self explanatory to me.
most similar decisions for other teams were deemed not clear and obvious for VAR to rectify
happens a lot for us compared to other teams (esp top 6)

this table doesn't consider so many pens we shouldn't have got as well which leicester and utd just keep getting freely for similar things
heck I remember one mata cross going no where but accidentally hit a hand was given as pen
while us vs leeds auba shot on target was blocked by hand but nothing given
these tables doesn't even reflect the actual reality IMO we have been affected even more

there might be a little confirmation bias on my side but I have seen a lot of PL games this season but feel us and west ham have been the most ****ed over sides by ref/var. Credit to west ham they did well despite that.

CaseUteinberger

Established Member

It's just confirmation bias, lads. Every fan under the sun thinks his club is being shafted by refs, VAR, FA etc.
I would counter that with an observation of my own. Those posters that think we are not being refereed against suffer from the beaten women syndrome. Instead of raising up against the abuse, they silently accept it as a way to cope with the decades long mistreatment.

It fills me with sadness to observe it from various posters, but we all react differently. This is not meant to make you or anyone else feel bad about this physiological reaction. My anger and frustration is directed solely at the abuser.

Beksl

Sell All The Youngsters
I would counter that with an observation of my own. Those posters that think we are not being refereed against suffer from the beaten women syndrome. Instead of raising up against the abuse, they silently accept it as a way to cope with the decades long mistreatment.

It fills me with sadness to observe it from various posters, but we all react differently. This is not meant to make you or anyone else feel bad about this physiological reaction. My anger and frustration is directed solely at the abuser.

lol.

Red London

Anti-Simp Culture
Trusted ⭐
We weren't even that far away from Champions League this year, so it's not like the decisions haven't cost us.

Leicester home.
Burnley away.
Wolves away.
Villa away.

...big decisions, changed those games...could be looking at possibly 12 points, that refs/VAR have cost us, regardless of our performances.
There were also incidents like the red card(s) Palace should have gotten against us recently and that Leeds game where there was a penalty overruled for that Saka pen which was NO where near a pen.

Red London

Anti-Simp Culture
Trusted ⭐
It's funny because people will say 'but all the teams will have really unlucky things to complain about'. I'd say that firstly they have less crazy decisions than us every season.

Secondly can we name some examples of decisions we got in the Premier League our way which were extremely unlucky and clearly an oversight this season? I don't remember many incidents where we massively lucky.

Last edited:

Red London

Anti-Simp Culture
Trusted ⭐
By the way is it just me, because in the EL I've actually been laughing at fair officiating (or maybe even a tad biased our way because we are a big side), it's been completely different to the PL.

I geniunely feel like we fight against a current in the league and when we play in the EL it doesn't feel like we are battling the 12th man. United are out here playing on recruit difficulty in the PL while we play on veteran.

Riou

In The Winchester, Waiting For This To Blow Over

Player:Gabriel
It's funny because people will say 'but all the teams will have really unlucky things to complain about'. I'd say that firstly they have less. Secondly can we name some examples of decisions we got in the Premier League our way which were extremely unlucky and clearly an oversight? I don't remember many incidents where we massively lucky.

The only one that comes to mind to me, was our win over Villa under Emery in 2019, ffs :lol:

Sokratis looked to have handballed a shot from Grealish late on...that's the only one that went our way, I think.

Can remember loads against us though even last season...

Pepe being denied a clear pen v Sheffield United at 1-0 us, they went on to equalize...Nico was also denied a pen v Bournemouth, but we won, though it still annoyed me.

Horror tackle on Guendo in Freddie's first match at Norwich, no red and we went on to draw.

A clear penalty not given for a shirt pull v Sheffield United, went on to lose.

Chambers disallowed winner v Palace, still one of the worst things I have ever seen...drew.

Moving ball for Ings to score a freekick v Southampton, went on to draw.

Vardy looked offside when he scored for Leicester against us at the Emirates, another 2 points dropped.

CaseUteinberger

Established Member

I geniunely feel like we fight against a current in the league
Given how small the margins are in elite sports the fact that we are being refereed against will have an impact, especially over a whole season and across years. Teams and managers clearly have picked up on it. You can get away with a lot more against Arsenal than against other teams.

Red London

Anti-Simp Culture
Trusted ⭐
The only one that comes to mind to me, was our win over Villa under Emery in 2019, ffs :lol:

Sokratis looked to have handballed a shot from Grealish late on...that's the only one that went our way, I think.

Pepe being denied a clear pen v Sheffield United at 1-0 us, they went on to equalize...Nico was also denied a pen v Bournemouth, but we won, though it still annoyed me.

Horror tackle on Guendo in Freddie's first match at Norwich, no red and we went on to draw.

Chambers disallowed winner v Palace, still one of the worst things I have ever seen...drew.

