• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

James Maddison

dashsnow17

Doesn’t Rate Any Of Our Attackers
Trusted ⭐
They are all utter dog muck at set-pieces, that's why he keeps taking them ha. Don't know if it was a fluke but Bertrand looked brilliant at set-pieces in the friendly the other night.

If you think Maddison is bad at set-pieces then you simply have an unrealistic expectation of how good set-pieces should be. The whole problem with Maddison is that he's good at set-pieces and possibly not that good in open play situations.

Hleb's Sirush

Established Member
I rate Aouar as a footballer, but he doesn't score or assist anywhere near as frequently as Maddison. He might give us 5 - 7% more possession a game though.
There is this perception that Maddison racks up loads of goals. It is something I also though but when you look at his stats his goals tally isn't that impressive. For example we don't associate Aouar with goals but he averages about 6 goals a season. Maddison 7 a season. If we keep in mind Aouar has played less minutes than him then it is even closer. On assists Aouar has marginally more.

I would take Maddison over Aouar provided Maddison was about £45m. For £65m+ I would rather take Aouar who probably can be got for £20m, who has identical goals and assists and use the rest of the money on a RB or back up GK. If we really have £250m warchest by all means get Maddison.

Last edited:

Barry

Definitely Not An Old Poster
There is this perception that Maddison racks up loads of goals. It is something I also though but when you look at his stats his goals tally isn't that impressive. For example we don't associate Aouar with goals but he averages about 6 goals a season. Maddison 7 a season. If we keep in mind Aouar has played less minutes than him then it is even closer. On assists Aouar has marginally more.

I would take Maddison over Aouar provided Maddison was about £45m. For £65m+ I would rather take Aouar who probably can be got for £20m, who has identical goals and assists and use the rest of the money on a RB or back up GK. If we really have £250m warchest by all means get Maddison.
In France though - don't think its directly comparable, look at Pepe, Laca etc. Aouar has got goals in him though for sure.

HomeSteak

Established Member
He's legit, that's all you need to know.

The screenshot is to include the translation, which wouldn't happen if I simply posted the tweet. Why is your brain not able to register this fact?

Do you think we cannot click on translate ourselves? Or you can just post the translation as well. it looks strange when you post it like that.

Camron

Photoshop King
Trusted ⭐

Player:Martinelli
Do you think we cannot click on translate ourselves? Or you can just post the translation as well. it looks strange when you post it like that.
@American_Gooner rn

FalseFelineEarthworm-size_restricted.gif

Hleb's Sirush

Established Member
In France though - don't think its directly comparable, look at Pepe, Laca etc. Aouar has got goals in him though for sure.
Yes it doesn't always translate over to the PL but if the player adapts well there is no reason why it shouldn't.

I haven't looked at Pepe's stats from the French league but I would like to think he is actually scoring at the same rate here as in Ligue 1. Quite a few of his goals were pens over there. Possibly has even better minutes per goal from open play in the PL.

Laca isn't scoring at the same rate as he did in France but I think that is more to do with his role here. At Lyon from what I could see he stayed fairly close to the width of the penalty area. His role seems to have changed a bit as he drops deeper. I think his conversion rate hasn't changed much which suggest to me he would have got similar numbers if he had the same chances he did at Lyon.

Last edited:

Barry

Definitely Not An Old Poster
Yes it doesn't always translate over to the PL but if the player adapts well there is no reason why it shouldn't.

I haven't looked at Pepe's stats from the French league but I would like to think he is actually scoring at the same rate here as in Ligue 1. Quite a few of his goals were pens over there. Possibly has even better minutes per goal from open play in the PL.

Laca isn't scoring at the same rate as he did in France but I think that is more to do with his role here. At Lyon from what I could see he stayed fairly close to the width of the penalty area. His role seems to have changed a bit as he drops deeper. I think his conversion rate hasn't changed much which suggest to me he would have got similar numbers if he had the same chances he did at Lyon.
I haven't looked at minutes per goal but he got 10 league goals this season and he got 22 in France two years ago so I doubt he is at that level now even with pens. I think its to do with the quality of the league. Obviously not as extreme but you can do direct comparison's with players coming up from the Championship and you usually see their goal and assist numbers half or nearly half.

France isn't as much of a drop off, but even after adjustment you are probably looking at around 25% less output for most attacking players - the PL is just that much more competitive. Aouar has other strengths though, goals are just one part of his game. Think he could potentially be a great addition but Maddison does have pretty good PL numbers (goals and assists) for his position.

1 other person

If Maddison was a 30 million pound player when Leicester bought him, he's that or less now. If we buy him i'll be on board, but if we go above 45m there are much better alternatives out there in Auoar, Ødegaard.. Heck, even Damsgaard would probably be the same impact with a much lower fee. Isn't Auoar also quoted at like 25m ? Seems like a no brainer to me. We develop plenty of injury prone English talents, no need to hoover up everyone else's.

Top Bottom