• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Its about time wenger changes the team abit

A

Anonymous

flog bergkamp to scunthorpe because he is hurting the team

too slow and old.

Jkreffer

Established Member
bergkamp too old and slow!?
Just shows what a ****ish comment that is. Never been the quickest but thats not the point with the great man. He misses one chance and suddenly hes crap. Hes been vital in some games this season like Tottenham and Birmingham. He even had a hand in the goal against Southampton anyway!
Leave Dennis alone, the longer he is here the better!

siddharth

For a CHANGE we can try Pennant in place of Ljunberg but the idea of swapping positions of freddie n dennis is completely illogical :shock: n utter nonsense :bash

Jinn

Established Member
Firstly we'd have to recall him!

I don't think it will happen for the moment.

The thing about Freddie, is that he's not really a winger. He doesn't do those things that wingers are supposed to do... you know fly down the touchline and then send in a cross. He doesn't do that.

He's more of a poacher, good from coming in deep where defences don't exactly know what he's doing. As the song says, he's everywhere when he's on song. He pops up exactly when Henry or Bergkamp are ready to thread a ball into space.

At the moment, our strengths are clearly on the left side. If, as some pundits say, Arsène Wenger is trying to strengthen the right to be as formidable as the left, he has to play Kolo at RB. Lauren at RB doesn't work. He just doesn't have the defensive presence of mind. Perhaps Lauren could be a right winger for us? I don't know whether it would work, but I'm pretty sure Lauren would get a lot of confidence by having Kolo behind him.

So where does that put Freddie? In all honesty, this leaves him on the bench. His role isn't to be a winger - his role is to score goals by popping up unexpectedly.

It's a bit of a dilemma actually - and Arsène Wenger will have to give this some thought, if he doesn't want our team to remain lopsided.

Adam

Established Member
The youngsters are bringing the freshness to the team for this season. It is important to have a refreshed squad after a season of dissapointment.

siddharth

Jinn said:

Don't worry Pennant will be back on 20th of this month.
Leeds have a 19th jan deadline to find a buyer and i don't think any sensible man or for that matter any ***** would invest in the club.
Leeds will certainly go into ADMINISTRATION.......

Mark

Established Member
some of the comments on here are unbelievable. bergkamp is not great with his head but then again none of our 'strikers' really are. he missed what may have been a pretty easy chance but it didn't cost us the game and bergkamp has been playing well this season for a guy his age so lay off him.
freddie isn't really a winger, but that doesn't matter as him and pires mostly drift into the centre, crossing isn't really part of our game, if wenger decides he wants to introduce that into our game then he'll change the tactics and buy a RM or play pennant there.

Adam

Established Member
Jinn said:

The thing about Freddie, is that he's not really a winger. He doesn't do those things that wingers are supposed to do... you know fly down the touchline and then send in a cross. He doesn't do that.

He's more of a poacher, good from coming in deep where defences don't exactly know what he's doing. As the song says, he's everywhere when he's on song. He pops up exactly when Henry or Bergkamp are ready to thread a ball into space.

At the moment, our strengths are clearly on the left side. If, as some pundits say, Arsène Wenger is trying to strengthen the right to be as formidable as the left, he has to play Kolo at RB. Lauren at RB doesn't work. He just doesn't have the defensive presence of mind. Perhaps Lauren could be a right winger for us? I don't know whether it would work, but I'm pretty sure Lauren would get a lot of confidence by having Kolo behind him.

So where does that put Freddie? In all honesty, this leaves him on the bench. His role isn't to be a winger - his role is to score goals by popping up unexpectedly.

It's a bit of a dilemma actually - and Arsène Wenger will have to give this some thought, if he doesn't want our team to remain lopsided.

And if we get a striker who is giving us Freddies goals in the box - then what is his use on the right?

It would be far more advantageous to have a real RM. Freddie cannot do what a typical RM would. He doesn't have the strength to beat a man on the outside, or the outstanding speed and skill, and he isn't a great crosser. And there are the times when Freddies floating and central forays up front, and into the box leave us defensively indisciplined down the right - DEMANDING a strong right back.

Lauren can do a fair bit on the right, but there are still better options than him at RM for a club like Arsenal.

Let's pinpoint the weaknesses in the team right handside and centrally:

CB - when Kolo isn't there. Cygan isn't the long term option, neither is Keown.
RB - when Kolo isn't there
RM - Ljungberg as described above.
CM - Gilberto who's job it is to sit deep but in the end it puts us on the back foot (Parlours match at Southampton showed the way Arsenal can hold onto possesion and help to dominate the game at a tough away ground without Gilberto - and people wonder why we didn't hold onto leads last season!) I must say that Vieira's form helped Parlour greatly too. Gilberto is recessive, while it is up to the partner to be dominant and box to box.
CF - While Wengerball can function without one, it can certainly be more efficient with one, and make us a more balanced and stronger team. Especially down the right as this player would allow Freddie to make way for a disciplined RM.

Solutions?

Trabelsi/Volz allowing Kolo to move central. Senderos developing into world class to allow Kolo to go to RB (this way we can have Freddie at RM perhaps).

New signing at RM/Pennant/Thomas

CM - Yaya Toure?Cesc?

CF - Kluivert/Aliadiere (lacking physically and perhaps wrong type of player, young - so could evolve)

Perhaps if we had what was above, we would be top of the league without nothing up as many draws as we have. Add to that - Wengerball perhaps would be flowing like never before. And maybe instead of scraping into the top 5 of the CL and proudly mentioning it - we would be proud in saying "a great European team". The Inter 5-1 was a closer match than this score, and while i am greatly pleased by it - i still remember how certain facets of our game lacks in the CL.

