• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

James Maddison

Football Manager

Copy & Paste Merchant
What I mean is that if you'd truly appreciate the tactical side of the game you wouldn't bash a manager like Benitez. No matter what you think of the tactics he employs 🙂

And you take it to an extreme when you say Gerrard and Lampard were ****. I guess I do the same when it comes to stats, but I'll allow myself a bit of hypocrisy here. Saying those players are **** isn't showcasing any credible knowledge of football. They were brilliant players in the right set up - which brings us back to appreciating the tactical side of the game. Tactics isn't about admiring Guardiola's way of splashing the cash to get the exact profiles to suit his style and then doing it over again when a €40m+ player wasn't exactly what he was hoping for. Admiring tactics is appreciating Chris Wilder's way of making that Sheffield Utd team survive for a year (and thrive for parts of it) by having the RCB and LCB overlapping the wing backs and in that bringing something to the table the opponent is prepared or set up to defend against.
I knew how benetiz’ teams are going to set up in different phases. I know how they play like in transitions. How they pass the ball. The horizontal and vertical distance of his team. How his players occupy space and what their movements are. Which space are they going to attack and how they are going to defend. What are the strengths and weaknesses of his players. And what players suits his tactics. It’s not hard to observe these. I understand all that. Why can’t I find his style boring?

I like Arsenal because I was attracted to the beautiful combination play of Henry, Pires, Vieira and others. And then I develop an interest in tactical analysis. Analysing teams in different styles are the same, you observe with the same principles. What they do in different phases. Their movements in transitions....etc. And observe how they are all related.

Its like analysing music. What’s the harmonies/chord progression/voice leading? What key/mode is it in? Are there and modulation? The arrangement/interaction of sounds or instruments...It can be an simple average 4 chord pop tune. You can analyse it with different musical aspects. And come up with a detail analysis with it. But it doesn’t mean you have to like it.

Last edited:

Monstar-Gunn4r

Established Member
The impression I get of football manager is he wasnt actually old enough to watch any of the players he is talking about. Like Foden might someday develop in to something very like Gerrard if he keeps improving but he was one of the best premiership midfield players and was a good enough finisher he was played as a striker sometimes when Torres was injured. While I hate defending such a w*nker he was one of the worlds best when he was playing and pretending otherwise is delusional, to think he was similar to a centreback in style is a joke. To actually think Gerrard didn't combine well and have a great passing ability would suggest someone who actually never watched him play.... and Im saying all this as someone who really doesnt like Gerrard and thinks hes a collosal pr*ck.

Football Manager

Copy & Paste Merchant
The impression I get of football manager is he wasnt actually old enough to watch any of the players he is talking about. Like Foden might someday develop in to something very like Gerrard if he keeps improving but he was one of the best premiership midfield players and was a good enough finisher he was played as a striker sometimes when Torres was injured. While I hate defending such a w*nker he was one of the worlds best when he was playing and pretending otherwise is delusional, to think he was similar to a centreback in style is a joke. To actually think Gerrard didn't combine well and have a great passing ability would suggest someone who actually never watched him play.... and Im saying all this as someone who really doesnt like Gerrard and thinks hes a collosal pr*ck.
Foden is technically gifted. Amazing talent. Why would he (reverse) develop into a gerrard?

gerrard is all about stamina, the pace, the passion, the physical attributes, the timing into the box, the shooting....he has nothing to do with skills, passing, teamwork. If you have seen Busquets/Xavi/Iniesta play you will get what I mean. Foden is technically gifted just like Busquets/Xavi/Iniesta, but also with that mobility in him. So mainly a technical player with a bit of athleticism added. gerrard is mostly about the athleticism.

I watched gerrard play a hell lot. My mate was a liverpool fan . And I always said to him, that gerrard was not technically gifted and liverpool plays boring football, just like Stoke and Chelsea. He watch Arsenal match with me too so he can’t really argue back that their football was not boring. Arsenal were too good.

Last edited:

TakeChillPill

Established Member
Reading some of the Buendia stuff here is quite comical. Its like the eulogy given to a dead man. When we were in for him, this same microscopic nuanced opinions were fired at his valuation by Norwich. Similar to these conflicting angles now , some were livid we were even considering what Norwich was valuing. Bang ! As soon as Villa swooped in , the same opinions changed to we are being outbid by Villa etc. I recall the Kante saga ...no different to this , then bang he was gone ! Using stats etc to compare valuations from players operating in different leagues , with different profiles etc is a waste of time. This is not how the economics of transfers work I am afraid.

I am sure if ESR delivered same like he did for us last season from December when he got into the team , but playing for Fulham , we would have been livid if 25M was quoted for his services. However we laughed off Villa's 25M bid. Visit the Xhaka exit thread and you will see unbelievable expectations for his sale ( you would think he is Locatelli) but curiously everyone is looking for a new partner for Partey.

If Maddison was an Arsenal player how much would we consider letting him go to Chelsea , City , Sp**s , MU or Liverpool for? This is where the issue gets interesting. Will we use these stats above to prove he is not as good as his European counterparts to prop down his value?

Where do we stand really? Either we go down the Leicester route and pay 10-25 etc for players and let them develop or we go down the Chelsea /City route and pay 50-70 when Leicester has developed them. Even in between we don't seem to have a clue as fans.
We haven't got the money to go down the Chelsea route, so yes the Leicester way it is, ironically the Leicester way is actually more akin to the arsenal way under wenger.

