• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Is The Premier League Tougher Than It Used To Be?

Is It?

• Total voters

GDeep™

League is very weak
In previous years you had to go to Bolton and Everton and they were allowed to kick you, there were also different styles of play to deal with - now you’re going away to Brentford or Everton and they are setting up the same.

Different era’s posed different challenges you can say. I wouldn’t say one era had it easier or tougher.

Blankety Blank

emoji merchant
What does this have to do with Arteta? This has nothing to do with him.

I specifically mentioned how many points you needed to just come 2nd for a reason; to show it's not just City. But even if we just take City as an example, you still need to beat them to win the title, so I'm not sure how that somehow detracts from the point of the league being more difficult to win? They're in the league.

The total points tally is just the only objective metric were can use to determine what you need to do to win the league, and given City and Liverpool have been the only two to get anywhere close to the league title recently, I think it's a fair way of looking at it.

If you were to look at it by saying the bottom half is worse and thus easier to accumulate points from, we'd see a widening gap between the top 6-8 and the bottom of the table. To my knowledge, that hasn't been the case.

Your point about Forest is what I'm talking about. You have relegation fodder spending silly money now and still being bottom of the table. Almost every team in the league is spending crazy amounts of money, and even if some teams used to spend in the past, the gap between the spending power of the PL and the other leagues in Europe is well-documented as having widened significantly over the last decade.

I mean ****, you have us, notoriously ****ing terrible West Ham United, buying starters from the Brazil national team, and paying out fees that smashes our previous transfer records several times in one window.

That doesn't even bring up the improvements in coaching and managers around the league (something that still has a long way to go tbf) compared to the old "British way" BS that made Wenger such a revolutionary back when he arrived. You still have duds around the league of course but in general the brand of football being played around the league is miles better than it was just 10 years ago.
Certain posters are just incredibly bitter that Arteta is doing a really good job.
You have to understand that most of these clowns🤡 wanted him sacked just over 12 months ago (some even more recently).
Even a few weeks back people were saying all Wenger teams are better than this current team🤣😅.

Tbh I think it's mainly just that the fragile ego brigade simply can't take being wrong.

CaseUteinberger

Established Member

What does this have to do with Arteta? This has nothing to do with him.

I specifically mentioned how many points you needed to just come 2nd for a reason; to show it's not just City. But even if we just take City as an example, you still need to beat them to win the title, so I'm not sure how that somehow detracts from the point of the league being more difficult to win? They're in the league.

The total points tally is just the only objective metric were can use to determine what you need to do to win the league, and given City and Liverpool have been the only two to get anywhere close to the league title recently, I think it's a fair way of looking at it.

If you were to look at it by saying the bottom half is worse and thus easier to accumulate points from, we'd see a widening gap between the top 6-8 and the bottom of the table. To my knowledge, that hasn't been the case.

Your point about Forest is what I'm talking about. You have relegation fodder spending silly money now and still being bottom of the table. Almost every team in the league is spending crazy amounts of money, and even if some teams used to spend in the past, the gap between the spending power of the PL and the other leagues in Europe is well-documented as having widened significantly over the last decade.

I mean ****, you have us, notoriously ****ing terrible West Ham United, buying starters from the Brazil national team, and paying out fees that smashes our previous transfer records several times in one window.

That doesn't even bring up the improvements in coaching and managers around the league (something that still has a long way to go tbf) compared to the old "British way" BS that made Wenger such a revolutionary back when he arrived. You still have duds around the league of course but in general the brand of football being played around the league is miles better than it was just 10 years ago.
Best post in this thread for a long time! :bullseye:

What I find funny is that there is a general agreement on A-M that investing in a squad improves the quality of a squad. Having a good manager also helps improve a team we would all agree. And when that happens league wide over an extended period in PL, somehow this should not make the league more competitive? It is so ridiculously agenda driven it is unreal! :facepalm:

db10_therza

🎵 Edu getting rickrolled 🎵
Trusted ⭐

Player:Martinelli
Certain posters are just incredibly bitter that Arteta is doing a really good job.
You have to understand that most of these clowns🤡 wanted him sacked just over 12 months ago (some even more recently).
Even a few weeks back people were saying all Wenger teams are better than this current team🤣😅.