This is all pending this season, and we can still do it, but we would improve our chances of doing so by these sort of improvements which aren't hard to see.

This is a optimum critical perspective. It isn't working to say that we can't win silverware.Wengerball isn't broke - it is however, not optimized and as efficient as it could be in an ideal way, and if we didn't discuss how we could improve the team on the forum "ideally" then we'd be one bored bunch. :D

kajej

I think this move could work and I don't understand why some ppl are going crazy and saying Ljumberg can't play there. You don't need dribbling or passing skills to play target man..all you need is to take your chances when you get them. I would play Henry slightly behind Ljumberg and we have a lot of choices to fill in RM such as: Wiltord, Lauren, Parlour, Pennant and even Bergkamp!
As some already said though, Arsenal are not a team that run up the flanks and cross the ball, their wingers are used as players who pop up in the box when they are needed. I still do think that Ljumberg can give Arsenal more goals if he is played as the target man with Henry behind him. Arsenal wouldn't have to necessarily change their tactics, just make them more usefeul.

kajej

I think this move could work and I don't understand why some ppl are going crazy and saying Ljumberg can't play there. You don't need dribbling or passing skills to play target man..all you need is to take your chances when you get them. I would play Henry slightly behind Ljumberg and we have a lot of choices to fill in RM such as: Wiltord, Lauren, Parlour, Pennant and even Bergkamp!
As some already said though, Arsenal are not a team that run up the flanks and cross the ball, their wingers are used as players who pop up in the box when they are needed. I still do think that Ljumberg can give Arsenal more goals if he is played as the target man with Henry behind him. Arsenal wouldn't have to necessarily change their tactics, just make them more usefeul.

patrick42uk

Established Member
Adam said:
Perhaps if we had what was above, we would be top of the league without nothing up as many draws as we have. Add to that - Wengerball perhaps would be flowing like never before. And maybe instead of scraping into the top 5 of the CL and proudly mentioning it - we would be proud in saying "a great European team".

[/b]

i dont think anyone can make that assertion. Lets look at the positions you mentioned. RB, CB, CM, CF, RM. In the past, we have had the likes of dixon, adams, petit and a more prolific bergkap to fill these roles. I dont think you could have classed any of those as weak links. Yet, that team never amassed as much points as we have these season at this stage. I think the current squad is the strongest we'v had for a long time. to suggest that it is a rb, cb, cm, cf, rm short (half of the outfield positions!) surely cannot be true considering the points we have and being unbeaten domestically. Add to that all the records this particular crop of players have broken along the way.

JazzG

Established Member
You need to be very strong on the ball and have a presence upfront, something which Freddie doesn't have.

I'm not keen on dropping Freddie as I feel he has done too much for this club in recent times and to drop him would be unfair imo.

However we do need a proper right winger + a target man. We become to predictable at times and we need someone else who will hit the back of the net on regular basis to take the pressure off Henry. With a good right winger we wouldn't rely on our left side as much which can only be a good thing!

patrick42uk

Established Member
to be honest i think henry thrives on having all the pressure on him. taking it away can have a detrimental effect on his performances

Adam

Established Member
patrick42uk said:
Adam said:
Perhaps if we had what was above, we would be top of the league without nothing up as many draws as we have. Add to that - Wengerball perhaps would be flowing like never before. And maybe instead of scraping into the top 5 of the CL and proudly mentioning it - we would be proud in saying "a great European team".

[/b]

i dont think anyone can make that assertion. Lets look at the positions you mentioned. RB, CB, CM, CF, RM. In the past, we have had the likes of dixon, adams, petit and a more prolific bergkap to fill these roles. I dont think you could have classed any of those as weak links. Yet, that team never amassed as much points as we have these season at this stage. I think the current squad is the strongest we'v had for a long time. to suggest that it is a rb, cb, cm, cf, rm short (half of the outfield positions!) surely cannot be true considering the points we have and being unbeaten domestically. Add to that all the records this particular crop of players have broken along the way.

Great differences - expectation is higher from performances and acheivement since then. Wengerball reached a height which could be improved upon for the reasons listed. Do you dispute any of the reasoning?

Pinpointing Lauren, Gilberto, Ljungberg and Bergkamp as areas that need strengthening is something that has been talked about for a long time. It's easier for a man to defend and think everything about the club he loves is perfect, but it's better to see the improvements and look forward. Why would Wenger say he has targets if he didn't realise the imperfections?

JazzG

Established Member
You need to be very strong on the ball and have a presence upfront, something which Freddie doesn't have.

I'm not keen on dropping Freddie as I feel he has done too much for this club in recent times and to drop him would be unfair imo.

However we do need a proper right winger + a target man. We become to predictable at times and we need someone else who will hit the back of the net on regular basis to take the pressure off Henry. With a good right winger we wouldn't rely on our left side as much which can only be a good thing. Right now we have the best side Arsène Wenger has ever had with Arsenal, just needs 3 more players for it to be abit more balanced. Players who might be available for a good price in the summer are Kluivert and Trabelsi. I can't think of any good RM available cheap in the summer, Joaquin, Quaresma and Van Der Meyde are names which come to mind but I doubt any of them will be available cheap :(

kajej

How about Giuly as RM he is 28 but he would be a great asset to the team, one of the best RM around right now. I don't think he would cost much if we get him before Euro.

Adam

Established Member
I think betweeen either Pennant or Jerome Thomas we have a potential RM. We do have some in-house solutions, but it depends what level they are and what level they can go and what level they can take us to.

Giuly definitely isn't the right option. Joaquin nice, the rest you mention there Jazz - no imo.

If Toure stays at RB, we could afford to play Stepanovs RM!

Top Bottom