• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Ivan Toney

• Thread starter A_G
  • Start date
  • Replies 1,246
  • Views 75,861

Is Toney an upgrade on Gabriel Jesus at CF?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dashsnow17

Doesn’t Rate Any Of Our Attackers
Trusted ⭐
About where I’m at. He’s got the stats but they don’t match the eye test. Makes you wonder if he can take the step up.

He has 19 non-penalty goals, 5 pens and 9 assists. He has 0.9 goals and assists per 90( minus pens), which is very good. He's taking nearly 3 shots a game this season, which is good, but down from 4.2 last season. The best strikers take lots of shots, Harry Kane is taking 3.7 this season, down from a high of 5.3 in 2017/18.

There's no xG data from the championship though, so you can't really see whether he's massively overperforming or whether he's performing as expected. I guess you'd need more data to predict how he'd do in the PL. But he's scored 74 goals in the last 3 seasons, and I guess in a simple way the best indicator of future goals is past goals, no?

I've only seen clips so I don't know, but if he can offer a skill set which we don't have then it could be a good idea. Also we have other players who can score and do spectacular things, it's not like he'd be your main guy. Plus he's gonna be a hard worker and good character, coming up from the lower leagues.

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
Watched a couple Brentford games this season and the thing I liked most about Toney was his passing. Very interesting CF talent, really good hold-up play aswell and not a slow coach like Giroud.

He'll cost a pretty penny IMO but he's more than decent.

avenellroad

John Radford’s son
Very DCL like in his play with huge potential upside. £30mill is a bit steep for someone with a year of playing championship football though. 25 -28 would do it I think

GoonerJeeves

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Difficult to compare a £30m Toney to a £20m Edouard. Who is the most likely to be a success here? Best deal for the money?

Blood on the Tracks

AG's best friend, role model and mentor.
Trusted ⭐

Player:Rice
£30m sounds a bit on the steep side. I think we could probably get him a little cheaper as long as Brentford don't go up. I really rate him though. Would be a shrewd bit of business at the right price.

He'll get slaughtered here though if he doesn't start banging them in from the off. Not the sort of striker most Arsenal fans will take to style wise, unfortunately.

Gooner416

Master of Stonks
Trusted ⭐

Dominic Calvert-Lewin would be my #1 choice for a CF signing but Toney is in a similar mould and I'd take him here even at that steep fee. He'd take on a third of Lacazette's wages and we can sell Nketiah to recoup a good chunk of the fee.

Breezy ®

I don’t see the hype with him. He’s banging them in in the championship but the standard is pretty poor over there. For 30M I’d pass.

Goonger

I don’t see the hype with him. He’s banging them in in the championship but the standard is pretty poor over there. For 30M I’d pass.

Ollie Watkins has done well since banging them in in the Championship.

Who would you go for?

Breezy ®

Ollie Watkins has done well since banging them in in the Championship.

Who would you go for?

Personally I’d prefer Edouard.

Depay, Isak, Malen, Darwin Nunez, Pedro Guilherme, Daka, Gouiri, Arthur Cabral, Jonathan David, Vlahovic and André Silva are all great options too.

Goonger

Personally I’d prefer Edouard.

Depay, Isak, Malen, Darwin Nunez, Pedro Guilherme, Daka, Gouiri, Arthur Cabral. Jonathan David. Vlahovic and André Silva are all great options too.

Probably more difficult to score in the Championship than Scottish football, and I say that as someone that's Scottish.

Although I can't argue, I think Edouard would be a good option as well.

GDeep™

League is very weak
30M :facepalm:. He looks an interesting talent but you want more for that much.

Links like Toney and Edouard scream midtable. Toney will be a massive project, and Edouard looks your typical talent that is flooded across Europe, nothing special.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts+

Top Bottom