Invincible memories

Discussion in 'Arsenal Talk' started by Rex Banner, Feb 8, 2018.

1. Jury

Jury Wenger Öut

I think it was mostly because Wenger was French and the press pushed their banter to where it borders xenophobia and sometimes beyond. Remember, these journos were/are also fans of other teams most of the time, and very few of them are impartial enough to give an honest account. It's a nasty combination.

2. baccy_man

baccy_man Active Member

Unbelievable team back then we had a team that played brilliant football that was fast passing and getting up the pitch quickly they were a pleasure to watch and then we had the Young guns as well,
    The youngsters that we had then were some of the best young players around at the time,
    How i long to see us playing like that again,
    I remember where i was at the end of that season i was on holiday in Majorca and people were saying that we had a great season.

3. al-Ustaadh

al-Ustaadh Professor of Twitter

It's ****ing ridiculous, isn't it? Bunch of ****s.

4. al-Ustaadh

5. Jury

Jury Wenger Öut

They're only asking. We asked too!

6. al-Ustaadh

After having two players receive broken legs... I can say we reached the point of demanding. Still went unheard.

7. Jury

Jury Wenger Öut

Its true. But from what I'm hearing so far, it looks like nobody's listening to Pep either.

8. Jury

Jury Wenger Öut

I remember that game :drool:

9. al-Ustaadh

Could've fooled me. Seems like to me he's received far more attention over this issue, and sympathy in mainstream media, than Wenger or Fabregas ever did.

10. Jury

Jury Wenger Öut

Times have changed and, yes, I've heard a bit more about it now than I did back then. Maybe we made that possible with out high profile leg breaks? Sad, but probably true. Ultimately, though, it will come down to if their players receive more protection on the pitch than ours did. So far, I don't see any difference.

al-Ustaadh likes this.
  11. Mo Britain

Mo Britain Well-Known Member

We were called every name under the sun and often punished for daring to raise the issue.

Ramsey is still abused at Stoke for the crime of having had his leg broken there. Not a peep from the FA.

albakos, Ewarwoowar and al-Ustaadh like this.
  12. Jury

Jury Wenger Öut

I don't what you expect the FA to do about Stoke fans booing Ramsey. Our own fans were booing him not long ago ffs :lol:

Ewarwoowar likes this.
  13. Mo Britain

What they do when fans boo a black player, a Jewish player, chant homophobic chants or sing songs about the size of a player's penis.

14. lamby22

lamby22 Active Member

The CL should have been ours that year. We lost to that poor Chelsea side who then went on to lose to a poor Monaco side. Monaco then lost to Porto and Mourinho. We would have beaten Monaco and Porto and who knows how Mourinho's career would have turned out.....

15. Mo Britain

That is a very sore point.

16. asukru

asukru Well-Known Member

I remember when my cousin got me to pick my team and it was all the Henry videos he showed me that made me pick Arsenal (it was around the Invincibles era) - my cousin is actually a member of this forum too (I can't remember what his username is though lol) I absolutelty fell in love with the team and I remember I was going to pick Man. U as my team until my cousin steared me and said he would never talk to me again if I did LOL - glad he did that. I love Arsenal and it's a huge part of my life!

I know this isn't really an Invincible memory but it just brings back those memories because it was around that time I chose Arsenal as my team. I will always love Arsenal - one of my greatest moments was visiting the Emirates stadium (I live in Canada) - did the tour with my ex GF and I told her to not rush me - took around 4 hours to just take it all in. To this day it is one of the best days of my lives.

Thanks for making this thread and bringing me back!

:)

Ewarwoowar likes this.
  17. Zaza

Zaza Active Member

I was 10/11 at that time. Funny enough, I remember my uncle coming on this site. We'd spend time reading the comments and it was hilarious!! He'd get pissed at how much Kanu was getting criticized.
    Losing to Chelsea was the most painful thing ever. I cried and didn't want to go to school the next day. Got ripped to shreds by Chelski and spuds fans.

18. Sapient Hawk

Sapient Hawk Part Time Optimist

To me, no game sums up the fortitude, guile and all-around class of that time as our victory at Anfield.

1 nil down inside the first 20 minutes to a Harry Kewell goal, I knew we would leave with all 3 points because none of the players would lie down.

Edu knocking in the header to get us to parity before halftime & then Edu again setting up Pires phenomenal strike that left Dudek stranded.

To quote Martin Tyler: "It was in from the moment he hit it!". After that, we never looked back.

19. Mo Britain

Edu was an ungrateful wretch.