• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Is The Premier League Tougher Than It Used To Be?

Is It?

• Total voters

Dj_sds -

These are the most consistently successful teams in the division. Not only that, but they boast the biggest stadiums, broadest fanbases and, as a result, the healthiest bank accounts. It’s been that way since Mansour took over City in 2008/9.

There’s plenty of articles in the web about the financial gap in revenues between the top 6 and the rest growing ever wider. Swiss Ramble is a great source. For those 6, with the right managers, they should blow the rest of the league away in a sort of mini league. And if you look at the tables over the last 10 years, by and large they have. Just the very occasional interruption by Everton, Leicester, etc.

What changed in 2019/20 is not that the league was getting harder for this bunch but Sp**s and Arsenal sacked two top managers and have struggled to replace them. Unai didn’t fall out of the top 6 but Arteta did twice. Any consistent rise of the middle teams to challenge the top 6 is a complete myth and put about as an excuse.

How is that relevant? City finished 10th in 08/09. By your logic there is a top 7 now with Newcastle's new ownership.

Can't find any articles talking about a top 6 prior to 2014. But knowing you, if they existed you would have provided them.

Makingtrax

Worships in the house of Wenger 🙏
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
How is that relevant? City finished 10th in 08/09. By your logic there is a top 7 now with Newcastle's new ownership.

Can't find any articles talking about a top 6 prior to 2014. But knowing you, if they existed you would have provided them.
Not sure what you're trying to say. Newcastle new owners haven't had a transfer window yet. How can there be a top 7?

Man City from nothing climbed to 3rd by 2010/11 and won in 2011/12. That's what a massive £1.2 bn cash injection can do.

In 2010/11 the order in the league was United, Chelsea, City, Arsenal, Sp**s, Liverpool. There's your top6 already financially installed and ruling the league 10 years ago.

The problem Arsenal had was because of the huge stadium debt large amounts were going to pay that off instead of buying players. He could only buy using player sales. There is no other example of a manager maintaining top 4 using player sales for expenditure. It's incredibly difficult

Arteta has just been given £220m to mould the team how he wants. He has it so much easier now.

Makingtrax

Trusted ⭐

Really, this thread needs to be locked, it's a massive agenda thread for Arsène abusers to both justify their actions, and their excitement at possibly reaching a position they mocked and scorned for years.

AbouCuéllar

Author of A-M essays 📚
1) It's got nothing to do with competition within the EPL
😂
2) as you correctly pointed out, our superiority has cycled up and down over the years.
Indeed. And right now it's up. From 2010-16 it was definitively down, as I demonstrated.
Really, this thread needs to be locked, it's a massive agenda thread for Arsène abusers to both justify their actions, and their excitement at possibly reaching a position they mocked and scorned for years.
The gall 😂

Not everything is about Arsène. I was a huge Arsène 'stan' for many, many years, he's one of the big reasons I became an Arsenal fan (well, Bergkamp was the main reason, and he made Bergkamp what he was at Arsenal), no one has an interest in beating down Arsène. I think we all love him, I know I do, but that doesn't mean I can't be reasonable and point out obvious realities about his reign.

It's just about having a bit of honesty and intellectual sincerity. There is simply absolutely no denying that the Premier League declined, and was at a lower level than La Liga from 2010-2016. There is also no denying that after that, essentially coinciding with the importation of the best two managers in the world to England, the league has only been getting better.

Again, it's not even really a discussion to be had, no one in football questions this, no one analysing football (not talking about talking heads of the Michael Owen sort in England, I'm talking about actual commentators and analysts of football) disputes this or even sees an argument to be had here. It's really surprising and disappointing the amount of truthers there are on this point in this forum. There's absolutely no amount of evidence or reason that suffices for you lot (you, in your misguided agenda for Wenger, others, I'm not sure why, it's truly baffling), typical of truthers.

But yeah, I agree the thread needs to be locked. Nowhere on this forum, not even the Arteta thread this summer, is as much absolute **** talked by you lot as in this one.

CaseUteinberger

Established Member

Indeed. And right now it's up. From 2010-16 it was definitively down, as I demonstrated.

