• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

James Maddison

A_G

Rice Rice Baby 🎼🎵
A-M CL Draft Campeón 🏆
He is not actually that bad as you have described. Yes, he is not as technically gifted as Buendia or Aouar. But from time to time, he did pull of some dribbling skills.

However, what let him down is his directness, his decision making, and his passing/through pass/one touch pass/one twos.
Lampard was quality technically, how else do you think he played at such a high level when his physical attributes had been criticised since he was a kid?

His passing and decision making was fine as well. After Mourinho went there Lampard had double digit assists in four of the next seasons, and 8 and 9 in the other two. Don't tell me this guy is ****:

Football Manager

Copy & Paste Merchant
Lampard was quality technically, how else do you think he played at such a high level when his physical attributes had been criticised since he was a kid?

His passing and decision making was fine as well. After Mourinho went there Lampard had double digit assists in four of the next seasons, and 8 and 9 in the other two. Don't tell me this guy is ****:
Thought it was about Maddison. So my reply was on Maddison, my bad.

Reactions: A_G

OnlyOne

‘Donkeys don’t have a peak, they remain useless’
Trusted ⭐

He is the first option. It's just that Madrid don't want to sell as things stand. We probably don't want to show our hand yet. We could offer them 40m and they'll ask for 80m.

I don't think he is if the Maddison interest is genuine.

El Duderino

That's, like, your opinion, man.

Today feels like a Friday where you might ban a fool or two... Can see GDeep testing you with an a triple threat of Emi, William and cedric/Mari posts.

MikelHadADream

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
Cant believe people turning their noses up at Maddison. Prem proven, gets goals, creates chances, good age, home grown. These are the things we are crying out for.

England have a golden generation of players, I'm all for going for guys like White and Maddison, it may put is in position to secure more talents in the future.

Gn1212

Buendia is definitely the superior player. Club ****ed that up because they were still waiting on Ødegaard.

Football Manager

Copy & Paste Merchant
Buendia is technically more gifted, I'd agree with that. But Maddison puts up better numbers, consistently as well. Also has room to improve and naturally slots right into the AM role.

In terms of a cost effective signing yeah Buendia and even Pereira make sense. But it seems we are going big for whatever reason. And in that case Maddison is the answer.
That’s why we need Buendia. You have literally said it yourself.

You always bring up stats. But do you know a lot of individual stats are trade offs for the team stats?

For example, we have 5 attackers against a block of 5 defenders.

With a limited goal scorer in the team (Auba), we will be one man down in the build up. We now have 4 creative plays against 5 defenders.

And with one more limited player in the team (Özil, who disappears in the build up most of the time, and only shows up when a final pass is needed), we are 3 v 5 in the build up.

(Technically gifted creative players will always like to involve in the general play. They pass, move into space, offer passing option, receive, pass again, move again, receive again...repeat. They will not just wait for the team to give them the ball, and then just make an “impact”.)

And because of this 3 v 5, you are not able to create chances (quality-wise and quantity-wise). You are also more likely to lose possession to the opponent, because you have a numerical disadvantage. Now the opponent have more of the ball. You lost even more control and create even less chances. You can only play ugly defensive football now and hope for the counter attacks.

That was exactly the reason why we have declined so much. We lost so many talented creative players (Nasri, Fabregas, rosicky, Hleb, Arshavin, Van Persie, Cazorla, Sanchez....we have fewer and fewer of these players over the years) and replaced them with limited one-dimensional players.

You can bring up the individual player stats as much as you wanted. But because of their lack of contribution in the other 8x mins, and only like to make “impact” in a few moments out of the 90 mins, these players make their team worse. The team stats are getting worse and worse because of them. We can’t have anymore of these one-dimensional players in our team.

And also, how are you going to measure pre assist, pre pre assist, pre pre pre assist.....? Can you measure the ability to create space, create through passes, create possession, create attacking threat by dribbling, create one touch passes (I know some can be measured but you get my point).

These are contribution that makes the team plays better. If you can measure these stats, Buendia would be the one to top these stats. Maddison as an “impact player” would stay away from all these, make no contribution to the team, wait for the team to serve him, and then just score or make an assist. These “impacts” may add to his individual stats but make the team worse off. His stats may look better but he is not as good as Buendia.

Stats are good reference. But sometimes you need to forget about stats for a second, watch a 90mins match and observe if the player actually plays well. What does he do without the ball? What does he do with the ball? His tactical awareness. His positioning, decision making, his teamwork...these can all be observed and will not all be record down as stats.

bingobob

A-M’s Resident Hunskelper
Trusted ⭐

After watching Zidane, Seedorf, Vieira, Scholes, Pirlo.......and many more of these amazing midfielders, you would realise the likes of lampard, gerrard and ballack are shxt.
If that's your sentiment pretty much every footballer is ****e. Lampard, Gerrard and Ballack were top drawer players. Just because they are different to those players you've listed doesn't mean they were ****.

