• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

James Maddison

OnlyOne

‘Donkeys don’t have a peak, they remain useless’
Trusted ⭐

Yeah spot on. All yacht partied out now.

Yeah for me Ben White is a top CB in the making. I’d compare it to Man Utd splashing a big fee on Rio Ferdinand a few years back. It’s a big fee but he’s young enough and talented enough that he could start for us for the next decade.

Most people who’d watched him in the Championship were ridiculously high on him after the 2019/20 season. I’ve seen a lot has been made about his height and his frame and it’s true he’s always on the skinnier side than Lewis Dunk or Adam Webster who he played alongside in a back 3 this year.

The main thing is that everything else you’d want in a CB in terms of reading the opposition, knowing when to commit to tackles and positioning his body he’s elite at. He’s got a good leap even though he has been caught under the ball a few times going for aerial duals with some of the giant strikers knocking around in the Premier League.

The main reason for the Leeds season hype though was because of the skills he showed with the ball at his feet. He has a remarkable range of passing and close control for a CB and at times he looked like a Franz Beckenbauer clone. He excelled in a two and sometimes covered midfield for Phillips when he was injured on occasion and performed admirably. Also had ridiculousness like this in his locker.

The main reason for the Leeds season hype though was because of the skills he showed with the ball at his feet. He has a remarkable range of passing and close control for a CB and at times he looked like a Franz Beckenbauer clone. He excelled in a two and sometimes covered midfield for Phillips when he was injured on occasion and performed admirably. Also had ridiculousness like this in his locker.

This season the hype has fallen off a bit but it’s important to note the different role he’s played under Potter in a back 3. He’s often seemed to sit deep and touch the ball less which the numbers back up. He’s had considerably less touches and carries per 90 than both Dunk and Webster.

It’s hard to measure the impact he’s had on Brighton’s defence but despite their lowly finish in the table if you go by Understat their xG against was the third best in the league behind only Chelsea and Man City. They were a solid defensive unit and improved greatly once they upgraded Ryan to Sanchez in goal. It’s simplistic but considering they finished 14th with the same metric the previous year it’s a great improvement which I’d share equally between White and the emergence of Bissouma who has some ridiculous numbers as a defensive midfielder.

View attachment 3392

As for some of the other players we’re linked with I think it’s a mixed bag. Neves I’m not sure is really a massive upgrade on Xhaka and if you believe the quoted figures, we’d be spending £15M net to get a younger version of a player who has split opinion hugely in the five years he’s been here. How much the absence of Jimenez has affected that whole Wolves team is a very valid counterpoint but the tools he possesses seem very limited although I think he’s better defensively than Xhaka is.

Maddison I’m also unsure on which considering how hard I’ve pushed for him in the past may seem surprising. The fee quoted for a young English attacking midfielder by a club that normally demands top dollar for their players sets immediate alarm bells ringing. Main reason for that I’d reckon is injury history, back to back years now he’s missed solid periods of time with a persistent hip joint issue. That’s not a fun injury at all and in other sports has completely decimated players’ careers.

For you NBA fans this is a pretty yikes list.

View attachment 3393

I did feel watching Maddison this season that he wasn’t the same player we’d seen in recent years. It’s hard to really track but his dynamism didn’t seem there where in previous years he’d try and run behind with and without the ball. Also for an attacking midfielder he has a very similar profile to someone like Calhanoglu who despite gaudy chance creation numbers relies mainly on set pieces and long shots for his goals and assists.

In terms of open play chance creation by attacking midfielders over the last couple of years the numbers have been dominated by KDB, Grealish and Bruno. Maddison isn’t really on that level so once you factor in how he’s coming off a year of stagnation with two reoccurring injuries I think it could be dicey.

I’m not one to turn my nose up at set piece chances as they’re a key part of the game but it’s important to know what we’re getting.

Camavinga I think would be an excellent buy in terms of buying him off a relative down year with his contract situation. Purely from an asset collection standpoint now would be the time to buy him as he surely has room to develop. I’ve not seen much of him but he looks a scary two way prospect from games I have.

Similar story for Lokonga where it’s good value and if he gets the game time you should be able to cash in for decent money even if he stagnates in a few years.

Sabitzer I’ve been on record as being sceptical over and I still am considering the role we’d ask him to play but I don’t hate the fee quoted and he’s clearly got a very good passing range as demonstrated in the Euros even though some of the opposition quality is highly debateable. He can play in a lot of different positions so if we do clear house of our midfielders, him and Lokonga for a combined 30M would fit in well with Partey and hopefully Willock.

I needed this, thank Rex.

dka1

100% Dark Chocolate
Trusted ⭐

Yeah for me Ben White is a top CB in the making. I’d compare it to Man Utd splashing a big fee on Rio Ferdinand a few years back. It’s a big fee but he’s young enough and talented enough that he could start for us for the next decade.

Most people who’d watched him in the Championship were ridiculously high on him after the 2019/20 season. I’ve seen a lot has been made about his height and his frame and it’s true he’s always on the skinnier side than Lewis Dunk or Adam Webster who he played alongside in a back 3 this year.

The main thing is that everything else you’d want in a CB in terms of reading the opposition, knowing when to commit to tackles and positioning his body he’s elite at. He’s got a good leap even though he has been caught under the ball a few times going for aerial duals with some of the giant strikers knocking around in the Premier League.

This season the hype has fallen off a bit but it’s important to note the different role he’s played under Potter in a back 3. He’s often seemed to sit deep and touch the ball less which the numbers back up. He’s had considerably less touches and carries per 90 than both Dunk and Webster.

It’s hard to measure the impact he’s had on Brighton’s defence but despite their lowly finish in the table if you go by Understat their xG against was the third best in the league behind only Chelsea and Man City. They were a solid defensive unit and improved greatly once they upgraded Ryan to Sanchez in goal. It’s simplistic but considering they finished 14th with the same metric the previous year it’s a great improvement which I’d share equally between White and the emergence of Bissouma who has some ridiculous numbers as a defensive midfielder.

View attachment 3392

As for some of the other players we’re linked with I think it’s a mixed bag. Neves I’m not sure is really a massive upgrade on Xhaka and if you believe the quoted figures, we’d be spending £15M net to get a younger version of a player who has split opinion hugely in the five years he’s been here. How much the absence of Jimenez has affected that whole Wolves team is a very valid counterpoint but the tools he possesses seem very limited although I think he’s better defensively than Xhaka is.

Maddison I’m also unsure on which considering how hard I’ve pushed for him in the past may seem surprising. The fee quoted for a young English attacking midfielder by a club that normally demands top dollar for their players sets immediate alarm bells ringing. Main reason for that I’d reckon is injury history, back to back years now he’s missed solid periods of time with a persistent hip joint issue. That’s not a fun injury at all and in other sports has completely decimated players’ careers.

View attachment 3393

I did feel watching Maddison this season that he wasn’t the same player we’d seen in recent years. It’s hard to really track but his dynamism didn’t seem there where in previous years he’d try and run behind with and without the ball. Also for an attacking midfielder he has a very similar profile to someone like Calhanoglu who despite gaudy chance creation numbers relies mainly on set pieces and long shots for his goals and assists.

In terms of open play chance creation by attacking midfielders over the last couple of years the numbers have been dominated by KDB, Grealish and Bruno. Maddison isn’t really on that level so once you factor in how he’s coming off a year of stagnation with two reoccurring injuries I think it could be dicey.

I’m not one to turn my nose up at set piece chances as they’re a key part of the game but it’s important to know what we’re getting.

Camavinga I think would be an excellent buy in terms of buying him off a relative down year with his contract situation. Purely from an asset collection standpoint now would be the time to buy him as he surely has room to develop. I’ve not seen much of him but he looks a scary two way prospect from games I have.

Similar story for Lokonga where it’s good value and if he gets the game time you should be able to cash in for decent money even if he stagnates in a few years.

Sabitzer I’ve been on record as being sceptical over and I still am considering the role we’d ask him to play but I don’t hate the fee quoted and he’s clearly got a very good passing range as demonstrated in the Euros even though some of the opposition quality is highly debateable. He can play in a lot of different positions so if we do clear house of our midfielders, him and Lokonga for a combined 30M would fit in well with Partey and hopefully Willock.

Some fine posting there.

elZMh9d.gif

Barry

Definitely Not An Old Poster

View attachment 3392

View attachment 3393

View attachment 3400
1624309359118.png

Camron

Photoshop King
Trusted ⭐

Player:Martinelli

View attachment 3392

View attachment 3393

Nothing on Azpilicueta or Marcos Alonso.

tenor.gif

TakeChillPill

Established Member
I would be more interested in signing him if his name was James like James Rodriguez.

Then James Maddison said that way, has a more South American/Brazilian feel to it. Worth spending £60m on.

Last edited:

SlyFox

Watched the Sky Sport's interview that people have been talking about with Maddison and agree that he's impressive in it - comes across as a leader and a guy who is seeking to develop and improve his game. That's definitely made me think twice.

A foxes fan posted earlier about fan ratings for Maddison and it's true that he doesn't seem that rated for the season just gone. There is some interesting analysis on their forum - aggregated player ratings from the Leicester Mercury, from Whoscored and from the foxes talk forum members. Ndidi and Tielemans seem like the standouts from last season but there are some fans willing to pitch in for Maddison and defend his contribution.

It's something to think about but still - he's had an injury affected season, still posting good numbers. That interview would make me very optimistic if we signed him.

In the purple patch where he registered most of those I still wasn't impressed with his performances. Not all will agree with that, but he was pretty poor for 89 of the 90 minutes and saved himself a with goal contribution. Although knocking the ball two metres to your left and having Harvey Barnes smash one into the top corner from 35 yards, is going to register better on whoscored that in the mind of the fans.

Again, when he's on it he's a great player, need to get that out of him more often. Anyone thinking they are taking our best player or anywhere close, would be greatly mistaken though.

SlyFox

Im not opposed to this transfer, he brings elements we dont currently have. My big concern is how he will adapt to playing for a side that(hopefully) will dominate the ball most games. Has he got that patience and ability to create like a top cam will. He has only played for teams which lets be honest are punt and run, he has excelled as he has extra quality.
Good lord, someone is stuck in 2015. We had more possession in games last season and the season before than Arsenal.

As delusional as commentators who say Maddison is a good set-piece taker.

Blood on the Tracks

AG's best friend, role model and mentor.
Trusted ⭐

Player:Rice
Good lord, someone is stuck in 2015. We had more possession in games last season and the season before than Arsenal.

As delusional as commentators who say Maddison is a good set-piece taker.

From a Leicester fans perspective what would you say is an acceptable fee?

Also would you say the apparently reoccurring injuries should be a cause for concern for Arsenal fans?

Personally I don't doubt the guys quality it's more attitude / injury concerns that I have.

SlyFox

From a Leicester fans perspective what would you say is an acceptable fee?

Also would you say the apparently reoccurring injuries should be a cause for concern for Arsenal fans?

Personally I don't doubt the guys quality it's more attitude / injury concerns that I have.
Well we sold our 4th best defender for £85m and a left back who is always dog muck for half a season for £50m.... so £100m.

I'm kidding.

Depends what the club think of the injury I suppose. If it's going to settle down at some point, and they are confident of that, then they wouldn't sell for under £60-£65m IMO. Look at what Championship players go for!

As I said, hard to say really as it's what Rodgers and the medical staff think, that would dictate the price we'd accept.

Blood on the Tracks

AG's best friend, role model and mentor.
Trusted ⭐

Player:Rice
Well we sold our 4th best defender for £85m and a left back who is always dog muck for half a season for £50m.... so £100m.

I'm kidding.

Depends what the club think of the injury I suppose. If it's going to settle down at some point, and they are confident of that, then they wouldn't sell for under £60-£65m IMO. Look at what Championship players go for!

As I said, hard to say really as it's what Rodgers and the medical staff think, that would dictate the price we'd accept.

Thanks for that. Given the market and the English tax £60-65m doesn't seem too excessive.

Would you say his reported attitude issues are legit or a little overblown? I'm a bit concerned that living in London may not exactly help him with his off field behaviour :lol:

Trilly

Hates A-M, Saka, Arteta and You
Trusted ⭐

View attachment 3392

View attachment 3393

He’s back! Oh my God he’s actually back.

Happy World Cup GIF by FIFA

Ash10

Chairman of the Bum Brigade

View attachment 3392

View attachment 3393

Sexy Rexy back with a bang:lol:

OnlyOne

‘Donkeys don’t have a peak, they remain useless’
Trusted ⭐

Thoughts on Rex coming back to **** on your White, Maddison and Neves dreams?

What exactly did you need, a b*tch slap?

Someones had a beer, it's just nice seeing Rex back, he agrees with me on both Maddison and White, Neves not so much but that's cool.

Sapient Hawk

Can You Smell What The Hawk Is Cooking?
Trusted ⭐

View attachment 3392

View attachment 3393

Welcome back, Rex.

You missed quite a few attempts by Manberg to morph A-M into Goonersworld. Thanks to the diligence of the mods that failed, barely though 🤣

• Funny
Reactions: A_G

CaseUteinberger

Established Member

If Madison is nursing a hip injury I don't want us even close to signing him. We should just stay the hell away! Those injuries are bad news and the death of many athletes. Given that there are some other question marks around him we should just move on!

Gurru991

If Madison is nursing a hip injury I don't want us even close to signing him. We should just stay the hell away! Those injuries are bad news and the death of many athletes. Given that there are some other question marks around him we should just move on!
He has had an operation on his hip but it still continued to bother him last season. If he is healthy he is dynamite but if the hip continues to be an issue it could be disaster.

Latest posts

Top Bottom