• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Jack Wilshere (Out)

Status
Not open for further replies.

bingobob

A-M’s Resident Hunskelper
Trusted ⭐

What a load of nonsense.

Jack ain't going nowhere. He is seriously under-rated here probably because he was originally over-heralded. He is still one of our brightest players with undeniable talent.
I'd say he has undeniable potential and questionable talent, due to inconsistency, primarily.

If Jack was fit he should be one of the best in the league, but he hasn't and he isn't. Now he is 23 and should be nearing his prime instead he will have to use his prime to develop into the player he should already nearly be and hit full peak when most players begin a slow decline.

Now if you apply any type of risk based assessment Jack flags up. Age is increasing, limiting opportunities to progress, his injury record is very poor and presents a risk, his place in the starting Xi is under threat (personally he doesn't start for me) which means his England position is under threat. The only way Jack gets to where he ought to be is game time, which is limited by him not being a starter, or if he does start potential injuries. Any cost benefit has to be in favour of selling him for the right price, but that yields risk that he may get over his injuries, get a consistent run, establish himself as a first name on the team sheet and become indispensable.

It is all potential and 40 m for a player who might hit the heights expected is a lot when you consider the rightly associate risk that he might not. Two or three seasons ago I wouldn't have considered selling him but reevaluating id rather the guaranteed money over uncertainty.

GDeep™

League is very weak
Ramsey is a notch above btw, in terms of what they've shown and what they're potentially capable of producing in the coming years.

Jack doesn't touch Rambo, and if anything, it would be that which could lead to a potential departure for Jack, one day. Jack will always be in the shadow of Rambo.

BobP

Memri Fan
Marginally though, Ramsey is a bit loose in that department but he is far superior to Wilshere in so many other departments.

They can both play together, they just need to do what they're best at and not what they think they're best at, Jack made his name in the 2010-2011 season as a deep lying midfielder, if he is withdrawn slightly alongside someone like Coquelin with Ramsey being the more active of the two with his vertical shuttling because that is what they're best at.

Don't want to see the rubbish we saw earlier in the season where both run at the opposition with reckless abandonment. Jack also needs to improve the defensive side of his game.

SiMamu

Part time Leeds fan
Since returning from his injury, Wilshere's lost the positional discipline he had in his first breakthrough season. he bombs forward too much as his mind has been polluted with the English obsession with goal scoring midfielders, like Gerrard and Lampard, unable to comprehend the positionally astute midfielder who contributes when the cameras aren't on him. Now Wilshere disregards his defensive duties to bomb forward, despite getting a nosebleed everytime he gets near the opponent's box. Wilshere was better in 2010/11 because he was tidier and was more willing to do the dirty work, whilst Songinho brought the flair next to him. He needs to go back to that mentally, of team glory before the personal glory of more goals and assists.

DJ_Markstar

Based and Artetapilled

Player:Martinelli
I'd only sell Wilshere for a huge fee, but I would now sell him if it were up to me. The midfield has shown that it is perfectly functional and no one has missed him.

My only problem would be if we did not buy a starting quality player to eventually take over from Santi as he is going to be getting on a bit very soon.

Anzac

Established Member
I'd only sell Wilshere for a huge fee, but I would now sell him if it were up to me. The midfield has shown that it is perfectly functional and no one has missed him.

My only problem would be if we did not buy a starting quality player to eventually take over from Santi as he is going to be getting on a bit very soon.

Crowley & Zelalem are the potential heirs apparent.

The_Playmaker

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

I wouldn't even sell Wilshere for a huge fee. We didn't buy Wilshere so the only thing we lose on him is wages and in the grand scheme of things that isn't big deal for us. He has juts turned 23, although people say he isn't young anymore, for a box to box midfielder it is. He is likely 3 years away from his peak. The whole point of a squad is to keep it competitive and to keep youth coming through. Cazorla is 30 and Rosicky is 33. Cazorla can't keep up his level for an entire season. He has a dip at some point as does Ramsey. So having Wilshere there is a no brainer. I wouldn't sell him for £50 million because we wouldn't spend the money. We would just bank it.

DJ_Markstar

Based and Artetapilled

Player:Martinelli
This whole idea that we wouldn't spend the money is now daft, we smashed our transfer record for Özil and then spent another £30m on Sanchez the following season. These are decent fees for world class players. If we sold Wilshere for £50m I'd bet my house on us buying 1-2 world class players to replace him, not that he's worth £50m.

Iceman10

Established Member
We wouldn't just bank it. Gazidis said a day or two back that just staying in the top 4 cannot be taken for granted with the big spending by clubs around us that will happen with the new TV deal. I know not everything he says should be taken at face value but the club knows it cannot relax and has to spend to avoid going backwards, let alone winning the PL (and CL). Anyway, personally I don't see us selling Wilshere this summer.

GDeep™

League is very weak
How long does he have on his deal? Some journo on Sky yesterday, said Jack wants to open negotiations over a new contract.

Dokaka

AM's resident Hammer
How long does he have on his deal? Some journo on Sky yesterday, said Jack wants to open negotiations over a new contract.

That's interesting if true. Maybe he can feel the pressure building from both the fans and the media, and he wants to secure a new deal now when he's still seen as a "star of the future" type of player.

DanDare

Emoji Merchant and Believer-In-Chief
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
Selling Wilshere is a decision we would come to regret and I think there is no way on earth Wenger will let him go. I also don't think he has any desire to leave

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom