• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Is The Premier League Tougher Than It Used To Be?

Is It?

• Total voters

Makingtrax

Worships in the house of Wenger 🙏
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
So take that as a no then, correct? You don’t think Wenger would have challenged for the title.
This isn't about Wenger, it's about whether the league is getting harder for teams like Arsenal. And the data shows its not.

CaseUteinberger

Established Member

This isn't about Wenger, it's about whether the league is getting harder for teams like Arsenal. And the data shows its not.
Of course it is about Wenger! It is always about Wenger. That is where this latest line of rigid/obsessive arguments originates. In case the league would have become harder to win over time, it would throw some shade over Wenger’s achievements, which must not happen.

Makingtrax

Trusted ⭐

Of course it is about Wenger! It is always about Wenger. That is where this latest line of rigid/obsessive arguments originates. In case the league would have become harder to win over time, it would throw some shade over Wenger’s achievements, which must not happen.
Lol. Try reading the links I posted, look at the data, have a think and get back to me about the subject matter in hand. Do you have a view on it etc. That's how discussions work.

CaseUteinberger

Established Member

Lol. Try reading the links I posted, look at the data, have a think and get back to me about the subject matter in hand. Do you have a view on it etc. That's how discussions work.
I think the graphs comparing points over seasons not actually supporting your argument particularly. Plus without proper legends they are not the easiest to decipher.

Think the latest post around income better in supporting the argument you are trying to make.

The overall weakness is that you are looking at various data groupings within the PL and comparing them to each other and drawing conclusions from that on a question that isn’t about groups within the PL but about the PL as a whole.

Makingtrax

Trusted ⭐

I think the graphs comparing points over seasons not actually supporting your argument particularly. Plus without proper legends they are not the easiest to decipher.

Think the latest post around income better in supporting the argument you are trying to make.

The overall weakness is that you are looking at various data groupings within the PL and comparing them to each other and drawing conclusions from that on a question that isn’t about groups within the PL but about the PL as a whole.
It's not about the PL as a whole. This is the mistake other posters are making. The relative strength of the PL as a European league is a whole other discussion. This is an Arsenal forum and it's about competitiveness within the EPL for Arsenal.

It's all based on posts people have made about lower expectations because of the rise of middle ranking and lower clubs, a leveling out if you like. The data presented in the links I've posted show the exact opposite is occurring. Arsenal have never had it so easy.

shoom

Wages + amortization is by far the best metric of actual spend. When you look at that the idea of treating the 'big six' as a group in its own right doesn't make much sense. The reality is a bit more nuanced:

FJX6Mp-X0AQVIsm.jpeg

Rex Stone

Long live the fighters
Trusted ⭐

Wages + amortization is by far the best metric of actual spend. When you look at that the idea of treating the 'big six' as a group in its own right doesn't make much sense. The reality is a bit more nuanced:

View attachment 5621

So Chelsea and Utd are just massively underperforming or City really are that good?

Interesting.

Makingtrax

Trusted ⭐

View attachment 5621
To see the whole picture there's all the financial data Swiss Ramble posts and the Performance data. Together you can see an ever increasing gap.

CaseUteinberger

Established Member

It's not about the PL as a whole. This is the mistake other posters are making. The relative strength of the PL as a European league is a whole other discussion. This is an Arsenal forum and it's about competitiveness within the EPL for Arsenal.

It's all based on posts people have made about lower expectations because of the rise of middle ranking and lower clubs, a leveling out if you like. The data presented in the links I've posted show the exact opposite is occurring. Arsenal have never had it so easy.
1. Read the freaking thread title! "Is The Premier League Tougher Than It Used To Be?"

2. No, what you posted does not support that "Arsenal have never had it so easy". That is what you are inferring from the data. I actually draw the conclusion that the PL is more competitive than before. Money is pumped in to the league, the PL has a larger share of the best coaches and players, also for the mid table clubs.

I know the above point 2. in your view does take away some of the shine from Wenger's achievements, but they do not. He competed during his era and did it well for a long time. Simply leave it with that.