The gall 😂

Not everything is about Arsène. I was a huge Arsène 'stan' for many, many years, he's one of the big reasons I became an Arsenal fan (well, Bergkamp was the main reason, and he made Bergkamp what he was at Arsenal), no one has an interest in beating down Arsène. I think we all love him, I know I do, but that doesn't mean I can't be reasonable and point out obvious realities about his reign.

It's just about having a bit of honesty and intellectual sincerity. There is simply absolutely no denying that the Premier League declined, and was at a lower level than La Liga from 2010-2016. There is also no denying that after that, essentially coinciding with the importation of the best two managers in the world to England, the league has only been getting better.

Again, it's not even really a discussion to be had, no one in football questions this, no one analysing football (not talking about talking heads of the Michael Owen sort in England, I'm talking about actual commentators and analysts of football) disputes this or even sees an argument to be had here. It's really surprising and disappointing the amount of truthers there are on this point in this forum. There's absolutely no amount of evidence or reason that suffices for you lot (you, in your misguided agenda for Wenger, others, I'm not sure why, it's truly baffling), typical of truthers.

But yeah, I agree the thread needs to be locked. Nowhere on this forum, not even the Arteta thread this summer, is as much absolute **** talked by you lot as in this one.
With @Makingtrax you have to remember that everything exists in the reality bending Wenger-warp! Nothing can exists there that doesn't elevate Wenger's achievements. I personally find it quite reassuring, that in an ever-changing world, one thing remains ever unchanging, and that is old Traxy's weird focus on Wenger this and Wenger that.

Funniest thing is, for a guy that has one other main point to make, the one around squad costs, that when the Wenger-warp meets squad cost, squad cost gives. This is why the fact that PL squads are more and more expensive compared to other leagues and itself, doesn't mean the league becomes better or more competitive. It is all very odd if you ask me, but the human mind is a difficult thing to comprehend... ;)

Makingtrax

Trusted ⭐

You always know when you’ve struck home with some well constructed arguments, character assassination and name calling always follows from the agenda merchants. :lol:

CaseUteinberger

Established Member

You always know when you’ve struck home with some well constructed arguments, character assassination and name calling always follows from the agenda merchants. :lol:
How can saying you are fixated on Wenger be character assassination, if that is what you are referring to, when being fixated on Wenger is your character? You cannot with a straight face say you are not fixated on Wenger when posting at A-M, can you?

PS. Hope it is okay to make a bit fun of things and each other! Heck, the fact that we are here debating all things Arsenal day and night is surely a thing to be made fun of.

Macho

In search of Pure Profit 💸
Dusted 🔻

It really is just an extension of the Arteta debate if you look at the posters vehemently going out of their way to prove that the league is harder.

Really obvious agenda to see through as you say.

krengon

One Arsène Wenger
Trusted ⭐

Funny seeing tweets like this all over right now. You probably get another season where the winner get 95+ points.

GeorgiaGunner

#FreeClaude
The sport (like basically every other) gets tougher every year just due to macro factors like population growth (bigger talent pool), increases in the lucrativeness of the sport (bigger draw), and advancements in tactics and training techniques. Plus, sugar daddies have added two top ~5 global clubs to the PL's specific equation.

tcahill

The gap between the top 6 and the generally midtable clubs now (Wolves, Leicester, Brighton, Villa etc) has undoubtedly grown smaller.

The relegation battle clubs are definitely more capable of causing an upset than they were a decade ago. I think people have forgotten how they used to be cannon fodder for a top 6 side.

Us, Man U, Sp**s even Chelsea slightly have definitely worsened both objectively and relatively, and are now far closer to the rest of the pack.

Pool and City are clearly the front runners, so yeah I'd say the league has gotten harder to win, while at the same time more clubs are competitive.

drippin

Obsessed with "Mature Trusted Members"

Ronaldo says EPL has been clearly the best and most competitive league in the world for the past 5 or 6 years. He of course has earlier experience from EPL, and other leagues.

He says even the smaller teams are now tough opponents to the top teams.

Top Bottom