• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

James Maddison

ProspectFox

Too full of himself
Arsenal can still attract players....But for different reasons for what they used to be able too.

For years, the chance to join the most successful club in a City like London, to work under Wenger a manager who constantly improves his players, whilst playing Champions League football and the occasions league challenge/FA Cup....Now that's an incentive!

These days, it's more purely down to money + location.

In fairness, even at the back end of Wenger's reign, Vardy turned down the chance to join Arsenal.
Leicester were in a far weaker position on and off the field then, and he was a far more important player to that Leicester side than Maddison is to this.

But all this is really irrelevant.
Arsenal have been told a fee required to sign him, and it's up to Arteta/Edu/the club whether they cough up the money or not.
'The' Arsenal, don't get a discount.

GLITCH

In fairness, even at the back end of Wenger's reign, Vardy turned down the chance to join Arsenal.
IIRC, Vardy had second thoughts about Wenger's style of play suiting him. The fact he considered it says enough. In the end, it was probably the right decision for him.

drippin

Obsessed with "Mature Trusted Members"

In 3 seasons, Maddison has missed 16 PL games....Not all through injury, some due to poor form.

In 3 seasons, Aubameyang has missed 13.
In 3 seasons, Xhaka has missed 23.
In 2 seasons, Tierney has missed 34.
In 2 seasons, Pepe has missed 16.
In 1 season, Partey has missed 14.
In 1 season, Gabriel has missed 15.

Maddison being injury prone is a bit of a myth really, especially in comparison to the above.
I already answered to you about this silly way of looking at the past 3 years, when the problems have been in the past year mostly. But I can copy paste it here if you missed it.

If you look at Tierney's history, his problems were also only in his last year at Celtic before coming here. This is why bingobob said that he is not injury-prone. This is why Maddison's hip etc. make me against this move for the money involved.

I have had enough of injury-prone players at Arsenal. I don't want to sign a player who has those worries even before coming here. But if we get him, I hope our medical team knows their job, and does the Shakira hip dance test thoroughly for Maddison.

"Lol, of course you can count three years, why not include the Championship year too?

1st EPL season he didn't play 600 minutes of maximum, next 800 minutes and the last one 1300 minutes.

That's a downward spiral with the latest bad hip injury causing all kinds of problems last season.

You can keep him. We can come back later if he gets back to fitness or get someone else."

SA Gunner

Hates Tierney And Wants Him Sold Immediately

Player:Nketiah
Leicester are better than us in everything than history. We're a step down. It's embarassing.

They are slightly ahead of us right now, not on the level of our last teams under Arsène and not the level we should be aiming to be.

A basic top six side, whereas we are a top 8 side.

truth_hurts

but Holding’s hair transplant was painless
They are slightly ahead of us right now, not on the level of our last teams under Arsène and not the level we should be aiming to be.

A basic top six side, whereas we are a top 8 side.

They play good stuff, have a progressive manager, have exciting young players meshed with experience and are outsiders for the top 4. Anything which they make from sales will be reinvested in the team.

I think we come off badly in a combined 11 of the two teams. It's that bad, we only definitely get Tierney, Partey (Atletico version), Saka and Auba (some would argue).

We should be streets ahead of a team like Leicester on and off the pitch.

HairSprayGooners

My brother posted it ⏩
They play good stuff, have a progressive manager, have exciting young players meshed with experience and are outsiders for the top 4. Anything which they make from sales will be reinvested in the team.

I think we come off badly in a combined 11 of the two teams. It's that bad, we only definitely get Tierney, Partey (Atletico version), Saka and Auba (some would argue).

We should be streets ahead of a team like Leicester on and off the pitch.

Anything we make from sales is reinvested in the team we just sell badly and spend badly.

In a combined 11 it's fairly equal.

Schmeichel
Pereira - White - Soyuncu - Tierney
Partey - Tielemans
Saka - Maddison - Barnes
Auba/Vardy

But you're right we shouldn't be comparing ourselves to Leicester we should be way above.

D

Dial Square 1886

RVP spent most of his time on the treatment table. I guess he wasn't a top player either.

Well he did manage a 30 goal league campaign, which is pretty special. Also played every game that year and again the next year.

I would say his three seasons producing 74 goals in 101 games (10/11, 11/12, 12/13) were right up there with the best in the prem era, so you can't really say he was not a top player. Still probably did not do it for long enough to warrant a seat at the very top table though.

Not comparing like with like TBH.

Riou

In The Winchester, Waiting For This To Blow Over

Player:Gabriel
Leicester have been brilliantly run the last half decade or so...it probably won't last, but you have to give them credit.

Hell no one would even dare mention Arsenal and City in the same breath in the 2000s, now look at those 2 teams...guess no one would still put those 2 teams on the same level, but it's been reversed now :lol:

Least Leicester are doing it through solid owners and great scouting, not like Citeh or Chelski, who are just basically cheating, tbh.

lomekian

Essays are my thing
I don't think it's fair to be hostile to a 1st time poster. He's entitled to an opinion.

Sure, we are one of the great clubs of world football and can attract great players but there's always been and always will be a pecking order.

I started watching the year we signed SuperMac. A few years later I watched Brady leave, Stapleton leave, it broke my heart. Later still I watched Patrick leave, Nasri leave, RVP leave and so on.

I'm with you as a fan but I don't think the modern player shares our view of history, past success and heritage. Players come here for the club, the location, the money, success, trophies, titles, and they leave for much the same reasons.

The great players who've given us their best years like Henry and Bergkamp or all their years like Adams, they get statues and rightly so.
Not sure why you saw my post as hostile. It was cajoling and an attempt to bolster in the face of relentless negativity from so many in here.

Of course heritage matters less to players, but it isnt nothing. No player in their right mind thinks Leicester, Villa or Everton are in the same league of us size wise

ArsenesCoatMaker

Established Member
Leicester were in a far weaker position on and off the field then, and he was a far more important player to that Leicester side than Maddison is to this.

We offered a shorter contract than you did though and didn't guarantee he'd start over Giroud. We should of pushed harder for that one, would of been a bargain

ProspectFox

Too full of himself
We offered a shorter contract than you did though and didn't guarantee he'd start over Giroud. We should of pushed harder for that one, would of been a bargain

The fee was agreed with the club, as we still included release clauses in contracts at the time....Which we flat out refuse to do after Vardy/Kante clauses were both met.
He was also happy with the personal terms Arsenal were offering, it was only after going down to London and meeting Arsène, that he decided he would be best staying at Leicester.

Mahrez wanted out, handed in a transfer request and did everything he could to leave.
Maguire was very interested in going to Man United, but was also respectful enough to not make a fuss and wait until the club's valuation was met.

I think Maddison is 'interested' in the move. In the sense that he knows we will be willing to let him go and even pushing him to go once we get the fee we want. That just isn't the case for other players in the squad, like Ndidi/Soyuncu, for example.

ProspectFox

Too full of himself
Not sure why you saw my post as hostile. It was cajoling and an attempt to bolster in the face of relentless negativity from so many in here.

Of course heritage matters less to players, but it isnt nothing. No player in their right mind thinks Leicester, Villa or Everton are in the same league of us size wise

No player in the right mind thought Arsenal were in the same league as Man United/Real Madrid etc, 'size wise'....Or 'heritage' wise.
But Arsenal, specifically under Arsène, had a track record of signing the likes of Vieira/Henry and turning them into stars. So years after the invincibles, young talented start were still interested in joining Arsenal.

Nottingham Forest 'Heritage wise' are an English domestic giant....But how many players in their early 20's, from abroad, know who they are?
Celtic/Rangers are right up there fanbase wise, with any other club in the UK.

