• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

"i've not been able to play my first 11 since 2004&quot

sabret00the

Established Member
seriously if 12 months go by and you're unable to field your first eleven for that entire period. you need to make changes to your first eleven or have your competency questions. fix your problem with the windows that's what they're there for. spending three years living on a hope and a prayer that things may sort themselves out is naive and unacceptable at this level.

it's a disgusting endorsement of mourinho's moaning "if mourinho couldn't win with injuries for one year then it's ok for me to finish fourth for two years running" **** no!

morpho

Established Member
You're just not looking at the big picture Sabre...off course you have all the reasons to be frustrated, but its not like Wegers just gave up either is it? I believe he has done his best in very difficult situations... it just not all his fault... name me one manager (besides murinho) who buys players just because his own is injured? There is a time when the injured player gets better. Normaly. Its not living on a hope, that the injury situation will restore itself to normality is it? Its not that we have the money to buy us out of the situation either is it? And its defenitely not his fault that Reyes was a mummyboy and became homesick or that Baptista just couldnt cope with this league. Its neither his fault that one of our breed backstabed us, forced on us a CB that wasnt quite what we needed. And what do we actualy know about the financial status of our club? Maybe even his youth policy is somewhat forced upon him? One thing though thats his fault. We changed stadium. How the players dealt with that, is not.

Viper

Established Member
RockyRocastle said:
Talking of 2004, Sky classics before was our game vs Leeds from that year, the one where Henry was unplayable and scored four.

It brought back just how brilliant we were, only three years ago. Where has it all gone so wrong?!

Our defence was solid with Sol, Vieira in the middle, Bob and Wiltord on the wings and Den and Henry upfront. Edu, Reyes (when people thought he was good), Parlour on the bench. What a f'ing team.

Why did Wenger feel the need to break that team up so quickly? It should have won a lot more than it did.

The likes of Hleb, Adebayor, Baptista, Senderos would not have gotten within a million miles of that team.

Was depressing watching really. Nice of them to put Anfield 89 on aswell to cheer me up though!
There is a huge gap in experience between the two teams though.

Eboue, Clichy, Fabregas, Diaby, Denilson, Adebayor and to some extent, Van Persie, are all inexperienced players in comparison to their 2004 counterparts.

We only have a few experienced players in Gallas, Henry, Ljungberg and Gilberto, and somewhat Toure.

Where as in the 2004 side, pretty much the whole side was experienced, bar Toure who had his second season at the club back then.

Allyboy

Established Member
The thing is though, all those above players abilities deteriorated, and some of them quickly. It all happened at the same time, so you can actually see how we got rid of all of them.

The only two looking back which made no sense to me was letting Edu go, and then letting Vieira go, and then having no replacement for him.

All the others being let go have all made sense to me (though whether we should have let them go for nothing is another matter).

The balance in our squad is not quite there, but what would you rather have? A squad full of players who were once brilliant but talents were on the wane and will all need to be replaced pretty much at the same time, or a squad full of inexperiened but highly talented youngsters who will only get better?

Obviously ideally you want a few youngsters, a few seasoned pros and mainly players in their prime and thats why we are behind the top teams.

We will definitely challenge though at some point, whether that is next season or next decade will come down to Wenger in the transfer market this summer....

go49oner

Established Member
RockyRocastle said:
Talking of 2004, Sky classics before was our game vs Leeds from that year, the one where Henry was unplayable and scored four.

It brought back just how brilliant we were, only three years ago. Where has it all gone so wrong?!

Our defence was solid with Sol, Vieira in the middle, Bob and Wiltord on the wings and Den and Henry upfront. Edu, Reyes (when people thought he was good), Parlour on the bench. What a f'ing team.

Why did Wenger feel the need to break that team up so quickly? It should have won a lot more than it did.
The likes of Hleb, Adebayor, Baptista, Senderos would not have gotten within a million miles of that team.

Was depressing watching really. Nice of them to put Anfield 89 on aswell to cheer me up though!

Spot on. "You'll never win anything with kids."once famous tosser said. But how right was he.

Perfect example is AC Milan.

Had we kept the same team with 2 or 3 new decent signing, Am almost sure we would of won more things and would of achieved so much more in Europe.

'89 :worthy :worthy

Biggus

Established Member
RockyRocastle said:

I think Wengers inflexible policy of only giving 1 year contracts to over 30's has hurt us and must be revisited.
Forget about the move to the Grove, injuries, tactics & formations, they're all secondary things. The simple fact of the matter is the players we have now aren't as good as before.

Nutsy

Established Member
Biggus said:
RockyRocastle said:

I think Wengers inflexible policy of only giving 1 year contracts to over 30's has hurt us and must be revisited.
Forget about the move to the Grove, injuries, tactics & formations, they're all secondary things. The simple fact of the matter is the players we have now aren't as good as before.

Thought I said that before. "Built for the future" is all good, I have no problems with it really. but, I think after our reserve has already been labelled as the best on Europe. I think we're set. Hope Wenger starts to break bank really. We're set for the future, but now, let's start winning trophies with experience.

Fact is aswell, that we've lost a lot of key experience players too many in the space of 2-3 years which could be the cause of our trophyless seasons. but what can else can you do?

tactica442

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
Biggus said:
RockyRocastle said:

After Highbury Apartments are completed, I reckon Wenger will not be strict on this over-30 policy. Still the premise is Wenger decides to stay after '09.

