• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Jack Wilshere: Where to now?

Status
Not open for further replies.

blaze_of_glory

It would be weird and frankly disgusting otherwise. But as a worker you always want the sure thing I guess?

Just pay him what he would agree on. He deserve it. He is local and has done nothing but bleed for the badge.
Yes you want the sure thing, but as I said he already has complete financial security and more for the rest of his life. It takes one professional contract for these guys to never have to worry about money again. He's beyond that already. 80k a week for 52 weeks, think about that. Most people don't come close to working 52 years even if they are making 80k a year.

Yes you want the sure thing, but as I said he already has complete financial security and more for the rest of his life. It takes one professional contract for these guys to never have to worry about money again. He's beyond that already. 80k a week for 52 weeks, think about that. Most people don't come close to working 52 years even if they are making 80k a year.

Yeah but you know how it is with rich people. You have the agent saying "I'm sure I can get 10-15k extra".

It is funny because we who dream about stuff like having 80k per week we think "If I had it for two years, all my life would be secured". But you'd be sure if we actually managed such deal we would be "I can get more". :lol:

scytheavatar

Established Member
Thats not even the main example! What about Theo ****ing Walcott!!! The club bent over for him & gave him the world.

Walcott like it or not was an important part of our attack for many years and a consistent source of goals...... Wilshere ATM is just a squad player and is yet to establish a place in our squad. The last thing we need is to pay big wages to a player who can't even make our bench.

IslingtonBornandbred

Here's an interesting one.

So you offer Wilshere 80,000 a week which is a pay cut but you include performance/appearance based bonuses which takes his weekly wage to 120,000 a week.

Or you offer him 120,000 a week which isn't a pay cut and it's actually a pay rise and you dress it up alongside Wenger's comments about wanting him to stay.

Are you really going to risk losing Jack Wilshere, a player with a transfer value of at least 20 million right now for the sake of potentially saving 2 million a year if he gets injured and doesn't play the whole season?

In my opinion, the club are playing a very silly game with Wilshere and one that doesn't make sense. If they don't want to keep him or aren't bothered then that's fine...they can offer their take it or leave it pay cut performance related contracts. If they do want to keep him, then there's only one loser and that's the club. Wilshere gets a better contract elsewhere with a signing on fee whilst having the pick of clubs in the Premier League bar a few with some interesting options abroad like Milan, Valencia level clubs etc. The club that gets him doesn't pay a transfer fee and we lose out. We lose out on the transfer value as well as the qualities of the player.

I understand the sentiment of the type of contract being offered but that's not how footballers and agents work. The second you say we want to keep you but here's a pay cut with an appearance based bonus you start to think hang on a minute they don't actually really want to keep me. It's the standard way they think, especially if you've got other clubs interested as well.

Last edited:

James Bond

Moderation Consultant
Walcott like it or not was an important part of our attack for many years and a consistent source of goals...... Wilshere ATM is just a squad player and is yet to establish a place in our squad. The last thing we need is to pay big wages to a player who can't even make our bench.

Either you foolishly really don't rate Wilshere's ability, you have VERY VERY high hopes for Sven being backed heavily by Slient Stan this summer, or you're trolling.

Jack Wilshere "can't even make our bench" :lol: :lol: :lol:

A_G

Rice Rice Baby 🎼🎵
A-M CL Draft Campeón 🏆
In the last 5 seasons Ramsey has played 8900 minutes in the league, Wilshere - 3700 minutes.
So...? In that time Wilshere been scythed down by Daniel Agger, Paddy McNair and Gabriel. Why should he be penalised for impact injuries?

Nobody is saying give him a raise, but a £10,000 a week paycut from the the club that is literally paying Mertesacker for nothing is amazing. Jack has every right to feel aggrieved.

DanDare

Emoji Merchant and Believer-In-Chief
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
I think the club needs to decide if they want Wilshere or not.

Pay the going rate for a starting England international midfielder or dont’t if you don’t value him at that for our club. Market decides his wages really, we decide if we’re willing to pay them.

IslingtonBornandbred

I think the club needs to decide if they want Wilshere or not.

Pay the going rate for a starting England international midfielder or dont’t if you don’t value him at that for our club. Market decides his wages really, we decide if we’re willing to pay them.

The issue this club has had for a while now is it doesn't operate or act like a big club. Its been dressed up as commendable or having good values but the truth is they want to pay what they want to pay and expect potential signings and negotiating clubs to dance to their tune. There was a mention a while ago that all the big agents refused to do business with us. I believe we weren't and aren't too popular with other clubs either for always putting in ridiculous first bids.

