• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Is The Premier League Tougher Than It Used To Be?

Is It?

• Total voters

Makingtrax

Worships in the house of Wenger 🙏
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
Or they’ve just had money pumped into the club like others before them. Come on man :lol:
Mate, their whole squad is only £100m. Liverpool is £600m+. They had no right to play so well. Ok they’ll be a long way behind Pool in May but they’ll be a long way ahead of squads with similar investments. Not sure why you can’t see a well organised football club and give them credit. :lol:

Makingtrax

Trusted ⭐

He almost bottled promotion three years running with the Championship Galacticos.

They’ve had an ok start. Still reckon they’ll get sorted out like Norwich in 2019/20. When the pressure is on him he crumbles.

Resort to Toney hoofball by November.
Their football was a million miles better than ours though. :lol: You think we’ll get 3-3 with Pool.

Rex Stone

Long live the fighters
Trusted ⭐

Mate, their whole squad is only £100m. Liverpool is £600m+. They had no right to play so well. Ok they’ll be a long way behind Pool in May but they’ll be a long way ahead of squads with similar investments. Not sure why you can’t see a well organised football club and give them credit. :lol:

Because there’s many better ran clubs in the Championship who’ve just been steamrollered by Brentford the last few years who had an owner pumping in north of 200M to the club.

Barnsley also run on “Moneyball” except they have absolutely no transfer funds at all and operate on a shoestring.

Brentford as much as their fans and Sky like to tell people aren’t reinventing the wheel. They've got cash the likes of Norwich and others could only dream of.

Rex Stone

Long live the fighters
Trusted ⭐

Their football was a million miles better than ours though. :lol: You think we’ll get 3-3 with Pool.

What’s your point? Arteta and our club are bums? Yeah I’ve always said that 🤷🏻‍♂️

Maybe Brentford being a dead club with a plastic fanbase can exist in parallel though?

A_G

Rice Rice Baby 🎼🎵
A-M CL Draft Campeón 🏆
What? They have battered Burnley, Leeds, Norwich and Palace. The fact that one lower club is really well organised, and can play with organisation and heart doesn’t mean the league is getting harder. It’s not. :lol:
4 Liverpool games is not indicative of the wider trends in the league.

BTW I don't think saying the league is tougher as a defence of Arteta either. He should quite obviously be doing better.

boonthegoon

Arteta In by November

Player:Smith-Rowe
I feel Wenger would have finished 3rd or at worst comfortably 4th. This isn't a slight on Wenger. Our squad needs some more top top quality like he would say to challenge.

Tir Na Nog

Changes Opinion Every 5 Minutes

Brentford drawing with Liverpool is proof the league is getting tougher? Fam I swear down Big Sam took his newly promoted Bolton to Old Trafford and came away with all three points and this was peak United with refs in Fergie's back pocket too.

I've got countless more examples if we want to play this game.

Makingtrax

Trusted ⭐

What’s your point? Arteta and our club are bums? Yeah I’ve always said that 🤷🏻‍♂️

Maybe Brentford being a dead club with a plastic fanbase can exist in parallel though?
Did you see that attacking substitution though. Most clubs of that size wouldn’t have gone for the winner against Liverpool. There’s really spirit in that club.

Tir Na Nog

Changes Opinion Every 5 Minutes

Neither of them could have got 20 years in the top 4 spending what Wenger had.

Imagine either coping with what Wenger had to deal with losing their best players and having to be in the black at the end of every window. Klopp lost Lewandowski and nearly relegated Dortmund. :lol:

A_G

Rice Rice Baby 🎼🎵
A-M CL Draft Campeón 🏆
What about Leicester winning the league one year after promotion?

There’s always been promoted teams who’ve come up and played really well like Bournemouth or Swansea.

All three promoted clubs going down has almost never happened while all three staying up is way more common. Brentford aren’t reinventing the wheel ffs.

Frank is an overrated bummer.
The TV deals reaching £5bn from the start of 2016 was the game changer imo.

Rex Stone

Long live the fighters
Trusted ⭐

Did you see that attacking substitution though. Most clubs of that size wouldn’t have gone for the winner against Liverpool. There’s really spirit in that club.

Ok but what about Norwich tooling City or Sheffield Utd and that crazy draw with Utd?

These games happen.

Makingtrax

Trusted ⭐

4 Liverpool games is not indicative of the wider trends in the league.

BTW I don't think saying the league is tougher as a defence of Arteta either. He should quite obviously be doing better.
This argument has been done to death in the Arteta thread. There’s been no evidence that stands up to scrutiny that the league is harder.

boonthegoon

Arteta In by November

Player:Smith-Rowe
Brentford drawing with Liverpool is proof the league is getting tougher? Fam I swear down Big Sam took his newly promoted Bolton to Old Trafford and came away with all three points and this was peak United with refs in Fergie's back pocket too.

I've got countless more examples if we want to play this game.
Any example where other than usual top 6 + Everton, teams like Leicester, west ham, Aston Villa, Brighton so many teams playing well n challenging for top 7. Brighton haven't yet, but look like doing it this season.

Rex Stone

Long live the fighters
Trusted ⭐

The TV deals reaching £5bn from the start of 2016 was the game changer imo.

Yeah but the rich have still got richer in that time. The levels between the clubs are the same they were before except just scaled up.

Big clubs underperform from time to time. Liverpool spent years in the wilderness post Rafa.

Camus

Trusted ⭐
When did a promoted team come and play like Brighton or Brentford with good attacking mindset coaches like Potter or Frank? Obv it is tougher now.
Brighton aren't a promoted team though. This is their 5th season in the PL and they were in relegation scraps in virtually everyone one of those previous 4 seasons.

Also I remember Reading back in 2006/07 came up and played some nice stuff and finished 8th. Ipswich back in 2000/01, although 4th didn't get you CL back then they were still only a couple of points off top 4 (and 3rd for a fair bit towards the end as well) and they got multiple good results against us, United, Chelsea, Liverpool and Leeds. Also knocked us out of the Worthington Cup at Highbury on their way to the semi's.

The thing is when discussing if the league is hard nor or before the same points people use to justify their positions can equally be used by the opposing party to refute it. It's a tricky thing to discuss imo, I don't even know where to being to get even a semi-objective/quantifiable metric of how you would judge it.

Latest posts+

Top Bottom