• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

James Maddison

El Duderino

That's, like, your opinion, man.
On topic, I have actually gone from being very ambivalent about this to being slightly for this signing if it happens :lol:. I'm actually amazed at how many people have completely scoffed at this. Maddison is very good, just not quite the level you expect him to be. He could very well reach that here but I'd like to see better open play numbers and more end product from him if that is the case.

My only issue is that the price and his injurieswill probably make him the brexit Özil for the fan base. Some said he's a bit of a fair weather player, which is something we don't really need.

Can't argue with the overall quality, tho.

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
My only issue is that the price and his injurieswill probably make him the brexit Özil for the fan base. Some said he's a bit of a fair weather player, which is something we don't really need.

Can't argue with the overall quality, tho.
That's my worry too - not so much the injuries as he doesn't seem to get much soft tissue injuries. More that he can be flaky and goes hiding when the games get really tough. That's the one big blot against him. Ability is there though.

lomekian

Essays are my thing
If you only look at YouTube highlights you get that impression. The team came dangerously close to no qualifying for the WC.

People were mad that Romario wasn't in the running. Same for other players.

Felipao was not seen as a uninanimous choice.

You are literally trying to argue with a whole nation about something. It was in the mouth of every Brazilian and we all thought we weren't getting far until we beat England and faced Turkey again in the semis.
Great tournament run though - got the team heating up more the further they went, and by the final they were comfortably the better team. I guess with the 3 R's up front, you could focus a bit more on solidity (and giving GIlberto the exposure to get a move to Arsenal!)

Barry

Definitely Not An Old Poster
On topic, I have actually gone from being very ambivalent about this to being slightly for this signing if it happens :lol:. I'm actually amazed at how many people have completely scoffed at this. Maddison is very good, just not quite the level you expect him to be. He could very well reach that here but I'd like to see better open play numbers and more end product from him if that is the case.
This is exactly where I'm at with it as well. He'd be a great signing, I just worry about giving Leicester £60m + to reinforce with. Think he improves us though, definitely.

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
This is exactly where I'm at with it as well. He'd be a great signing, I just worry about giving Leicester £60m + to reinforce with. Think he improves us though, definitely.
Leicester wont even need the whole 60m. 10 goes on Olise, another goes on a smart signing somewhere else. Win-win for everyone I guess.

Riou

In The Winchester, Waiting For This To Blow Over

Player:Gabriel
I also am old enough to remember 2002 - Ronaldo and Ronaldinho carried them.

Leaving out my boy Rivaldo, just because of some disgraceful cheating v Turkey, not on my watch 😉

The 2002 World Cup should have been one of the greatest ever, tbh.

Wonderful setting/stadiums, absolutely elite players at the time, great looking football, right in the that sweet spot of peak football as a sport...but it just ended up being probably the most disappointing tournament ever, especially compared to club football at the time.

The 3 Rs kinda carried that whole tournament...everyone else pretty much underperformed, plus all the dodgy-ness around South Korea was unsavoury.

Last edited:

Goonger

Cant believe people turning their noses up at Maddison. Prem proven, gets goals, creates chances, good age, home grown. These are the things we are crying out for.

England have a golden generation of players, I'm all for going for guys like White and Maddison, it may put is in position to secure more talents in the future.

Think your 2nd paragraph is an important point. Up until this year, you'd look at the best English / British talents, & wonder why they would pick us over others as from the outside we are a club on the slide, with a team filled with foreigners that have underwhelmed the last few seasons, with the odd British player sprinkled in.

Now, we have Smith-Rowe who's joined Saka & Tierney as important first team players. We might have Chambers, Holding Willock, Nelson, Balogun as squad members. If we can add White & Maddison, that's a very decent core of British talent again, & if performance improves to go with it, we could be an attractive destination for guys like Bellingham & Sancho again, instead of being totally out the running for the best of English talent.

Gooner416

Master of Stonks
Trusted ⭐

Maddison is top class and PL proven. I'm convinced this forum would find ways to shoot down prime Messi.

samshere

Why so serieuse?
They played for Norwich at different times and different levels.

Maddison has been doing it at the top end of the Premier League for two seasons.

Our fan base is mental. Really don't get them some times. How do they not want one of the top play makers in the Premier league? Snobbery? Believing we are better? Some peculiar interpretation of value?
Its not a peculiar interpretation of value.
Maddison = Aouar + Locatelli
Maddison = Ødegaard
Maddison = Olise + Toney
Maddison = Edouard + Sanches

It isn't surprising that people would take the other deals over Maddison. In isolation Maddison is a good player, but there are more sensible uses of money if we want to improve the overall quality of the squad.

Camron

Photoshop King
Trusted ⭐

Player:Martinelli
Maddison is top class and PL proven. I'm convinced this forum would find ways to shoot down prime Messi.
ab6242872cb9b548cbfceaa266315256.jpg

Convinced this is actually made by someone who posts on here and the bottom sentence is not a joke.

TakeChillPill

Established Member
:lol: Another beauty ! We wonder why KSE always laughs off at protests outside the stadium especially when they read the sentiments and consensus of how fans alike have resigned we now have to deploy a Leicester model to break into the top 4 bracket.. :lol:
We've never spent like utd, Chelsea or City, and we know that the krnokes aren't the type to dig deep in to their pockets.

It's not resigned it's just reality. The kroneks will never invest like abramavich or mansoor

bingobob

A-M’s Resident Hunskelper
Trusted ⭐

Its not a peculiar interpretation of value.
Maddison = Aouar + Locatelli
Maddison = Ødegaard
Maddison = Olise + Toney
Maddison = Edouard + Sanches

It isn't surprising that people would take the other deals over Maddison. In isolation Maddison is a good player, but there are more sensible uses of money if we want to improve the overall quality of the squad.
Sorry for the long post.

Except Ødegaard nobody knows how any of them will perform at the top level in PL, but from that list I'd go for Edouard and Sances as they have experiences of British football and even then id still prefer Maddison. Weve seem him operate at the top level.

And its a peculiar interpretation of value.

I need a t-shirt. My friends all goto this same shop and have more often than not got a t-shirt that's lasted the seasons and fashion windows. But I could goto Primark buy a similar t shirt for a fraction of the cost. Primark is £5 it might be better value than the £45 t shirt but when you replace that £5 t-shirt 10 times you would have been best off going for the £45 t shirt. That's what we do. We gamble on this perceived value and more often than not end up spending more than what it would have cost to buy the more proven t-shirt.

Go buy Maddison. He is proven. Its less risk. And that in itself makes it better value.

bingobob

A-M’s Resident Hunskelper
Trusted ⭐

I think they'd shoot down Messi if we were offered him tomorrow. To old, past it etc. Posers and hipsters in a bar with fairy lights and stools from pound land sipping their over priced Imperial Soft Cloud craft beer.

samshere

Why so serieuse?
Sorry for the long post.

Except Ødegaard nobody knows how any of them will perform at the top level in PL, but from that list I'd go for Edouard and Sances as they have experiences of British football and even then id still prefer Maddison. Weve seem him operate at the top level.

And its a peculiar interpretation of value.

I need a t-shirt. My friends all goto this same shop and have more often than not got a t-shirt that's lasted the seasons and fashion windows. But I could goto Primark buy a similar t shirt for a fraction of the cost. Primark is £5 it might be better value than the £45 t shirt but when you replace that £5 t-shirt 10 times you would have been best off going for the £45 t shirt. That's what we do. We gamble on this perceived value and more often than not end up spending more than what it would have cost to buy the more proven t-shirt.

Go buy Maddison. He is proven. Its less risk. And that in itself makes it better value.
Except that valuing of footballers isn't an exact science. Maddison could come here and stink the place up, and if you need some guarantee of success then why not go for Olise + Toney, after all Maddison himself was proven only in the championship before he came to Leicester.

Not that I believe we can even get him for 60m, Leicester will probably ask for 70m+ for him and we'll be stuck wasting most of the transfer window in a futile pursuit of an unattainable target.

Let's play Aubamawang

I'm slightly concerned that we're linked to a player with an injury history and some alleged attitude problems. Given we just offloaded Özil et al, I see no benefit to adding more toxic elements.

Top Bottom