Tbh I think it's mainly just that the fragile ego brigade simply can't take being wrong.
A lot of posters are also trying to be graceful and send some praise on Arteta but keep getting flogged by the “I told you so” brigade and end up thinking ‘why bother’ … it’s an endless cycle

Blankety Blank

emoji merchant
A lot of posters are also trying to be graceful and send some praise on Arteta but keep getting flogged by the “I told you so” brigade and end up thinking ‘why bother’ … it’s an endless cycle
Fair observation . This tit for tat thing is a problem.

Most/Loads tbf have the grace to not say anything or as you allude to give credit to the manager👍

Some unfortunately
continue to be snide or backhanded with their 'compliments' though.
You know deep down they really still want him to fail.

Perhaps their online ego is simply too bruised?🤔 🤣.

Those man imho need to learn to be humble.

Don't forget people who simply supported a young manager got absolute dogs on here for a very long time from many. These posters often got a barrage so tbh some of the more salty ones therefore should at least be able to take a little back.

Tbf I've never flogged anyone.
Only respond & try to guide those who continue to chat sh!t😁

db10_therza

Trusted ⭐

Fair observation . This tit for tat thing is a problem.

Most/Loads tbf have the grace to not say anything or as you allude to give credit to the manager👍

Some unfortunately
continue to be snide or backhanded with their 'compliments' though.
You know deep down they really still want him to fail.

Perhaps their online ego is simply too bruised?🤔 🤣.

Those man imho need to learn to be humble.

Don't forget people who simply supported a young manager got absolute dogs on here for a very long time from many. These posters often got a barrage so tbh some of the more salty ones therefore should at least be able to take a little back.

Tbf I've never flogged anyone.
Only respond & try to guide those who continue to chat sh!t😁

I mean I’ve seen examples of people giving Tets “conditional” love and then get criticised for attaching the conditions. Which makes no fkn sense to me. Only person in this world that gets unconditional love from me is my son. That’s it. Certainly not Arteta. It comes back to being entrenched in war camps and losing objectivity in the process. If you can’t assess a post on a football forum on merit then you got issues…

Entropics

Established Member

Player:Saka
Not surprised people arguing it is tougher bring everything except the football as a source, points, money, people...

The football tells you something that would have been considered laughable just a few years ago, but it's for that same reason that you would expect to bounce back at least a bit soon.

Dokaka

AM's resident Hammer

I agree with this, I just found it very odd that @Nacho would somehow tie my post to Arteta given neither the thread title nor my post had anything to do with him. Nacho probably falls into the category you mentioned and I've seen him give Arteta plenty of praise and "admit" (for lack of a better word) to being proven wrong in some respects. To my knowledge - and feel free to correct me - I haven't done a lot of "dunking" on poster who were very anti-Arteta, outside of triggering Fastcar4Doors or whatever into going on Trump rants.

The only thing I ever had with Arteta was the opinion that he was doing quite well, which has now upgraded to me thinking he's doing extremely well for obvious reasons. I admit I might be guilty of invoking Wenger's name to try and prove a point at times which - understandably - immediately muddies the discourse on here given his stature and admiration. That's on me and I regret doing so. It has never been my objective to bash Wenger or his legacy on here, he's one of the most respected managers in history for a reason. But at the same time, it becomes toxic when any criticism of him, no matter how slight, is immediately seen as an attack. Criticize the things you love etc.

