• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

If Wenger stays, what should change?

Rex Stone

Long live the fighters
Trusted ⭐

Looks like Arsène's going to see out his contract here at least so if we're going to avoid the treadmill of despair for the rest of his tenure, what needs to change?

Personally I reckon we need a DoF or someone who can make transfers, right now I feel too many big decisions rest with Wenger alone. Let him have input and select targets but we can't have summers where we buy just one player anymore.

Change in contract policy, give contract extensions to our best players like Özil, Alexis and Cech. Anyone who's not has to prove it on the pitch, the likes of Ox and Gibbs have been made too comfortable by big extensions which they didnt really deserve. Also giving Arteta and Rosicky extensions when they havent been able to even make it onto the field is unacceptable, takes up valuable squad space which means other players get overplayed and fall apart from injuries by March.

Revamp at board level. Never gonna happen but far too many fossils in our boardroom, who don't really give a sh*t about the club's performance.

Gooner n Proud

a.k.a. nasri_8 and Voice of Flamini
- Hope firstly the injuries abate and there are more players in our squad available for rotation and general competition to assist us in competing in the various competitions. I know Arsenal fans and the media wont admit it bu ultimately this is the real main reason why this current group haven't won the title in the last 3 seasons. In 2014 we had the highest injury frequency Man City had the lowest, 2015 Arsenal had the second highest frequency Chelsea had the lowest and in 2016 again we were top of the injuries table with Manchester United but Leicester have the lowest. I think these facts speak volumes about what the crux of the issues are at Arsenal.

- Wenger must adapt tactically and employ a secondary system to the primary passing system when that isn't getting us results. Had the team played with more directness akin to a Leicester this year or even been more pragmatic we'd certainly be much better off than we presently are.

- A long term captain must be appointed as at the moment it seems this team has no true leader on the field barring Cech but he's in goal personally I prefer the skipper to be an outfield player. If it was up to me I'd name Özil captain.

Penn_

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
Sign some players with intelligence no matter the cost and bin the Forest Gump impersonators. It’s really the only semi-realistic thing we can hope for.

krackpot

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
forget the league and start focusing on the CL next season and send him off with a CL medal. we should be around 4th with the squad we have, so just focus on the cups.

I don't think Wenger has it in him to win the league.

Aevi

Hale End FC
The fans' expectations need to change. If we all assume Arsenal will be in a relegation battle, we'll be ecstatic to see us getting 4th instead.

Makingtrax

Worships in the house of Wenger 🙏
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
Why is everyone so sure we need change?

We're currently 3rd out of 92 clubs in England.

Sod your mocking irony, you do realise you've posted something positive and truthful. I'm taking that as a complement :D

Makingtrax

Worships in the house of Wenger 🙏
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
- Hope firstly the injuries abate and there are more players in our squad available for rotation and general competition to assist us in competing in the various competitions. I know Arsenal fans and the media wont admit it bu ultimately this is the real main reason why this current group haven't won the title in the last 3 seasons. In 2014 we had the highest injury frequency Man City had the lowest, 2015 Arsenal had the second highest frequency Chelsea had the lowest and in 2016 again we were top of the injuries table with Manchester United but Leicester have the lowest. I think these facts speak volumes about what the crux of the issues are at Arsenal.

- Wenger must adapt tactically and employ a secondary system to the primary passing system when that isn't getting us results. Had the team played with more directness akin to a Leicester this year or even been more pragmatic we'd certainly be much better off than we presently are.

- A long term captain must be appointed as at the moment it seems this team has no true leader on the field barring Cech but he's in goal personally I prefer the skipper to be an outfield player. If it was up to me I'd name Özil captain.
As much as I find your posts a beacon of sensible light amidst the gloom of pessimism, I'm not sure Özil would make great captain tbh. He's amazingly skilful and quick thinking but for a skipper you need someone who can be a bit more vocal and inspirational. He should be the guy to deliver an on-field b*llocking if needed and that's what we've been lacking at times. How about the experienced world class CB we need to buy this summer?

Rex Stone

Long live the fighters
Trusted ⭐

I think an oft ignored reason for injuries is depth. With Arteta, Wilshere, Rosicky and Ox almost constantly injured, it puts strain on the remaining players.

Ramsey played a ridiculous amount of minutes before his injury against Hull for example.

We can't carry 5 or 6 injury wrecks like we seem to every year. Arteta and Rosicky have to leave and the day for Ox and Wilsh is getting nearer. Being able to rotate the likes of Özil and Cazorla early in the season could have a huge effect.

redwhiteAustrian

Tu Felix Austria
Administrator
That topic has been discussed before, and I'm a bit tempted to lock this thread, as it'll yet again turn into another Wenger-Out Thread.

For now, I'll keep it open though, hoping I'll be proven wrong.

Mr Drummond

The fans' expectations need to change.

This is actual true. Just not for this season. This season I think it was reasonable to expect us to win the PL, or at the very very minimum seriously challenge for it.

Until we have serious change at boardroom level we need to adjust our expectations massively. We think we're a top club, the board doesn't.

scytheavatar

Established Member
The same thing we say every summer- sign 3/4 top players, then we're challenging again.

This is the attitude which I think really needs to change. Look at Leicester and Sp**s's squad, try telling me they have a better group of players who can walk into our starting XI. We don't need more top players, we need more Elneny/Iwobi who actually can bring the best out of our current top players.

Top Bottom