• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Is Hoyte the real deal.

Jose_Reyes_2005

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
You can never really tell with youngsters.

The players you mentioned who have not made it were probarly some of the best players in their age groups 2 or 3 years ago - but then never really improved after that, for whatever reason.

The ones who have succeeded are the ones that have improved. You can never write off a youngster because they are not fully developed - they have plenty of time to develop.

Spike

Established Member
Hoyte was pretty good. He didn't panic when on the ball, only problem is his marking, the Ajax wingers kept getting past him on the right when he had his back turned.

orion

I think Arsène definitelly has him in his future plans and I think he has a good chance of eventually becoming a regular. His proposed loan deal to Ipswich doesn't seam to make sence at the moment as we've not signed Trabelsi or anyone else and with Sol also missing 6 weeks we might want to hold on to him, Toure certainly can't be spared to play on the right if Sol's not featuring in the centre of defence.

orion

And to the mark that Arsène tends to prefer foreign youngsters I don't buy it, players like Clichy were not really groomed here, but were brought here after they had impressed in their previous clubs and in youth internationals. We haven't really seen neither British nor foreign youngsters been raised to first team from our own youth system and while this is regreattable and actually rises some questions about our academy, it tells clearly there is no agenda to give only foreigners a chance.

RocktheCasbah

Established Member
I thought Hoyte played really well tonight, a very positive player and that pass down the line for Freddie was great.

calvinngai88

You can't possibly be playing those homegrown lads from the youth academy with the first team and praise them all the time. They might still lack the experience, but no doubt we can have a glimpse of their talents which will come into good use in the future. TIME! All they need is just time. Give them the vote of support, I'm sure they'll do well. By the way, you do need some foreigners to blend well to form a great team.

Players of same nationality have the same kind of "genes" that do make their skills look similar. Foreign talents give the team more sparks of creativity. As simple as that.

A

Anonymous

I have to say that I think he is 'mustard' like you brits say.
:lol:

hoyte is just an example; simek, garry, svard and Owusu Abeyie won't make it either. or at least, i don't think they will. there are however a few exceptions. cesc, senderos and bentley could be fututre first team regulars. they're all extremely talented and i can definetely see them having a future at arsenal...
too bad he messed up every single cross...
How can you be able to state that some players wont make it and others will so clearly when you obviously have never seen more than 2 games for each of them? Simek, garry and svard wont make it, but hoyte should definately be in that 2nd list with cesc, senderos and bentley. In fact i would say im more confident about hoyte making it than senderos, because senderos hasnt got me raving...yet.

By the way, ashley cole used to be a TERRIBLE crosser when he started out at arsenal and even when he was in the england team (england 5-1 germany, he couldny get the ball off the floor). But did that mean he was crap? no, he is the worlds best left back, and there is NO reason why hoyte couldnt be the worlds best right back in 5 years, to me he is very similar to ashley. I was watching cole before he even went out on loan and i said he has the potential to be a world beater, i am proud that i predicted correctly and i hope hoyte lives up to my expectations of him as i also predict now that he will be an arsenal regular soon.

Adam

Established Member
I know we are really sceptical about alot of youngsters when it comes to making it, but we can afford to really believe we will have two English full backs in the future in Cole and Hoyte.

Justin Hoyte has all the physical and technical qualities (and he will still grow - remember Ashley at 19!)

He has that composed defensive reading, and is more subdued than Ashley - that gives him that advantage. He also has the commitment, and the distribution (some lovely touches back to Jens and forward passes down the line to Freddie).

He also has this astronomical pace to support Freddie (who, for me, is not penetrating with his pace but probing largely with his laughable stepovers!). ;)

patrick42uk

Established Member
defensively i didnt think he looked great yesterday. he came up against mitea who is same age as him and only slightly more experienced. he and maxwell succeded with at least 90% of their crosses round that side. he clearly isnt ready for the robbens and giggs of this world. ipswich, if it happens, would do him a lot of good. Arsène rates him highly so the potential has to be there.

Adam

Established Member
Yes, he is similar to Clichy in the sense he relies on pace more than the tight marking. Cole is a great tight marker now - and Hoyte will have to learn this better.

But let's not exaggerate it - Mitea is a very quick and tricky player, and i think he would cause even Maldini trouble. And to be honest - he only got 2 crosses in, and nothing came of them, so it is harsh to be over-critical and make general assumptions about his marking.

KingReyes

Established Member
I think what Adam has said makes alot of sense, Hoyte uses his pace more to defend rather than marking, it seems that he prefers to let the player attempt to past him and then use his quick turn of acceleration to put in a tackle rather than marking the player who can go one on one against him. Clichy is like that, we saw it against Ronaldo in the FA Cup and its more risky. But its a learning process and both players will get better at their marking in time.

MightyArsenal

With ashley in this type of form it looks like teams might actually attack our right side more often this season meaning there is no way hoyte can play ahead of lauren.
Lets just hope justin comes good in a few seasons.

Adam

Established Member
Lauren, incidently, is a very good tight marker. It is when he has to run backwards against alot of pace or support forward with power and pace - where we need more.

But of course pace players often mean you have to sacrifice some of the marking and positional, defensive discipline a less pacey player like Lauren will give you. Truth is that players adapt around their physical attiributes and their physical potential. Lauren also has very good technique, and good distribution from full back (sets moves off). We did very well defensively last season, and Lauren was a part of that.

We just need pace and power on the right, and maybe this should come from the RM.

calvinngai88

Adam said:
Lauren, incidently, is a very good tight marker. It is when he has to run backwards against alot of pace or support forward with power and pace - where we need more.

But of course pace players often mean you have to sacrifice some of the marking and positional, defensive discipline a less pacey player like Lauren will give you. Truth is that players adapt around their physical attiributes and their physical potential. Lauren also has very good technique, and good distribution from full back (sets moves off). We did very well defensively last season, and Lauren was a part of that.

We just need pace and power on the right, and maybe this should come from the RM.

Agree. Wenger's looking for a pacy and solid RB, that's what Trabelsi can offer, not only just to tightly mark the potent opponents but also to have the pace to run back should they evade. Lauren marked players well last season, but with the new players like Robben and probably a more adapted C.Ronaldo who might not go against Cole anymore, would all try to go against Lauren, by using their tricky skills and pace and outrun him. That's what Lauren lacks of, if not he'll definitely be worldclass.

kel varnsen

Established Member
Adam said:

Georgios Seitaridis was the answer to that. probably one of the best right backs in the world; extremely fast, strong and good ball control. a powerhouse and only 23 years old...

calvinngai88

Has he signed for any club yet? I still remember the row between Porto and Real Madrid, in which he signed a pre-contract with Porto before Euro, and Madrid tried to get him by bidding higher?

KingReyes

Established Member
calvinngai88 said:
Has he signed for any club yet? I still remember the row between Porto and Real Madrid, in which he signed a pre-contract with Porto before Euro, and Madrid tried to get him by bidding higher?

As far as I know he has signed for Porto.

kel varnsen

Established Member
KingReyes said:
calvinngai88 said:

As far as I know he has signed for Porto.

think porto signed him as a replacement for ferreira. i would have loved to see him play for arsenal; brilliant player. the way he stopped ronaldo and figo, was impressive...

kel varnsen

Established Member
hoyte did ok last saturday, but i'm not convinced. he needs to hit the gym and bulk up, if he wants to be a central defender. i would definately like to see wenger bring in a new right back or a central defender...

Latest posts+

Top Bottom