Invincible memories

Discussion in 'Arsenal History' started by Rex Banter, Feb 8, 2018.

1. Ricardinho

Ricardinho La Liga Correspondent

The commentary on this always make me laugh when the camera pans to McLaren on the phone

albakos and Jury like this.
  2. Ricardinho

Ricardinho La Liga Correspondent

3. BigPoppaPump

BigPoppaPump Laca Respect for Alexandre

So why were the invincibles tore apart so quickly? In the space of like 2 seasons we lost pretty much all of them.

Was it because of money? I doubt it was all the money I feel like Arsène wanted to move on to his smaller more technical possession based style that would dominate the next few years. But that’s just assumption without any reference.

4. Garrincha

Garrincha Wilf Zaha Aficionado

The tight finances sure played a part but alot were on the decline so made the decisions easier.

Only a few of the Invincibles that left between 2004-2008 kicked on or even maintained their level after exit. They were joining clubs like West Ham, Middlesborough, Panathinaikos, Portsmouth, Villarreal etc. With the 30 year old players the policy at the time of only offering one year deals was an issue that I think resulted in quite a few exits.

Vieira & Cole are really the two questionable ones. We sure messed up contract negotiations with Cole over a relatively small difference. Vieira had seen his best days & wanted out in previous years but 18m for such an important figure? Not sure thats a decision Wenger would make again... Think if he had a time machine its a three man midfield with Cesc & Vieira.

Thierry I guess is the opposite example. He was expected to leave & new deal only broke the morning after CL defeat. We dried up the bank to keep him transitioning into the new stadium & that next season only played half the league games in a very moody fashion before cheap exit.

5. Flying Okapis

Flying Okapis Well-Known Member

Loved the invincibles (obviously) but that was definitely the year we should have done something in Europe. CL was won by Porto that year, as good as that one off Porto side was it was an opportunity missed imo, that would have cemented us as the best team in Europe that year without question.

****in' Wayne Bridge as well! :frustrated:

6. rich 1990

rich 1990 Loves the A-M Mods

Forum idea: Censor the name Wayne Bridge and anyone that mentions him henceforth.

7. Tir Na Nog

Tir Na Nog In Big Trouble If He Speaks

The year after when we got knocked out to Bayern wasn't exactly great either, I mean it wasn't the best Bayern side we've seen. Certainly nowhere the sides under Heynkes and Pep.

8. al-Ustaadh

al-Ustaadh Professor of Twitter

This has aged well.

krackpot likes this.
  9. Tir Na Nog

Tir Na Nog In Big Trouble If He Speaks

Riou likes this.
  10. Riou

Riou Nostalgia Merchant