Vardy looked offside when he scored for Leicester against us at the Emirates, another 2 points dropped.
We really seem to have comedic decisions every year. We also had Jorginho vs Chelsea for not getting the most blatant second yellow ever which they went onto win. Luiz red vs Chelsea too where Dias did similar vs Everton ad got a yellow card. I'd say the lucky thing we got last season was that Jorginho second yellow vs us in the Cup final but that atones for the previous I mentioned, as well as the fact Azpilicueta could have easily gotten sent off for pulling Auba down when he was through on goal (a red every day for an Arsenal CB)

CaseUteinberger

Established Member

Thanks mate! I was pissed off already because of something at work and now I am proper mad! 🤬

Red London

Anti-Simp Culture
Trusted ⭐
Given how small the margins are in elite sports the fact that we are being refereed against will have an impact, especially over a whole season and across years. Teams and managers clearly have picked up on it. You can get away with a lot more against Arsenal than against other teams.
I remember under Wenger where the referees were basically in tune with the opposition manager's tactics, letting teams foul and foul and foul us all game without enough free kicks or yellows. I remember an opening game vs Villa(?) where we lost like 5-6 years ago and I was just shocked at the officiating.

CaseUteinberger

Established Member

I remember under Wenger where the referees were basically in tune with the opposition manager's tactics, letting teams foul and foul and foul us all game without enough free kicks or yellows. I remember an opening game vs Villa(?) where we lost like 5-6 years ago and I was just shocked at the officiating.
Same with the challenge on Chambers this weekend. Had that been an Arsenal player it would have been a red all day long. Now I think it got the CP player a yellow. Could easily have broken Chambers' leg.

Riou

Some of the stuff teams could do against us at our peak under Arsène, was disgusting...you could tell the FA wasn't happy whenever we got ahead of Fergie's United.

That's why our 3 league wins are the best in Prem history, we were against a richer rival who had the refs on their side...no one has had to compete against those obstacles...don't know how we went unbeaten, tbh :lol:

squallman

Still Pining for Wenger
VAR has really become a boogey man for a lot of fans.

Refereeing mistakes occurred before VAR
Now mistakes still happen with VAR

What is the common denominator in both instances?

How have the media and the PGMOL managed to separate the refs from VAR I will never know. VAR doesn't make any decisions. The referee uses VAR to make a decision so if a **** up happens, that's on the referee. In fact they should get even more heat because they have technology available and they're still screwing things up.

Yet, somehow they're getting off scott free. Amazing PR

Riou

VAR has really become a boogey man for a lot of fans.

Refereeing mistakes occurred before VAR
Now mistakes still happen with VAR

What is the common denominator in both instances?

How have the media and the PGMOL managed to separate the refs from VAR I will never know. VAR doesn't make any decisions. The referee uses VAR to make a decision so if a **** up happens, that's on the referee. In fact they should get even more heat because they have technology available and they're still screwing things up.

Yet, somehow they're getting off scott free. Amazing PR

I think the reason people hate VAR so much more is...we all knew Refs had their bias and certain teams get favoured, but at least they were making instant decisions before, you could at least lie to yourself that they were fair.

Now we have a ref watching Benteke punch Elneny in the face multiple times, before saying "Yeah, yellow to both" ...mental, and its been like this for 2 seasons ffs!

Plus...not only is VAR not getting things like that right, but it's also taking away the best thing of being a fan, that joy of when ball hits the net...no longer can you just be happy, but now you have to worry if your players armpit hair was offside.

So VAR is not fixing the crap ref decisions, just highlighting their agendas...plus its stopping you celebrate goals, for bullshit offsides...people still hate refs, but VAR is just the worst...I am so glad it wasn't around until 2019.

Imagine Henry v Leeds in 2012 but with VAR?

One of the greatest moments as an Arsenal fan that goal...but instead of instant joy, you are just praying his little toe is onside...**** that, **** THAT :lol:

squallman

Still Pining for Wenger
I think the reason people hate VAR so much more is...we all knew Refs had their bias and certain teams get favoured, but at least they were making instant decisions before, you could at least lie to yourself that they were fair.

Now we have a ref watching Benteke punch Elneny in the face multiple times, before saying "Yeah, yellow to both" ...mental, and its been like this for 2 seasons ffs!

Plus...not only is VAR not getting things like that right, but it's also taking away the best thing of being a fan, that joy of when ball hits the net...no longer can you just be happy, but now you have to worry if your players armpit hair was offside.

So VAR is not fixing the crap ref decisions, just highlighting their agendas...plus its stopping you celebrate goals, for bullshit offsides...people still hate refs, but VAR is just the worst...I am so glad it wasn't around until 2019.

Imagine Henry v Leeds in 2012 but with VAR?

One of the greatest moments as an Arsenal fan that goal...but instead of instant joy, you are just praying his little toe is onside...**** that, **** THAT :lol:

This is where you're falling for media propaganda. VAR isn't getting anything right or wrong.

If I have to measure something and I eyeball it and get it wrong, then I use a measuring tape and still get it wrong. Is that the measuring tape not getting things right or me?

VAR is a piece of equipment, nothing more. The incompetent refs utilising it, are the problem.

Iceman10

Established Member
VAR ruled out a penalty against Everton with a dubious ruling of offside in the lead up. That's not really correcting an on-pitch refereeing decision in favour of Arsenal, not in a direct sense anyway.

Also, VAR could have been applied to overturn the Luiz red card at Wolves, but it wasn't, and that "incidental contact is still a red card" stuff said by pundits was undermined by inconsistency with comparable incidents that weekend, iirc United not penalised for pretty much the same thing.

I think there is something here to look into, and it should be made clear in general that VAR shouldn't come into play unless something clear and obvious is seen, but while I'm no fan of Arteta at present that isn't going to affect my overall opinions of officiating in general regarding Arsenal.

Latest posts

Top Bottom