Nutsy

Established Member
Biggus said:
Gunners_Nadz said:
Thought I said that before.

Sorry Nadz missed it.

nah.No worries. ;) I think Wenger will extend his contract before it ends next season. Call me naive or whatever, but I can't see him go off anywhere except if he retires.

Biggus

Established Member
Why would he want to? No matter who owns the club he will be allowed almost total control over football, facilities and personel. Thats what makes all this DoF nonsense a farce.
Where else would you get a job in top class football like that?
Err not including computer games. :wink:

Nutsy

Established Member
Biggus said:
Why would he want to? No matter who owns the club he will be allowed almost total control over football, facilities and personel. Thats what makes all this DoF nonsense a farce.
Where else would you get a job in top class football like that?
Err not including computer games. :wink:

shoot! I was gonna say computer games, but you got me there. Yeah, Wenger's influence in the whole club is big enough that I wouldn't be suprise if he takes up the whole board. (technically he already did). It's when you have investors like Roman could change everything no matter how good you are. heh heh, I bet Maureen's dreaming of Wenger's job. (when he goes to HELL) :D

athreya74

http://blogs.guardian.co.uk/sport/2007/ ... ardew.html

Guardian's Paul Wilson and Portsmouth keeper with dodgy hairstyle, David James discuss the season. Two questions leapt out:

Q:Are Manchester United definitely the best team in the country, and how do you rate them alongside other recent champions?
DJ Yes, although Liverpool are in their second Champions League final in two years, which can't be ignored. I've enjoyed watching Man United. But Arsenal going unbeaten in 2003-04 makes them the best team ever. That side was the best I've played against. Every position oozed class. They were special.

Q: In 2004 Arsenal were unbeaten; this season they lost to West Ham, Fulham, Man City and others at the wrong end of the table, and are 22 points behind the champions on the final day. How come, and will they do better next season?

PW Arsenal were all but unplayable in 2004, until opponents began to realise you had to defend much deeper and deny them space to run into. Teams that defend well, like Bolton, or are willing to defend in numbers, have always been in with a better chance of winning by nicking a goal than teams who try to play football against Arsenal and end up leaving gaps all over the pitch. Better next season? Only Thierry Henry knows.

DJ They've struggled with injuries. They've missed Henry and Robin van Persie, and it's put a strain on the rest of the team. But if they keep that side, in another few years they'll be awesome.

It is a million dollar question, whether Arsène can bet on respite from injuries, isn't it?

Biggus

Established Member
Wenger can cry all he wants about how injury hit we have been, but the fact remains that the board has said that the money is there if he wants it, And I believe them. But our manager- possibly uniquely in the football world has a economics degree and likes to keep a tight reign on the finances. Indeed we know when Arsène does fork out, the results are mixed at best. So is there a limit on how far a squad assembled for a pittance can go? because the fact is we lack class in several areas.

athreya74

Biggus said:
Wenger can cry all he wants about how injury hit we have been, but the fact remains that the board has said that the money is there if he wants it, And I believe them. But our manager- possibly uniquely in the football world has a economics degree and likes to keep a tight reign on the finances. Indeed we know when Arsène does fork out, the results are mixed at best. So is there a limit on how far a squad assembled for a pittance can go?

Since 2005, the verdict on Arsène's big name (big fee and/or lots of hype) signings have been poor.

Reyes - flopped due to off-field issues
Hleb - jury is out
Walcott- too early
Adebayor - Success
Rosicky - Close to being a success, next season will tell.

(Not counting Gallas as he was not planned)

That's a poor record for a club that is on belt tightening mode and for a manager known for his transfer coups. Scouts should take some of the blame and Wenger some of it. That is why this season I would want Wenger to be really careful. If he can't get the quality he wants, better not sign anyone rather than settle for mediocre goods.

Biggus

Established Member
athreya74 said:
If he can't get the quality he wants, better not sign anyone rather than settle for mediocre goods.

Thats usually what happens Athreya. Wenger should be Scottish as he is very canny with his money. :wink:

Still It won't help us if we again fall short next year.

j'nuh

Biggus said:
Wenger can cry all he wants about how injury hit we have been, but the fact remains that the board has said that the money is there if he wants it, And I believe them. But our manager- possibly uniquely in the football world has a economics degree and likes to keep a tight reign on the finances. Indeed we know when Arsène does fork out, the results are mixed at best. So is there a limit on how far a squad assembled for a pittance can go? because the fact is we lack class in several areas.

You cant compensate for losing your two best strikers for an entire season collectively with money. Let alone the other injuries weve had this season.

Striker wise, we've got the best depth in the premiership.

DOUBLE-YOU

is there such thing as having a best side. since Reyes arrived, no-one has known what arsenal's best side is. There has been too many options.

Zico

Established Member
I think that our first 11 is pretty obvious. That would be the team jkreffer posted earlier - lehmann, clichy, gallas, toure, gilberto, rosicky, cesc, hleb, van persie, henry.

What worries me is that the first 11 is so easy to pick. This is why Wenger needs to start shedding some of his marginal players as he has done with Larsson and Muamba in the last few months, and replace them with one or two super quality types who can challenge for places. I don't believe that with a 60 game season you can afford to have such little real competition for places.

Top Bottom