Makingtrax

Trusted ⭐

1. Read the freaking thread title! "Is The Premier League Tougher Than It Used To Be?"

2. No, what you posted does not support that "Arsenal have never had it so easy". That is what you are inferring from the data. I actually draw the conclusion that the PL is more competitive than before. Money is pumped in to the league, the PL has a larger share of the best coaches and players, also for the mid table clubs.

I know the above point 2. in your view does take away some of the shine from Wenger's achievements, but they do not. He competed during his era and did it well for a long time. Simply leave it with that.
Lol.

Is it tougher than it used to be for Arsenal? Or tougher than it used to be for other European leagues to compete with?

I suggest you read the opening post by the poster who started this thread and you’ll see it’s all about the top 6 and competition within the league.

I’ve put this thread to bed. You’re still losing your sh!t about Wenger and trying to change the direction of the thread like a straw man.:lol:

CaseUteinberger

Established Member

Lol.

Is it tougher than it used to be for Arsenal? Or tougher than it used to be for other European leagues to compete with?

I suggest you read the opening post by the poster who started this thread and you’ll see it’s all about the top 6 and competition within the league.

I’ve put this thread to bed. You’re still losing your sh!t about Wenger and trying to change the direction of the thread like a straw man.:lol:
If that post makes you feel better be my guest. We all know the reason for your position on this topic and what your lodestar is when arguing in a certain way!

Blankety Blank

emoji merchant
Just watched Leicester V Sp**s missing players & the standard of the prem is absolutely scary.
Both teams overtook us when Arsène was here. Now 1 may not even manage top 6 this season.
Just let that sink in.

I would back them both to finish top 4 in any other league in Europe.

Makingtrax

Trusted ⭐

Just watched Leicester V Sp**s missing players & the standard of the prem is absolutely scary.
Both teams overtook us when Arsène was here. Now 1 may not even manage top 6 this season.
Just let that sink in.

I would back them both to finish top 4 in any other league in Europe.
Yeah, Leicester 10th, rubbish this season. West Ham the only team challenging the top 6, but they're going to drop like a stone soon because Sp**s, Arsenal and United have games in hand.

Top 6 pulling away again. The league getting easier and easier for them.

Riou

In The Winchester, Waiting For This To Blow Over

Player:Gabriel
Worst they've been for a while.

Think's that's their golden period possibly over, don't think they have the money to replace the players/characters they have that are aging now.

Good news for us though, especially with Newcastle becoming the latest Oil Money FC.

Blankety Blank

emoji merchant
What are you talking about, Leicester looked absolutely woeful...even with players missing, they looked relegation level :lol:
😁Well they have just won 3 on the bounce & been ahead of us for years.
Only reason they didnt beat a rejuvenated Conte team tonight was 2 deep injury time goals.
Perhaps the squad lacks some depth compared to the best teams in Europe/EPL but Rodgers gets a lot of plaudits for being a good manager.

Makingtrax

Trusted ⭐

Well they have just won 3 on the bounce & been ahead of us for years.
Lol. Only since Arteta's been in charge. Unai finished ahead of them and Arsène beat them 21 years out of 22.

There is no rise of the middle and lower teams it's a complete myth. Just Arsenal Sp**s and United struggling temporarily with managerial problems. I've presented some irrefutable data if you bother to look, the gap is widening.

This thread's finished bro.

Blankety Blank

emoji merchant
Lol. Only since Arteta's been in charge. Unai finished ahead of them and Arsène beat them 21 years out of 22.

There is no rise of the middle and lower teams it's a complete myth. Just Arsenal Sp**s and United struggling temporarily with managerial problems. I've presented some irrefutable data if you bother to look, the gap is widening.

This thread's finished bro.
Well i disagree more top managers & players are now in the prem than ever. its obvious the middle teams are rising, take out the traditional big 6.
Leicester have won the title & fa cup. Villa have billionaire owners & brought in players like Coutinho ffs.
Everton have spent half a billion to virtually stand still, It simply shows how tough it has become. Newcastle will soon be adding to the mix.
All prem teams have international quality players now.

Hardest league in Europe by miles & getting stronger every year.

The days of mid table teams being full of cloggers are long gone.

Thread is closed now bro 😁

Latest posts+

Top Bottom