Chelsea, are considered (By pretty much everyone apart from Arsenal fans), to be the biggest and most successful club from London....
And again, players watching on from abroad, or even just younger football fans, will share that perspective too.

Ibadan

Thread Bump Police
No player in the right mind thought Arsenal were in the same league as Man United/Real Madrid etc, 'size wise'....Or 'heritage' wise.
But Arsenal, specifically under Arsène, had a track record of signing the likes of Vieira/Henry and turning them into stars. So years after the invincibles, young talented start were still interested in joining Arsenal.

Nottingham Forest 'Heritage wise' are an English domestic giant....But how many players in their early 20's, from abroad, know who they are?
Celtic/Rangers are right up there fanbase wise, with any other club in the UK.

Chelsea, are considered (By pretty much everyone apart from Arsenal fans), to be the biggest and most successful club from London....
And again, players watching on from abroad, or even just younger football fans, will share that perspective too.
51 messages from you in the 6 days you've been on here. Ever considered picking up a book? Going running?

SlyFox

Leicester have been brilliantly run the last half decade or so...it probably won't last, but you have to give them credit.

Hell no one would even dare mention Arsenal and City in the same breath in the 2000s, now look at those 2 teams...guess no one would still put those 2 teams on the same level, but it's been reversed now :lol:

Least Leicester are doing it through solid owners and great scouting, not like Citeh or Chelski, who are just basically cheating, tbh.

I think the club are ahead of the curve in where they wanted to be, but they are going to keep going with the same philosophy.

Huge investment in the training ground, so we now have one of the best in Europe and a ground increase to 40,000 happening soon.

It’s just about steady and natural growth on and off the pitch. There will be ups and downs but the owners are here to make us a big club, alright it would take something special to reach the size of the really big clubs and money we can’t afford. But I see no reason why we can’t establish ourselves in that second tier group of clubs size wise. Your Villas, Everton, Leeds. We might never match their history as football is a different beast now, but a modern day equivalent is possible.

ProspectFox

Too full of himself
51 messages from you in the 6 days you've been on here. Ever considered picking up a book? Going running?

I was actually enjoying reading things about Arsenal, that I didn't know, from an Arsenal fans perspective....
Whilst also making a few Arsenal fans aware that their 'assumptions' about certain aspects of Leicester, are incorrect.

I'm well aware there are often times when you get the more 'toxic' opposition fan, just here for the wind up.
But don't you think your 'gatekeeping' is just as 'toxic'?

Barry

Definitely Not An Old Poster
I was actually enjoying reading things about Arsenal, that I didn't know, from an Arsenal fans perspective....
Whilst also making a few Arsenal fans aware that their 'assumptions' about certain aspects of Leicester, are incorrect.

I'm well aware there are often times when you get the more 'toxic' opposition fan, just here for the wind up.
But don't you think your 'gatekeeping' is just as 'toxic'?

It's a bit annoying going on to another fan forum and telling them they are a small club compared to their local rivals. If we were posting on the Leicester forum that Leicester are a smaller club than Villa then I think a lot of the natives would take issue. If you genuinely want a discussion on another fans forum then you probably need a thick skin when some people have views on your club that you don't agree with. Try not to respond in kind and you'll get a better reception from the rest.

Think of it like when you're a guest at someone else's house. Even if he love's Farage and Trump you try really hard not to call him a fascist ***** to their face.

Last edited:

Yousif Arsenal

On Vinai's payroll & misses 4th place trophy 🏆
Trusted ⭐
The more we leave this late if we really interested the more Leicester will try to block the move because of little time they'll have to find replacement there no release clause to force Leicester. So i hope Leicester put deadline for us

HairSprayGooners

My brother posted it ⏩
The more we leave this late if we really interested the more Leicester will try to block the move because of little time they'll have to find replacement there no release clause to force Leicester. So i hope Leicester put deadline for us

A bid needs to be accepted this week really.

Latest posts+

Top Bottom