I really wish people on here would get over seeing everything through the "I was right/wrong about Arteta" lens when discussing things. This thread's got nothing to do with Arteta or Wenger; saying the league is tougher now is not a dig at Wenger or an attempt to praise Arteta. I would've said the same thing if literally any other manager was in charge.

db10_therza

Trusted ⭐

I agree with this, I just found it very odd that @Nacho would somehow tie my post to Arteta given neither the thread title nor my post had anything to do with him. Nacho probably falls into the category you mentioned and I've seen him give Arteta plenty of praise and "admit" (for lack of a better word) to being proven wrong in some respects. To my knowledge - and feel free to correct me - I haven't done a lot of "dunking" on poster who were very anti-Arteta, outside of triggering Fastcar4Doors or whatever into going on Trump rants.

The only thing I ever had with Arteta was the opinion that he was doing quite well, which has now upgraded to me thinking he's doing extremely well for obvious reasons. I admit I might be guilty of invoking Wenger's name to try and prove a point at times which - understandably - immediately muddies the discourse on here given his stature and admiration. That's on me and I regret doing so. It has never been my objective to bash Wenger or his legacy on here, he's one of the most respected managers in history for a reason. But at the same time, it becomes toxic when any criticism of him, no matter how slight, is immediately seen as an attack. Criticize the things you love etc.

I really wish people on here would get over seeing everything through the "I was right/wrong about Arteta" lens when discussing things. This thread's got nothing to do with Arteta or Wenger; saying the league is tougher now is not a dig at Wenger or an attempt to praise Arteta. I would've said the same thing if literally any other manager was in charge.
Well said. I think the one thing we can ALL AGREE on is that the last couple of seasons has seen terrible standards as even West Ham has managed successive top8 finishes. Dusted league 😘

CaseUteinberger

Established Member

Well said. I think the one thing we can ALL AGREE on is that the last couple of seasons has seen terrible standards as even West Ham has managed successive top8 finishes. Dusted league 😘
@Dokaka - In all honesty. What do you think is the reason for West Ham doing less well this season than earlier despite investing quite heavily? I think Moyes seems like a solid manager although maybe a bit stale by now just given his age. Do you think it is the league being better mainly or something more having to do with West Ham?

Dokaka

AM's resident Hammer
@Dokaka - In all honesty. What do you think is the reason for West Ham doing less well this season than earlier despite investing quite heavily? I think Moyes seems like a solid manager although maybe a bit stale by now just given his age. Do you think it is the league being better mainly or something more having to do with West Ham?

Moyes is an extremely rigid manager and his brand of football is weird. It can produces exceptional football at times but often it becomes ugly and unimaginative. It's build from a defense first perspective and - in fairness to Moyes - our big CB signing of the summer got a long term injury before even playing a minute of competitive football for us. He has also struggled to incorporate Scamacca, eerily similar to how we struggled to incorporate Sebastian Haller who is by all accounts a good striker. Comes back to the rigidness of Moyes' style of football. Bowen is also in a slump and that combined with Scamacca's start to the season has basically left us worse off in attack than last season.

If you look back at Moyes' Everton days, this current form doesn't look that atypical. He got them to consistent upper table finishes but the football wasn't always exactly a joy to watch and the teams they picked up points against seemed almost random, losing to relegation fodder only to then win away against a good team etc.

A part of the fan base wants Moyes' out, of course. I'm honestly a bit indifferent about the whole thing. I'd get rid if a proper replacement was lined up - Poch has been mentioned here but honestly seems like a bit of a stretch. I'd obviously get rid of Moyes immediately if we actually had a chance of getting in Poch. I don't see the point in firing him just to flail about looking for a new manager though.

Doesn't help our squad is small as **** and we have European games.

CaseUteinberger

Established Member

Moyes is an extremely rigid manager and his brand of football is weird. It can produces exceptional football at times but often it becomes ugly and unimaginative. It's build from a defense first perspective and - in fairness to Moyes - our big CB signing of the summer got a long term injury before even playing a minute of competitive football for us. He has also struggled to incorporate Scamacca, eerily similar to how we struggled to incorporate Sebastian Haller who is by all accounts a good striker. Comes back to the rigidness of Moyes' style of football. Bowen is also in a slump and that combined with Scamacca's start to the season has basically left us worse off in attack than last season.

If you look back at Moyes' Everton days, this current form doesn't look that atypical. He got them to consistent upper table finishes but the football wasn't always exactly a joy to watch and the teams they picked up points against seemed almost random, losing to relegation fodder only to then win away against a good team etc.

A part of the fan base wants Moyes' out, of course. I'm honestly a bit indifferent about the whole thing. I'd get rid if a proper replacement was lined up - Poch has been mentioned here but honestly seems like a bit of a stretch. I'd obviously get rid of Moyes immediately if we actually had a chance of getting in Poch. I don't see the point in firing him just to flail about looking for a new manager though.

Thanks for the insights! Well, hope you hammer Leicester over the weekend! No pun intended! ;)

Blankety Blank

emoji merchant

That's a very good take on things👍. Problem with many modern football fans is they Demand success & if they don't get it almost instantly the managers head is on the line.
It depends when you come from though. My family are from Blackpool so I unfondly remember you winning the play off final some 12 or so years ago to get back in the prem.
Moyes has done better than anyone since then in giving you stability & recent success. The problem with success though is that it brings expectation. Arsène suffered with this when top 4 was no longer seen as good enough.

Leicester have done well in recent years. Fans were wanting Rogers potted not long ago for a shaky start. Could they really get a better manager?
Geez even some Liverpool fans have been questioning Klopp!!!
Expectations have been raised for the Hammers you have a big stadium & the fans want more.

Thing is now with the takeover at Newcastle you will have 6 massive clubs + Sp**s 🤪 with their fans all thinking they should be top 4 & it simply doesn't compute. Man City are a shoe in. Outside that Half of those teams will be disappointed every single season.
As will West Ham/Leicester if they don't push for Europe. You then have clubs like Villa who have very wealthy owners & fans who were getting excited a couple of years ago bidding for ESR but realistically at the moment 10th is probably about their level.

Simple fact is all clubs can't be successful. Football is Cyclical. We know look to have a team on the up, Liverpool for instance may have one on the slide?
It doesn't mean Klopp is a bad manager if he doesn't get top 4.
Arteta took over a team on the slide. He stopped the rot & then went on to win the FA cup which imo showed he is a competent coach.
Obviously 8th place was disappointing but I always maintained at the time we had a 5th-8th place squad so it wasn't that the wheels totally came off.

Back on topic I am 100% sure the league is harder. Never has the competition for top 4 been so strong & City have almost took it to a differen planet imho.

BergMan

Betrayed by Xhaka
I remember us winning the league with 72 points. That’s only 3 points more than our fifth placed finish last season.

AbouCuéllar

Author of A-M essays 📚

Top, top post.

Gooner416

Master of Stonks
Trusted ⭐

Club sitting bottom of the table has four internationals going to the WC -- when else was this a thing? Bottom half of the table has definitely become more competitive than it was in the past, largely due to the massive PL revenues.

drippin

Obsessed with "Mature Trusted Members"

De Bruyne says that all the smaller teams have much more money to spend, so the league gets tougher and tougher. Which is what I have also said about the matter.

Top teams can only play 11 players at one time, while there is much bigger pool of players as football has become more and more popular. So the smaller teams can now get very good players from Europe with all that money, so their starting eleven will be very competitive and also saturated.

They have better squad cost than in earlier seasons, so it's fairly simple in the end. But some people still deny it for different strange reasons.

Sanchez11

Nobody Is Coming!

Our rivals are saying the league is weaker, pundits/ media saying it is more competative. Which is it?

Riou

In The Winchester, Waiting For This To Blow Over

Player:Gabriel
Our rivals are saying the league is weaker, pundits/ media saying it is more competative. Which is it?

Neither and both, tbh.

The league is just strong, as it has always been... certain teams just get better/worse.

Latest posts+

Top Bottom