• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Jack Wilshere: Where to now?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Marmaduke

I though Wilshere played pretty well given the result and how the team as a whole performed. He always looks to do something positive and has some real drive.

He is never afraid to try something which you can't say of some other midfielders who are petrified to try anything risky. A big thing in any sport is believing in yourself and Wilsh has that.

dashsnow17

Doesn’t Rate Any Of Our Attackers
Trusted ⭐
He hasn't been great the last few games, let's be honest. It's possible that Arsenal fans have been overhyping him since he came back into the team, simply because he'd been away for so long and he showed something we didn't have, and that he's not yet or may never be a top 5-10 CM in the world.

But in terms of technical ability he is still our best CM, after Santi obviously. Any top team needs a midfield that combines technical ability with athleticism (unless you go full on Barca but we're nowhere near that). Jack doesn't have the athleticism and it's stupid to expect him to provide that, he'll just knacker himself again.

I'd give him a new contract and install him as the technical heartbeat at the centre of midfield, taking over from Santi. I'd then recruit one or two players who are strong and robust to do the physical work beside Jack. I don't know if it'd be in a midfield 2 or 3 and I wouldn't expect Jack to play 40+ games a season. I'd simply ask him to get on the ball as much as possible, he doesn't necessarily have to score or assist a certain amount, he just has to get on the ball and he'll effect the game.

I'll be honest I don't know if he can play next to Ramsey, maybe it's either/or. I also won't conclusively say one is better than the other as they offer different qualities. All I know is that Jack is a natural footballer with very good technique, and if we're to achieve anything going forwards we need a midfield with better technique, not just better athleticism.

Conclusion: instruct Jack to study Santi's game and seek to emulate that. If the club isn't confident he can do that then recruit someone who can.

HBL

Established Member
Was brilliant in the games against Chelsea, West Ham, Palace, Newcastle and not to mention that game against Bournemouth; where was regularly beating multiple players on the ball and creating chances only for Iwobi, Bellerin and Welbeck to cut inside and run backwards.

Has been poor the last two games but it’s difficult to judge when he has so many awful passers around him. I think he and Ramsey are the least of our worries, they can either play together in a 433 with a physical monster behind them or can compete for one place in 3 atb/4231.

OSBK

Established Member
It is a big big worry. City is the level we should be at and the team are levels below. Yesterday was jacks chance to go head to head with silva and show how good he is, silva ran that show easily. Its not a unfair comparison and poor form excuses are a joke, jack has it in his locker and he needs to produce or move on.

Straight up put silva in our team and we improve massively.

scytheavatar

Established Member
He hasn't been great the last few games, let's be honest. It's possible that Arsenal fans have been overhyping him since he came back into the team, simply because he'd been away for so long and he showed something we didn't have, and that he's not yet or may never be a top 5-10 CM in the world.

But in terms of technical ability he is still our best CM, after Santi obviously. Any top team needs a midfield that combines technical ability with athleticism (unless you go full on Barca but we're nowhere near that). Jack doesn't have the athleticism and it's stupid to expect him to provide that, he'll just knacker himself again.

I'd give him a new contract and install him as the technical heartbeat at the centre of midfield, taking over from Santi. I'd then recruit one or two players who are strong and robust to do the physical work beside Jack. I don't know if it'd be in a midfield 2 or 3 and I wouldn't expect Jack to play 40+ games a season. I'd simply ask him to get on the ball as much as possible, he doesn't necessarily have to score or assist a certain amount, he just has to get on the ball and he'll effect the game.

I'll be honest I don't know if he can play next to Ramsey, maybe it's either/or. I also won't conclusively say one is better than the other as they offer different qualities. All I know is that Jack is a natural footballer with very good technique, and if we're to achieve anything going forwards we need a midfield with better technique, not just better athleticism.

Conclusion: instruct Jack to study Santi's game and seek to emulate that. If the club isn't confident he can do that then recruit someone who can.

Wilshere is not on Cazorla's level, and will never be anywhere close to it. Cazorla is a short midfielder but one that is not lacking in athleticism and physicality, he had been able to outmuscle midfielders bigger than him. Right now Wilshere is a highly flawed player with some things going for him but not enough for him to ever be a lynchpin in our midfield. If he signs his contract he's going to have to be used to the idea of being on our bench cause he absolutely isn't good enough to be a starter for us.

dashsnow17

Doesn’t Rate Any Of Our Attackers
Trusted ⭐
Wilshere is not on Cazorla's level, and will never be anywhere close to it. Cazorla is a short midfielder but one that is not lacking in athleticism and physicality, he had been able to outmuscle midfielders bigger than him. Right now Wilshere is a highly flawed player with some things going for him but not enough for him to ever be a lynchpin in our midfield. If he signs his contract he's going to have to be used to the idea of being on our bench cause he absolutely isn't good enough to be a starter for us.

True, I don't think Wilshere is near Cazorla's level. I'm willing to be patient and see what he can do, but you're right he may never be at Cazorla's level. But it isn't easy finding a player like Cazorla, they don't grow on trees. Absolutely I'd encourage the club to buy a player if they find a CM with incredible technique, but for now Wilshere is the best we have in that department.

He's also one of the few players who cares, that and the fact he has good technique means he should survive the cull. Many players should be nearer the exit door than Wilshere.

The_Playmaker

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
It is a big big worry. City is the level we should be at and the team are levels below. Yesterday was jacks chance to go head to head with silva and show how good he is, silva ran that show easily. Its not a unfair comparison and poor form excuses are a joke, jack has it in his locker and he needs to produce or move on.

Straight up put silva in our team and we improve massively.

Take Jack out and put Silva in and I don't think you see a difference to me honest. It would just be Silva on the ground being fouled opposed to Jack. I agree with @dashsnow17 in that we should keep Jack and use him based on his strengths.

We want to play a passing game and irrespective of who takes over next, we will still want to play passing football. In order to do that you need highly technical players midfield. The modern game requires a midfield that is dynamic and athletic and we simply just don't have that. Wilshere is very good in possession, very good at controlling the ball in tight spaces and has a very good first touch. He is technically of the highest quality in the league and if you add his passing and vision to it, he becomes a very influential player when you also include his HG status.

However, he isn't good at recovering, but much like Silva and De Bruyne he will defend and put tackles in. He is also intelligent and will follow instructions. What he needs is a minder. He needs someone protecting him in midfield and he needs another player to help him lead the team technically.

There are so many ways you can play it:

4 - 3 -3 like City, one destroyer and holder who just needs enough technically ability and strength to get the ball to Silva and De Bryne.

4- 3 - 3 like Napoli. A technical leader in Hamsik, a deep lying playmaker with a high energy engine destroyer as a number 8.

4 - 3 - 3 like Chelsea when they had two box to box midfielders in Essien and lampard with a holder.

We don't have the players to play any of those systems. We don't have a box to box fast midfielder. We don't have more than one technical leader. Wilshere will always struggle defensively unless he has athletes next to him. It's no different from Conte not trusting Cesc in central midfield.

pacstud

Over.

Rated.

No clue why though. I have my theories, but I'll say that Chambers somehow didn't suck yesterday, though my eyes told me he did.

NieThePiet

Loves Overhyping Our Rivals
With this attitude City will smash us 5 on thursday.

Don't talk about the errors the team made, just blame the ref for making the right decisions. Even as an Arsenal fanboy i can't see a foul on the first goal and an offside before the second goal.

A_G

Rice Rice Baby 🎼🎵
Jack's spelling is jokes btw. "Cristism" instead of criticism, "loose" instead lose, "thier" instead of their. State of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom