• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Inter v Spartak

slapz

I know we're bottom of our group and expect us to be up for some Kiev bashing.

However as our group is very tight.. what would be the ideal result for us in this match as i'm confused with all the permutations

jc8gooner

You mean Lokomotiv but doesn't matter. I don't have a clue about the ideal result, tho I expect it would be better if Inter ran away with the group by beatin both Lokomotiv and Kiev in the two games they have against them. Thus, if we beat both Lokomotiv and Kiev at home, and the two Russian teams draw against each other, we could be looking at second place. Nevertheless, we do have to get a point at Inter or 3 if we want to really go into our final game against Lokomotiv at home with confidence. Btw, if Inter do run away with it by winning their next game and thus virtually guaranteeing qualif. with 9 pts, will they ease off in their last game, which is against Kiev? That could be crucial to us. Remember what Bayer Leverkusen did two years ago?

JazzG

Established Member
Good question Slapz, I have NO idea about what the ideal result would be though :?

Maybe a draw? So we will still have a chance to finish top?

Adam

Established Member
Or an outright Inter win so that they won't be too bothered against us at the San Siro.

Allyboy

Established Member
As it stands it is: Inter 6
Kiev 6
Moscow 4
Arsenal 1

So a win for Inter and for us makes it:

Inter 9
Kiev 6
Moscow 4
Arsenal 4

A draw and a win for us makes it:

Inter 7
Kiev 6
Moscow 5
Arsenal 4

A win for Moscow and a win for us makes it:

Moscow 7
Inter 6
Kiev 6
Arsenal 4

Not sure there is a lot of difference to be honest, it will be tight regardless.....

jc8gooner

Even if theyw in against Lokomotiv, they will still need something against us to absolutely guarantee it. So I doubt they will ease off against us, altho it could have a psychological effect. Remember what happened to us when we thought we had 9 points going into the last 3 games of the first group last season? We promptly lost two games and then drew the last to ensure qualification.

Feis-al

I think it would be wise for Inter to run away because, If we tie second both of us, They will look at Head-on meaning how we performed,
Arsenal Vs Inter. If we tie second with Kiev, and we beat Kiev 1-0, any win without conceeding from Kiev, would make us go thru because we have 1 away goal. If we win Spartak, and we end up second with them, We go thru.

The questions is, CAN WE BEAT THEM! Gosh Wiltord needs a break and Kanu should try his Luck

patrick42uk

Established Member
i wish we were playing inter next. this is the best time i think we will have a chance of getting a result. They are going through a transitionary period at the moment in term of changing manager and tactics as well. They will be more vulnerable whilst most of their players are finding their feet in the new system. In that sense, loko could have a chance of getting something out of the game.

AFCG7

Established Member
a draw for Inter and a win for us will send the group wide open.

7 Inter
6 Kiev
5 Lkomotiv
4 Arsenal

I would prefer a draw..since we will need Inter to go for a win when they play su to make the game more open.
We will have a difficult task trying to crack Inter's defense if they play a defensive game

Webdesignlab

Established Member
patrick42uk said:
there is no doubt what the best result between loko and kiev would be, a draw.

That is for sure. this is not beyond reason of course.

let's face it... its three wins or we are out. We CAN beat Inter on a good day, but will we have a good day? I think we will and we will get through with 10 points at the TOP of the group. How is that for blind optimism?

Then we face some dodgy Euro side and get through to the semis? Well you can but dream.

jc8gooner

We can't really think about the other game but must first make sure that we beat Kiev on Wednesday. This is not a foregone conclusion. We must play well on Wed to beat them. If we do, then we can look at the Inter-Loko result and see what has happened.

DLC

According to the calculations i did on the other thread i put Inter down to win this game. I still believe that this would be the best result as if we draw on points with the eastern european teams we have more chance of going through than if we draw with Inter

lewdikris

Established Member
The only dubious thing is if we win all three games and Inter and Kiev both pick up a win and a draw, both should win against Lokomotiv, and draw against each other in Kiev. That means unless we win 4-0 in the San Siro (forget it), Inter win the group on ten points, and it's down to goal difference us vs Kiev - ie we have to beat them by a better margin than they beat us. Horrible ****ing permutations all round then. Tomorrow is gonna be a harsh evening. We cannot conced more than one, and really need three.

slapz

so a win for arsenal and then just dont worry about what happens in the inter game

Top Bottom