• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

James Maddison

Heavy Duty Rom

Outdated Tweets Merchant
If Chilwell is £50M, Maguire is £80M, AWB is £50M and White is £45M then Maddison for £60M is a very, very fair amount.

For once United may help us out by signing Sancho for £72M. There's not a cat in hells chance Leicester can demand more for Maddison.
You are massively overrating him. He is a below average playmaker. What he does have is good ball striking ability which allows him to score the odd screamer and be a useful set pieces taker.

Yes, he’d improve us, but we can spend that money a lot better.

HairSprayGooners

My brother posted it ⏩
You are massively overrating him. He is a below average playmaker. What he does have is good ball striking ability which allows him to score the odd screamer and be a useful set pieces taker.

A below average playmaker? What do you think Bruno Fernandes is then if you think Maddison is below average as a playmaker? Maddison's through ball and chances created stats are the same as Fernandes.

I'd agree Maddison is no Özil, but he offers so much more in the AM role. He is definitely more like a Bruno than a Özil, but we need and want someone like Bruno in the side, you wouldn't turn that down.

Heavy Duty Rom

Outdated Tweets Merchant
A below average playmaker? What do you think Bruno Fernandes is then if you think Maddison is below average as a playmaker? Maddison's through ball and chances created stats are the same as Fernandes.

I'd agree Maddison is no Özil, but he offers so much more in the AM role. He is definitely more like a Bruno than a Özil, but we need and want someone like Bruno in the side, you wouldn't turn that down.
Yeah that’s a fair comparison to be honest. Personally I’d prefer an Ødegaard/Özil type, I think we have goals if we can get Pepe, Auba and Saka the ball quicker.

OnlyOne

🎙️ Future Journalist
Trusted ⭐

Yeah that’s a fair comparison to be honest. Personally I’d prefer an Ødegaard/Özil type, I think we have goals if we can get Pepe, Auba and Saka the ball quicker.

I remember second half vs West Ham was some of the best football we've played, yeah they sat off but we had no right pinning them back like we did.

Ødegaard was quality that game.

Heavy Duty Rom

Outdated Tweets Merchant
I remember second half vs West Ham was some of the best football we've played, yeah they sat off but we had no right pinning them back like we did.

Ødegaard was quality that game.
Yep, if you play with a 10, you need the 10 to be a player who makes everyone around him better. Maddison isn’t that.
If we are going for Maddison, we may aswell switch to a 433 where there are other options for the CM spots.

HairSprayGooners

My brother posted it ⏩

The thing with Özil and Ødegaard is its all well and good having someone like that in your team, but we don't cut to the chase with those guys in the team. They're beautiful technically, but did you notice last season Ødegaard would get into very, very good shooting positions but chose to pass. Very much like Özil, these guys love to assist but they aren't ruthless in front of goal.

Maddison is a ruthless number 10 akin to Fernandes, the amount that Fernandes helped United is absolutely outrageous. And that was with fairly similar attacking players to ours in terms of play style.

Heavy Duty Rom

Outdated Tweets Merchant
The thing with Özil and Ødegaard is its all well and good having someone like that in your team, but we don't cut to the chase with those guys in the team. They're beautiful technically, but did you notice last season Ødegaard would get into very, very good shooting positions but chose to pass. Very much like Özil, these guys love to assist but they aren't ruthless in front of goal.

Maddison is a ruthless number 10 akin to Fernandes, the amount that Fernandes helped United is absolutely outrageous. And that was with fairly similar attacking players to ours in terms of play style.
Has he really helped them though? From an individual point of view, Brunos numbers for G/A have been outrageous, but Utd got knocked out at the group stages of the CL. They lost in the EL final. They were largely average in the league. Also, take pens out of it and does he even get double figures for goals in the league?

As for Maddison, i wouldn't call him ruthless. He's more of a moments player, he plays in spells. He's had 3 seasons, playing for an attacking Leicester team, where he has a monopoly on set pieces and he's managed to score 7,6,8. A total of 21 goals in 3 seasons. Even a reluctant shooter like Özil came close to that in a 3 season span. I'd have also backed Ødegaard to match that.

I'd argue Leicester have been a more attacking team than even Arsenal of late, so why are Maddisons numbers for both goals and assists soo low?

Having a player who can link a team and make others around him play at a higher level is more important than having an individual numbers fiend. If you can find a KDB who can do both then great, but that is very rare, i feel Buendia could have done this for us.

Sebastes

Statbomb Merchant
Trusted ⭐

No they're not. Now you're making things up again. Bruno has double the amount of through balls per 90 and is some way ahead in all underlying creativity/chance creation stats.

I do agree he's more like Bruno than Özil though and that we could need someone like that, depending on formation.

HairSprayGooners

My brother posted it ⏩
No they're not. Now you're making things up again. Bruno has double the amount of through balls per 90 and is some way ahead in all underlying creativity/chance creation stats.

I do agree he's more like Bruno than Özil though and that we could need someone like that, depending on formation.

Shushhhhhh.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210706-222907_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20210706-222907_Chrome.jpg
    98.5 KB · Views: 60

SlyFox

Have you ever watched him? His set pieces are ****e for starters.

Goonger

By whom? More made-up nonsense, a bit like this £60m.

There were articles flying around last year that you were looking for £80M, although from poor sources.

There were also quotes from Rodgers that he was quite relaxed as you didn't want to sell Chilwell & therefore he's not for sale.

samspade

"You said I said" detection expert at your service
Yep, if you play with a 10, you need the 10 to be a player who makes everyone around him better. Maddison isn’t that.
If we are going for Maddison, we may aswell switch to a 433 where there are other options for the CM spots.
I naturally tend toward this type of thinking and agree Fernandes doesn't make his team mates better, he and Maddison are both selfish players who spam the ball away a lot to try to find a cutting final pass or shooting for goal, they don't have the ability to pick and choose where to take risks particularly well. But then you look around at 10's who both deliver end product and protect/refine the build up well and ask who really does that in today's game? Basically no one barring Messi, De Bruyne perhaps and they don't even play in 4-2-3-1 as pure 10's. The 10 does not look the way it used to nor the way people expect it to look. Thomas Müller is the highest level operator playing as a pure 10 in a 4-2-3-1 in football today and he's fairly tall, awkward, doesn't pick the ball up in the hole and move it on the way people think a 10 would but at the same time Bayern are absolutely devastating, he's a top finisher and clearly a big part of why they're so dangerous. Pure no. 10's are something people haven't thought about for a while, there aren't too many high class examples of them in the game at the moment and I think it's a little hazy as to what they should really be. I'm hoping the question gets a little clearer over the next few years. In the mean time maybe we should buy Maddison?

Last edited:

OSBK

Established Member
I dont think fernandes are maddison are a fair comparison. Fernandes plays with a much high standard of player than maddison(no offence to the crisp eating friends). A better comparision would be grealish or ESR(harsh as not much football).

Again no offence to the cheese and onion lot but arsenal is a step up. It then becomes a question of can maddison improve the team and perform in big key games week in and week out, the pressue on the lad will be immense from day 1. I like the player but do i think he can evolve and improve the team to a level where we can compete, no sorry.

Top Bottom