• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Invincible memories

BigPoppaPump

Reeling from Laca & Kos nightmares
So why were the invincibles tore apart so quickly? In the space of like 2 seasons we lost pretty much all of them.

Was it because of money? I doubt it was all the money I feel like Arsène wanted to move on to his smaller more technical possession based style that would dominate the next few years. But that’s just assumption without any reference.

Garrincha

Wilf Zaha Aficionado
Trusted ⭐
So why were the invincibles tore apart so quickly? In the space of like 2 seasons we lost pretty much all of them.

Was it because of money? I doubt it was all the money I feel like Arsène wanted to move on to his smaller more technical possession based style that would dominate the next few years. But that’s just assumption without any reference.
The tight finances sure played a part but alot were on the decline so made the decisions easier.

Only a few of the Invincibles that left between 2004-2008 kicked on or even maintained their level after exit. They were joining clubs like West Ham, Middlesborough, Panathinaikos, Portsmouth, Villarreal etc. With the 30 year old players the policy at the time of only offering one year deals was an issue that I think resulted in quite a few exits.

Vieira & Cole are really the two questionable ones. We sure messed up contract negotiations with Cole over a relatively small difference. Vieira had seen his best days & wanted out in previous years but 18m for such an important figure? Not sure thats a decision Wenger would make again... Think if he had a time machine its a three man midfield with Cesc & Vieira.

Thierry I guess is the opposite example. He was expected to leave & new deal only broke the morning after CL defeat. We dried up the bank to keep him transitioning into the new stadium & that next season only played half the league games in a very moody fashion before cheap exit.

Flying Okapis

Most Well-Known Member
Loved the invincibles (obviously) but that was definitely the year we should have done something in Europe. CL was won by Porto that year, as good as that one off Porto side was it was an opportunity missed imo, that would have cemented us as the best team in Europe that year without question.

****in' Wayne Bridge as well! :frustrated:

rich 1990

Not A Big Believer In Diversity
Loved the invincibles (obviously) but that was definitely the year we should have done something in Europe. CL was won by Porto that year, as good as that one off Porto side was it was an opportunity missed imo, that would have cemented us as the best team in Europe that year without question.

****in' Wayne Bridge as well! :frustrated:
Forum idea: Censor the name Wayne Bridge and anyone that mentions him henceforth.

Tir Na Nog

Changes Opinion Every 5 Minutes

The year after when we got knocked out to Bayern wasn't exactly great either, I mean it wasn't the best Bayern side we've seen. Certainly nowhere the sides under Heynkes and Pep.

Riou

In The Winchester, Waiting For This To Blow Over

Player:Gabriel

006CBD9700000258-2983258-image-m-4_1425673740886.jpg

...what a photo :drool:

Tir Na Nog

After the unbeaten run ended of course but still something worth remember.

Like how they put "did you know?" at the start, of course we know it's part of he reason we're so hated still was because of stuff like this.

Tir Na Nog

To me this is ****ing crazy, I thought they started most games together. Like I know Wiltord and Edu also started a lot of games, and then Reyes second half of the season but I assumed this one started the majority of games. Maybe the Mandela effect. It's even funnier because any analysis you see of our invincibles is usually mainly of that XI. Which means that the tactics weren't always the same because it's different having Wiltord up front instead of Bergkamp for example, or Edu in midfield, or Parlour.

Also when you think of how Liverpool last season, Chelsea under Conte and Leicester in 2016 were virtually able to play the same XI almost every week, it makes the invincibles achievement more impressive that Wenger didn't have the same luxury.

Sapient Hawk

Can You Smell What The Hawk Is Cooking?
Trusted ⭐

2003-2004 unbeaten season was a great achievement but I rank both double winning seasons higher.

Especially the 1997-1998 season. We were 6 in the table by Christmas. Out of contention by any reckoning. To storm our way to the top of the table with pure grit & obstinance was just a delight to watch. Crowned by beating United at Old Trafford courtesy of Overmars' goal. I knew then we would win our first premier league title.

