• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Is The Premier League Tougher Than It Used To Be?

Is It?

• Total voters

Farzad Stoned

Self-appointed Deprogrammer for the Cult of Mik 🟥

Player:Havertz
Like I said previously, you’re underrating Carrick. On the ball, he was a very good footballer. Players like Xabi Alonso and Carrick are fair and few nowadays. I rate Fernandinho too but they both play different roles, Carrick on the ball provides a lot more than Fernandinho would.

On VVD, he was a big loss for them last season but they had no defenders (Gomez, Matip etc were all injured plus Alisson was out too) let’s not forget that. Also, are you suggesting that the signings of Salah, Mane, Fabinho, Alisson, Wijnaldum etc didn’t improve Liverpool significantly and all the credit goes to VVD?
No but they had Salah and Mane and didn’t win any trophies till Virgil came along. And they had all those players but Virgil last year and didn’t win any trophies. Athletically he superior to the defenders you listed except a young Rio. But he is much better passer and better with ball at feet than Rio and smarter. Plus Essien isn’t a right back, he is a central defensive minded midfielder, how many of the fullbacks you listed produced a fraction of the assists of Arnold.

Tom Mix

Of course winning the PL is tougher than it used to be unless you happen to be one of the 3/4 teams with huge budgets ie big financial backers. And comparing the quality of players to other eras is frankly irrelevant. You can only compete at what you can play against now.

The reason is simple: money. The PL contains six of the ten wealthiest teams in the world so logically a greater number of the top players drift towards it. So a team starting from scratch and investing in transfers or a great youth team could have a reasonable chance of aspiring to 4th place in Spain, and 2nd in Germany or France. The bar here is higher, initial aspirations could be no higher than 7th or 8th. This is before Newcastle start their spending.

Farzad Stoned

I could have easily named that Chelsea team the year after and Cancelo wouldn’t be able to chat to Ivanovic.

Ivanovic at RB was something else.
I agree with Ivanovo as a great RB but how many times did he lead league in assists? I’ll take Arnold over all the right backs you guys listed

Farzad Stoned

Ps Carrick not in the class of Xabi Alonso, or Fernandinho in my opinion. Like I said he is a good player don’t think Pep would play him one minute

2Smokeyy

5.0 ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ (49)
Trusted ⭐

No but they had Salah and Mane and didn’t win any trophies till Virgil came along. And they had all those players but Virgil last year and didn’t win any trophies. Athletically he superior to the defenders you listed except a young Rio. But he is much better passer and better with ball at feet than Rio and smarter. Plus Essien isn’t a right back, he is a central defensive minded midfielder, how many of the fullbacks you listed produced a fraction of the assists of Arnold.

Mo Salah signed for Liverpool in the summer of 2017 and VVD signed in that same season during the January window, so I’m not sure what you’re talking about regarding trophies?! Also Salah has probably been as or even more influential for Liverpool than VVD imo as has Sadio Mane.

Them two have carried their team for large parts in previous seasons, I think people are just remembering the slightly dip from Mane but he was elite around 2018-2019.

I rate VVD but people love to overrate this current era of footballers.

2Smokeyy

5.0 ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ (49)
Trusted ⭐

I agree with Ivanovo as a great RB but how many times did he lead league in assists? I’ll take Arnold over all the right backs you guys listed

Judging by your theory then nobody can say Özil’s name as he got 19 assists in one season.

:thumbsup:

2Smokeyy

5.0 ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ (49)
Trusted ⭐

Ps Carrick not in the class of Xabi Alonso, or Fernandinho in my opinion. Like I said he is a good player don’t think Pep would play him one minute

Nobody said he’s in the class of Xabi Alonso, I said he’s a similar type of player to Alonso. Fernandinho isn’t the same type of player.

Funny that you mentioned Pep:

“I am a big fan of Michael Carrick. He is one of the best holding midfielders I’ve ever seen in my life by far. He’s the level of Xabi Alonso, Sergio Busquets.”

– Pep Guardiola

Judging by those comments he wouldn’t only get one minute but the full 90 minutes 😉 Carrick is a baller that would have suited Pep and Arsène ball.

GDeep™

League is very weak
Arnold can’t even get into the England team.

You’re talking about assists, back then you were purely picked for your defending. Arnold wouldn’t get in any of the top teams of previous years - he can’t defend.

mirrorstares

It's hard indeed, not only because of nostalgia but simply because football has changed for the worse.

A big part of City's success has been their depth, but saying no player makes it to the best of the PL despite their records would be giving full credit to Pep which is laughable. Aguero and Fernandinho are clear imo, dependable machines that fit anywhere.

GDeep™

League is very weak
Today all the teams play more or less similar football, all the players are robots, nobody can defend, the strikers of today are the poorest ever in the PL. Bank in the good old days you had 2/3 good strikers at every club.

I miss the times when every team had their own st

GDeep™

League is very weak
It's hard indeed, not only because of nostalgia but simply because football has changed for the worse.

A big part of City's success has been their depth, but saying no player makes it to the best of the PL despite their records would be giving full credit to Pep which is laughable. Aguero and Fernandinho are clear imo, dependable machines that fit anywhere.
Aguero is clear, not sure about Fernandinho, too many top mids in the PL.

Agueors will make my top 5 I think. Of all time.

2Smokeyy

5.0 ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ (49)
Trusted ⭐

Walker is better than Arnold btw.

It might seem as if we’ve got an agenda but I’d take Reece James over TAA. A top fullback should be able to defend and Trent struggles to.

TAA is a highlight reel baller, my boy Sagna is clear.

Farzad Stoned

Judging by your theory then nobody can say Özil’s name as he got 19 assists in one season.

:thumbsup:
The fact that you compare Arnold to a guy once rated the best number 10 in shows you what he can do as a RB

Riou

In The Winchester, Waiting For This To Blow Over

Player:Gabriel
When you really think about it.... Kolo Toure and Bacary Sagna >>> **** Van Dyke and the Pregnant Woman Shagger, tbh.

The 2 Liverpool lads are like the Big Bang Theory...very popular, despite being very overrated.

While Bac and Kolo are like Arrested Development...underrated, but the true Gs know that it's better.

Reckon Toure and Sagna played against much better players too...barely any elite attackers in the Prem these days, despite everyone telling me how much better it is now.

Top Bottom