Finesse

We haven't got the money to go down the Chelsea route, so yes the Leicester way it is, ironically the Leicester way is actually more akin to the arsenal way under wenger.

:lol: Another beauty ! We wonder why KSE always laughs off at protests outside the stadium especially when they read the sentiments and consensus of how fans alike have resigned we now have to deploy a Leicester model to break into the top 4 bracket.. :lol:

HairSprayGooners

My brother posted it ⏩
Everyone should know by now @Football Manager was probably born in 2000 and never properly saw Zidane and Co play. He makes all of his opinions based on YouTube clips.

Ronaldinho was my favourite ever player watching him as a kid. He made me fall in love with football and then Kaka and then Titi and Fabregas. But you can still appreciate what other players did.

To say that Gerrard and Lampard, two of the greatest midfielder this country has ever seen, aren't that good shows how little football knowledge you truly have. Nobody is going to take anything you say seriously in the modern era if you can't appreciate those guys.

Football Manager

Copy & Paste Merchant
Everyone should know by now @Football Manager was probably born in 2000 and never properly saw Zidane and Co play. He makes all of his opinions based on YouTube clips.

Ronaldinho was my favourite ever player watching him as a kid. He made me fall in love with football and then Kaka and then Titi and Fabregas. But you can still appreciate what other players did.

To say that Gerrard and Lampard, two of the greatest midfielder this country has ever seen, aren't that good shows how little football knowledge you truly have. Nobody is going to take anything you say seriously in the modern era if you can't appreciate those guys.
That’s not the fact. I’m a good ten years older than that. And I did watch Zidane play live on TV a lot of times, club and international, not in a stadium tho.

The players you mentioned there were some of my favourites too.

And I have already said it here, it’s has nothing to do with knowledge. It’s preference.
I knew how benetiz’ teams are going to set up in different phases. I know how they play like in transitions. How they pass the ball. The horizontal and vertical distance of his team. How his players occupy space and what their movements are. Which space are they going to attack and how they are going to defend. What are the strengths and weaknesses of his players. And what players suits his tactics. It’s not hard to observe these. I understand all that. Why can’t I find his style boring?

I like Arsenal because I was attracted to the beautiful combination play of Henry, Pires, Vieira and others. And then I develop an interest in tactical analysis. Analysing teams in different styles are the same, you observe with the same principles. What they do in different phases. Their movements in transitions....etc. And observe how they are all related.

Its like analysing music. What’s the harmonies/chord progression/voice leading? What key/mode is it in? Are there and modulation? The arrangement/interaction of sounds or instruments...It can be an simple average 4 chord pop tune. You can analyse it with different musical aspects. And come up with a detail analysis with it. But it doesn’t mean you have to like it.

Last edited:

El Duderino

That's, like, your opinion, man.

He was lauding the 2002 Brazil team when we won that wc playing very bland football for Brazilian standards of the time.

We all literally thought we weren't going to qualify :lol: let alone win the damn thing.

Felipao was never known for technical, free flowing footy. Was an amazing motivator, tho.

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐

Then surely you can appreciate that one man's music is another man's noise and that there's more than one way to play a piano. It's like me being a Chopin stan and decreeing it unmusical to play anything like Bud Powell or Art Tatum. Sure you can find it boring, but when you position yourself as so wedded to one style that all other styles encompass anti-football, people are gonna get onto you about it! :lol:

Football Manager

Copy & Paste Merchant
He was lauding the 2002 Brazil team when we won that wc playing very bland football for Brazilian standards of the time.

We all literally thought we weren't going to qualify :lol: let alone win the damn thing.

Felipao was never known for technical, free flowing footy. Was an amazing motivator, tho.
The magic of Rivaldo, Ronaldo and Ronaldinho....not technical? Bland football?

El Duderino

Then surely you can appreciate that one man's music is another man's noise and that there's more than one way to play a piano. It's like me being a Chopin stan and decreeing it unmusical to play anything like Bud Powell or Art Tatum. Sure you can find it boring, but when you position yourself as so wedded to one style that all other styles encompass anti-football, people are gonna get onto you about it! :lol:

I love cultural deep cut posts like these that let it slip some of us know a lot of stuff outside of football.

Why

Always Me ?
I actually like Maddison, think he is a good player, I just don't understand why Leicester would sell. That's what concerns me.

I get the horrible feeling we pay 60k plus for Maddison and then a day later they use that money to buy Grealish or something.

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
On topic, I have actually gone from being very ambivalent about this to being slightly for this signing if it happens :lol:. I'm actually amazed at how many people have completely scoffed at this. Maddison is very good, just not quite the level you expect him to be. He could very well reach that here but I'd like to see better open play numbers and more end product from him if that is the case.

El Duderino

The magic of Rivaldo, Ronaldo and Ronaldinho....not technical? Bland football?

If you only look at YouTube highlights you get that impression. The team came dangerously close to no qualifying for the WC.

People were mad that Romario wasn't in the running. Same for other players.

Felipao was not seen as a uninanimous choice.

You are literally trying to argue with a whole nation about something. It was in the mouth of every Brazilian and we all thought we weren't getting far until we beat England and faced Turkey again in the semis.

Latest posts

Top Bottom