Proper nostalgia :drool:

Andrew Cole Linighan

Player:Saka
For me, the matches Vs Portsmouth stick out. We drew the league match at Highbury 1-1. Portsmouth managed by Harry Redknapp, took the lead through Teddy Sheringham. We equalised via a hotly disputed penalty. I can remember days after the match, Robert Pires getting criticised for the way he went down to get the penalty. Talksports Adrian Durham had a field day about it. People thought that we might not have gone unbeaten during that league season, had Pires got sent off.
We also played Portsmouth away in the FA Cup. We won 5-1, and the Arsenal team was to be applauded by the Pompey supporters. This was Pires, Bergkamp, Henry etc at there best.
The league game at Portsmouth was a 1-1 draw. Jose Antonio Reyes scoring for Arsenal.
I stayed in Portsmouth for a few days about two years ago. Went to the top of the Spinnaker Tower, fantastic views.

Andrew Cole Linighan

2003-2004 unbeaten season was a great achievement but I rank both double winning seasons higher.

Especially the 1997-1998 season. We were 6 in the table by Christmas. Out of contention by any reckoning. To storm our way to the top of the table with pure grit & obstinance was just a delight to watch. Crowned by beating United at Old Trafford courtesy of Overmars' goal. I knew then we would win our first premier league title.

The 1997/98 team was a good team. 😊👍 This was Arsène Wenger's first full season in charge. The midfield was awesome, Viera, Petit, Overmars and Parlour, who Wenger had turned into a right sided midfielder. We had Wright and Bergkamp up front, with Anelka emerging on the scene as back up. The established Arsenal back four and goalkeeper speaks for itself. To win the league and FA Cup that season was a Special Moment.

albakos

Arséne Wenger: "I will miss you"
Administrator

The 1997/98 team was a good team. 😊👍 This was Arsène Wenger's first full season in charge. The midfield was awesome, Viera, Petit, Overmars and Parlour, who Wenger had turned into a right sided midfielder. We had Wright and Bergkamp up front, with Anelka emerging on the scene as back up. The established Arsenal back four and goalkeeper speaks for itself. To win the league and FA Cup that season was a Special Moment.

I think we played our best football on the 2001/02 when we won the title.

We had some some mesmerizing performances and the way how we connected and interchanged positions, we scored some breathtaking goals. You remember how we used to pummel some teams in the first 20-25 minutes, by scoring 2 or 3 and then enjoying the rest of the match.

Sapient Hawk

Can You Smell What The Hawk Is Cooking?
Trusted ⭐

I think we played our best football on the 2001/02 when we won the title.

We had some some mesmerizing performances and the way how we connected and interchanged positions, we scored some breathtaking goals. You remember how we used to pummel some teams in the first 20-25 minutes, by scoring 2 or 3 and then enjoying the rest of the match.

What's amazing was that all our 3 defeats that season were at home, Leeds, Charlton & Newcastle in that order.

O'Leary had made Leeds a tough team & Newcastle still had a formidable team led by Sir Bobby Robson. What really rankled was losing at home to Charlton. I actually left when we were 1-0 up. Left to take care of an important errand thinking 'It's Charlton, at home, we'll swat them aside'. I come home to find Henry taking the spot-kick to make it 2-4. To say I was gobsmacked would be an understatement :lol:

Thankfully, we put things right thrashing them at The Valley 3-0 on our way to the title later that season :thumbsup:

Phenomenal season with some memorable matches up there. Beating Chelsea at the Bridge (when they were pretty much a formal 6 points for us, how I miss those days) United at Highbury with Platt's fantastic header (the man was all forehead by that point :lol:), and Old Trafford.

Arsène drilled that team fantastically & silenced the calls of "Arsène who?". Showing that you don't need intimate knowledge of a league to conquer, just good sense & tactical nous ;)

Top Bottom