Hopefully with eventually getting the Auba deal over the line and getting Özil signed things are changing. I'm still frustrated about the attitude the board took when messing around Ashley Cole when they wouldn't back Dein over an extra £5000 per week he agreed with Cole and I don't like the way this Wilshere negotiation is going either.

Edit: And for what it's worth I think Jack and the club will eventually find an agreement. I'm not particular bothered if he accepts £100 a week or £100,000 a week. It doesn't enter or leave my bank account and it doesn't affect my season ticket price either. He's a Hitchin/Stevenage boy and his wife's about to give birth with her family based in and around the suburbs of North London. Can't see him wanting to relocate anytime soon from a personal point of view.

Last edited:

Gooner Zig

AM's Resident Accountant
Trusted ⭐

That thinking ignores the fact that the more income you make, the more you spend.

Do you think Jack is actually making 85k p/w but spending money as though he's on 85k p.a? Yes he's earning more than most would ever in a lifetime but I can assure you he's spending more than most would ever spend in a lifetime too.

samshere

Why so serieuse?
Salary is almost always benchmarked against peers, it doesn't really matter if 85k/week is a huge amount of money when almost all the people you share the dressing room with earn more than that . If Özil is getting 350k, wilshere should get at least half of that. And I don't buy the argument that he was out injured so he should accept a lesser salary, he was injured playing for Arsenal, not when he was out doing parkour in his spare time. If you'd take his matches over the last two years he's had more playing time than Ramsey. Whatever injury woes he had earlier, right now it seems that they're behind him.
Hope arsenal don't mess up his extension, it'll throw a crink on this new feeling of professionalism that sven and the other guy have brought in.

rich 1990

Not A Big Believer In Diversity
That thinking ignores the fact that the more income you make, the more you spend.

Do you think Jack is actually making 85k p/w but spending money as though he's on 85k p.a? Yes he's earning more than most would ever in a lifetime but I can assure you he's spending more than most would ever spend in a lifetime too.
Whose fault's that? His and his alone.

Garrincha

Wilf Zaha Aficionado
Trusted ⭐
The wage cut or incentivised contract makes no sense now due to the expiring contract.

Jack is a 20-30m asset able to sign for a foreign club today & if we want to keep him the contract has to reflect that.

Deal should have been done last summer if we wanted lower terms.

tap-in

Nothing Wrong With Me

Oh come on, you are not seriously going down the “He only earns £85k per week route!” that’s similar to what the PM of UK earns in a year! Ok she’s over paid but that’s another story :)

My view is we shouldn’t be trying to cut his wage, it is disrespectful and makes no sense. We either want him or we don’t. I personally do want him but if he never kicks a ball again he is set for life, if he’s not that’s down to him.

scytheavatar

Established Member
Either you foolishly really don't rate Wilshere's ability, you have VERY VERY high hopes for Sven being backed heavily by Slient Stan this summer, or you're trolling.

Jack Wilshere "can't even make our bench" :lol: :lol: :lol:

If we buy a new midfielder and Ramsey extends his contract it is likely Wilshere will be the one to get kicked out first. Elneny is versatile and is certain to have value on our bench, while Wilshere is not the type of midfielder who you want to bring on if you are trying to hold onto a 1-0 lead. While if you are trying to chase for goals it is not usual that managers will bring on a creative midfielder.

Are you really going to risk losing Jack Wilshere, a player with a transfer value of at least 20 million right now for the sake of potentially saving 2 million a year if he gets injured and doesn't play the whole season?

If we give him a 120k per week contract no club would be willing to buy him for 20 million. Wilshere is a luxury player and his value for midtable clubs is questionable, look at what happened in his time at Bournemouth. We could be struck with a player on big wages not making our team, and that is how we end up struggling to buy new players.

Jae

I'm on the fence to be honest. Like others have said I do think that if we want him we should pay the money (and by that I mean at least a little more than what he is currently on), and if not we should stop messing the lad around.

I just have a funny feeling that if he goes we'll probably end up seeing him at a top club somewhere playing better than he ever played for us.

Crocrodile

I'm on the fence to be honest. Like others have said I do think that if we want him we should pay the money (and by that I mean at least a little more than what he is currently on), and if not we should stop messing the lad around.

I just have a funny feeling that if he goes we'll probably end up seeing him at a top club somewhere playing better than he ever played for us.

This funny feeling you have illustrates perfectly why Wenger should be sacked at the end of this season no matter the circumstances.

In terms of Wilshere and his future in the club, I reckon decisions on his and Ramsey's future are connected. Meaning Sven chooses one of to sign to a +100k and signs someone else on a much cheaper contract to fill the void.

Reactions: Jae
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom