• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Ibrahima Konate

DanDare

Emoji Merchant and Believer-In-Chief
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
Surely you don't get another CB in this age range with Saliba waiting in the wings.

GDeep™

League is very weak
Surely you don't get another CB in this age range with Saliba waiting in the wings.

Non rumour I think considering 45M or around there will be our whole budget for next summer. We won’t spend it on another CB when the attack and midfield still needs work.

DanDare

Trusted ⭐

Non rumour I think considering 45M or around there will be our whole budget for next summer. We won’t spend it on another CB when the attack and midfield still needs work.

It all depends I guess. If we keep going like this we aren't getting CL. If we get CL, Özil, Mustafi, Luiz, Sokratis, Kolasinac wages off the books perhaps with a couple of fees our budget looks a lot better.

Probably is a non-rumour for this guy although we obviously scouted them a lot zlookjng at Upamecano. Seen a lot of people rate Konate more highly but can't comment myself

GDeep™

League is very weak
Whatever happens, we sign a CB or not, young or old, I’m pretty certain we aren’t spending 45M on one.

That will be the bulk of our transfer budget. Other cash will come in because Arsenal will sell AMN, Nelson, Guendouzi etc, maybe.

GDeep™

League is very weak
I’m sure Chelsea will have a crap past it defender who they don’t need too.

We can pay that guy a sign on fee, and 200k a week like we do with Willian. People talk about taking wages off the books, but we’re just giving those wages to Cedric, Willian, Mari etc for doing very little.

Goonger

Another CB definitely makes sense. Mustafi, Luiz, Kolasinac, Sokratis and probably Chambers will all leave in the summer/January.

I'd just be surprised if we go young again.

It's mental, even if those 5 leave we still have Gabriel, Mari, Saliba, Holding & Mavropanos on our books. Unreal amount of defenders.

DanDare

Trusted ⭐

It's mental, even if those 5 leave we still have Gabriel, Mari, Saliba, Holding & Mavropanos on our books. Unreal amount of defenders.

Forgot about Mavro. He'll be sold. It depends, if we keep using 5 ATB even infrequently, 5 CB isn't that many. 4-5 you'd expect at most clubs if some are young

Red London

Anti-Simp Culture
Trusted ⭐
Whatever happens, we sign a CB or not, young or old, I’m pretty certain we aren’t spending 45M on one.

That will be the bulk of our transfer budget. Other cash will come in because Arsenal will sell AMN, Nelson, Guendouzi etc, maybe.
In opinion we were massively hampered because of the uncertainty from covid this summer, and it blocked us from offloading a lot of players. Torreira, Guendouzi, Kolasinac and hopefully Lacazette will be offloaded, to free up some cash. We could sell one of AMN and Bellerin too. Özil, Mustafi, Sokratis etc will become free agents as well.

I said this summer that next summer is going to be our true rebuild. We clearly had to work hard just to sign Partey in the end, and I think we would have signed Aouar if we managed to sell Guendouzi and/or Torreira. Hopefully Arteta doesnt continue to worry fans and we show signs of improvement so that we can stick with him for a very important summer.

So I do think we may be able to spend some money, but yeah I agree that £45m on Konate would be silly. The bulk of our money needs to go towards a creative midfielder and maybe a winger too.

MikeVinna

Established Member

Surely plenty depth wise. Quality wise I don’t know if that list contains a top class partner for Gabriel..

Malky

Established Member
Luiz, Mustafi, Chambers, Mavro and Sokratis will all leave. This is the type of defender we should be looking at, regardless of age. If we sign him, however, it gives the feeling that Saliba is a long way off being ready for the league here.
On paper Konate and Gabriel would have potential to be an unreal CB pairing.
Gabriel, Konate, Saliba, Holding and Mari is a solid option of CBs.

Malky

Established Member
No chance. Passing isn't good enough.
Konate is a pure defender first and foremost. Give me that over a ball playing CB, like Luiz or , perfect example - Stones, can ping a lovely 60 yard pass, but looks like a rabbit in headlights when he’s 1v1 with an attacker.

The_Playmaker

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
Konate is a pure defender first and foremost. Give me that over a ball playing CB, like Luiz or , perfect example - Stones, can ping a lovely 60 yard pass, but looks like a rabbit in headlights when he’s 1v1 with an attacker.

That's not what gets you in Artetas team. Otherwise Saliba would be starting.

L3T5 PL4Y

Flair Accuser
Need someone experienced and far cheaper. Need finances to go to getting a pair of midfielders and an attacker.

Malky

Established Member
Sadly true. However I like to think the Saliba situation is more to do with his own personal situation. Konate is perfect for the league physically and, for a young defender, is very experienced.
Sadly, at this point, I think Arteta would have more interest in bringing in John Stones :facepalm:

DanDare

Trusted ⭐

Thing I don't get is why Arteta was going on about Saliba "understanding what we're doing physically"

He's physically better than most of squad

Toby

No longer a Stuttgart Fan
Need someone experienced and far cheaper. Need finances to go to getting a pair of midfielders and an attacker.

Just recently had a look at La Liga CBs and Joseph Aidoo from Celta Vigo seems a neat target. Perfect age and an interesting profile going by stats. He's defensively apt, solid in the air and while playing in a more defensive team still alright in terms of passing and progressing the ball. Could be a nice little bargain for maybe 15m and I guess there's ample room for him to still develop in a better and more offensive team.

Latest posts+

Top Bottom