Trilly

Hates A-M, Saka, Arteta and You
Trusted ⭐

I actually think that bad vibes Mikel could sell him a dream since that’s the only thing he’s good at plus the bag can make a massive difference and living in London just look at Thomas Partey and Aubameyang, they both gave up CL football to take a step down to us.

Ben White and Bellingham both for 110m.

#OurNewBritishCore2021
Honestly if it wasn't for London and the salaries we could offer we would be absolutely finished.

Gn1212

I don't think he is if the Maddison interest is genuine.
Maddison is an alternative as per Fabrizio and the others. Ødegaard is still the priority but Madrid ain't budging.
It's been reported that we keep tabs on multiple players in our shortlist so we can have alternatives. Buendia is an example, an example we missed out because of Ødegaard.

Garrincha

Wilf Zaha Aficionado
Trusted ⭐
That was exactly the reason why we have declined so much. We lost so many talented creative players (Nasri, Fabregas, rosicky, Hleb, Arshavin, Van Persie, Cazorla, Sanchez....we have fewer and fewer of these players over the years) and replaced them with limited one-dimensional players.
its about balance... Wenger literally added Ramsey to that group as his 'Lampard'

"In my head Ramsey was going to be a player between 10 and 15 goals a year," he said.

"He is a Frank Lampard type. He is [about] getting in the box and he has a huge capacity to run. Physically, he has a combination of stamina, power and his capacity to repeat high intensity is certainly the best in the league.

El Duderino

That's, like, your opinion, man.
Seriously, why do people bother with him?

Honest to God, why?

The lad is a football dogmatic and nothing will change his mind. A player he doesn't like could come in, get 70 goals in a season and lead us to the first p38 w38 EPL title and he would still find him ****.

Bloody hell

Barry

Definitely Not An Old Poster
What I found surprising was that Lampard didn't start hitting those massive 10+ goal seasons until he was 25. In my head he was much younger. There's no guarantees but I suppose it shows that we could bring in a Maddison for example, who then really steps up a gear from their previous club level.

Football Manager

Copy & Paste Merchant
Seriously, why do people bother with him?

Honest to God, why?

The lad is a football dogmatic and nothing will change his mind. A player he doesn't like could come in, get 70 goals in a season and lead us to the first p38 w38 EPL title and he would still find him ****.

Bloody hell
So, what do you disagree on this:
That’s why we need Buendia. You have literally said it yourself.

You always bring up stats. But do you know a lot of individual stats are trade offs for the team stats?

For example, we have 5 attackers against a block of 5 defenders.

With a limited goal scorer in the team (Auba), we will be one man down in the build up. We now have 4 creative plays against 5 defenders.

And with one more limited player in the team (Özil, who disappears in the build up most of the time, and only shows up when a final pass is needed), we are 3 v 5 in the build up.

(Technically gifted creative players will always like to involve in the general play. They pass, move into space, offer passing option, receive, pass again, move again, receive again...repeat. They will not just wait for the team to give them the ball, and then just make an “impact”.)

And because of this 3 v 5, you are not able to create chances (quality-wise and quantity-wise). You are also more likely to lose possession to the opponent, because you have a numerical disadvantage. Now the opponent have more of the ball. You lost even more control and create even less chances. You can only play ugly defensive football now and hope for the counter attacks.

You can bring up the individual player stats as much as you wanted. But because of their lack of contribution in the other 8x mins, and only like to make “impact” in a few moments out of the 90 mins, these players make their team worse. The team stats are getting worse and worse because of them. We can’t have anymore of these one-dimensional players in our team.

And also, how are you going to measure pre assist, pre pre assist, pre pre pre assist.....? Can you measure the ability to create space, create through passes, create possession, create attacking threat by dribbling, create one touch passes (I know some can be measured but you get my point).

These are contribution that makes the team plays better. If you can measure these stats, Buendia would be the one to top these stats. Maddison as an “impact player” would stay away from all these, make no contribution to the team, wait for the team to serve him, and then just score or make an assist. These “impacts” may add to his individual stats but make the team worse off. His stats may look better but he is not as good as Buendia.

Stats are good reference. But sometimes you need to forget about stats for a second, watch a 90mins match and observe if the player actually plays well. What does he do without the ball? What does he do with the ball? His tactical awareness. His positioning, decision making, his teamwork...these can all be observed and will not all be record down as stats.

Top Bottom