• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Ismaila Sarr

Slartibartfast

CIES Loyalist
Why Havertz?

Well, the Bundesliga website referred to him last year as "the next Michael Ballack." He's also drawn comparisons to a young Özil, but he's physical like Ballack and has a powerful shot. Creative. Great vision. This is his 2nd season as a fixture in Leverkusen's starting lineup and he started 15 games for them in 2016-17. He just turned 19 in June. One of the best young players in the Bundesliga.

L3T5 PL4Y

Flair Accuser
Well, the Bundesliga website referred to him last year as "the next Michael Ballack." He's also drawn comparisons to a young Özil, but he's physical like Ballack and has a powerful shot. Creative. Great vision. This is his 2nd season as a fixture in Leverkusen's starting lineup and he started 15 games for them in 2016-17. He just turned 19 in June. One of the best young players in the Bundesliga.
He is a good talent but I don't see where we fit in another attacking midfielder.

Aevi

Hale End FC
He is a good talent but I don't see where we fit in another attacking midfielder.
I'm assuming he'd be taking the space that Ramsey will be leaving vacant. I'd prefer getting a winger and have Özil or Iwobi taking the #10 spot, but if Emery wants to continue with them out wide Havertz is a good alternative.

dashsnow17

Doesn’t Rate Any Of Our Attackers
Trusted ⭐
Sarr is gettable, as I said I think he’d be a sort of Theo replacement. Havertz though, wanting him and landing him are two very different things. Leverkusen will hold onto him for dear life, they know he’s a special talent.

L3T5 PL4Y

Flair Accuser
I'm assuming he'd be taking the space that Ramsey will be leaving vacant. I'd prefer getting a winger and have Özil or Iwobi taking the #10 spot, but if Emery wants to continue with them out wide Havertz is a good alternative.
That makes sense. Havertz looks like can play striker too.

Sometimes if you have an opportunity to acquire that kind of young talent, you just do it.
Yeah, I guess its a chance worth taking. And his age means he doesn't have to be put in the starting line up right away.

Just that I'd rather invest on a winger also.

HBL

Established Member
From the limited amount of time I've watched Pepe and Sarr I've been more impressed with Pepe. Much better at dribbling and has a better all round game, 3 years older though and Bayern seem to be sniffing around him.

Eirico

I trust Sven when it comes to buys like these. We hired Sven to do exactly this, buy the next Dembele’s before they really break through and become unavaileble to us due to inflated price tags. Hopefully Sven finds 1-2 young prospects every window. Happy with the acquisitions of Guendouzi and Mavropanos so far. A young pacy winger makes some sense even though we have Nelson, Amaechi and Saka for the future. I guess Sarr, if we buy him, maybe has the potential to make a difference already this season unlike the other three young wingers on our books.

OnlyOne

‘Donkeys don’t have a peak, they remain useless’
Trusted ⭐

We should be absolutely all over that. He's in that bracket off young wingers who could be very very good. For that price it's a no brainer.

El Duderino

That's, like, your opinion, man.
Seems to rely a lot on the ol' knock the ball forward and use pace that we've seen with Walcott and Bellerin, feel Pepe has a bit more in his locker.

Tough with the French league, in the end we've got to trust Sven to sort out the Gervinhos from the Hazards.

The_Playmaker

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
Neither Sarr or Pepe are good enough. The only advantage that Pepe has is that he seems quite strong on the ball, but he has many flaws to his game and you shouldn't read too much into his statistics. If we buy a winger from the French league he should be able to beat multiple defenders and create his own goals. Neither Pepe or Sarr do that. The Lille owner seems even more annoying than Aulas. £80 million price tag slapped on him apparently.

OnlyOne

‘Donkeys don’t have a peak, they remain useless’
Trusted ⭐

I trust Sven so if he deems him good enough he is to me, 16 million is f*ck all.

HBL

Established Member
Neither Sarr or Pepe are good enough. The only advantage that Pepe has is that he seems quite strong on the ball, but he has many flaws to his game and you shouldn't read too much into his statistics. If we buy a winger from the French league he should be able to beat multiple defenders and create his own goals. Neither Pepe or Sarr do that. The Lille owner seems even more annoying than Aulas. £80 million price tag slapped on him apparently.
Is this based on your youtube scouting? Pepe and Sarr aren't flashy dribblers but they can both dribble to a decent enough standard. We need someone with productivity, we have two goal scorers in our current squad, if one of them gets injured we could be in a poor situation. I'd argue every team in the top 6 but Chelsea has more goal scoring options than us:
City: Aguero, Sterling, Sane, Silva, De Bruyne & others from the bench.
Sp**s: Kane, Son, Eriksen & Alli.
Liverpool: Salah, Mane, Firmino & Shaqiri. Not so much Firmino this season but they're getting away with it because they're so good defensively.
United: Martial, Rashford, Lukaku, Lingard and Pogba. I doubt any of them will get 20+ but all of them will probably score more than Mkhi or Iwobi will for us.
Chelsea have the same problem as us, not enough sources of goals with their midfield 3 of Kovacic, Kante and Jorginho they're far too reliant on Hazard which is probably why their results have started to tail off recently.

Not sure why you're so obsessed with dribbling stats, I don't care if Saint-Maximin (who I've seen you post about a lot) completes 4.2 dribbles per game, it's utterly meaningless if he doesn't have the end product to make those worthwhile.I'm not sure Sané/Sterling/Mane/Son are brilliant at dribbling at all but are they effective? Yes. They only complete 2.1,2.3,1.8 & 1.1 dribbles per 90 mins compared to 1.9 for Pepe and 1.8 for Sarr, even Hazard only has 2.8, the difference is negligible.

You talk about Pepe/Sarr like they have no qualities. They're both quick/direct wingers that want go attack as soon as they get the ball. Both showing great signs in terms of end product and decision making and both shield the ball well. Pepe is the more impressive player at the minute but Sarr is three years younger and could have a very high ceiling.

HBL

Established Member
Ah, pretty sure my post was too long :lol:

There was a video attached and a bit more writing, oh well.

Top Bottom