• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

James Maddison

Barry

Definitely Not An Old Poster
The problem is we actually don't know what we are getting. If we can get the Maddison that was acing it in 19/20 then great, but the 20/21 Maddison was really nothing special at all.

It's a huge risk with his ongoing hip injuries and his recent poor form. There is no guarantee he will rediscover that earlier form. For 60 + mil, you would expect less risk of floppiness

Maybe Edu forgot to pay his StatDNA subscription last season, that's why he's going so punchy on White & Mads. Using last year's data 😅

Football Manager

Copy & Paste Merchant
I’m guessing you don’t rate Bruno too and probably Joe Willock?
Why would I not rate Bruno?

And it does not matter whom I rate or don’t rate. It’s about which type of player our club need.

I have given my reason in the post just above, that why we need a certain type of player.

2Smokeyy

5.0 ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ (49)
Trusted ⭐

Why would I not rate Bruno?

And it does not matter whom I rate or don’t rate. It’s about which type of player our club need.

I have given my reason in the post just above, that why we need a certain type of player.

Because it seems like you’re not into those type of footballers.

And FWIW I got bored reading that first sentence. Ain’t nobody got time for that essay.

Gn1212

Seeing too much Maddison slander. I think there are better choices than him and possibly cheaper ones but he is by no means a poor player. If he comes in he definitely strengthens the team.

Sebastes

Statbomb Merchant
Trusted ⭐

Lampard was quality technically, how else do you think he played at such a high level when his physical attributes had been criticised since he was a kid?

His passing and decision making was fine as well. After Mourinho went there Lampard had double digit assists in four of the next seasons, and 8 and 9 in the other two. Don't tell me this guy is ****:
Not going to say that I think so overall, but going from a comp like that the one player he actually reminds me of stylistically is actually Zidane 😂

Football Manager

Copy & Paste Merchant
Not going to say that I think so overall, but going from a comp like that the one player he actually reminds me of stylistically is actually Zidane 😂
That is an insult to Zidane.

Zidane was magical.

gerrard and lampard are like big hard strong physical defenders running up and down the pitch trying to help everything.

bingobob

A-M’s Resident Hunskelper
Trusted ⭐

What are you on about. That team plays beautiful intelligent football, that makes me an Arsenal fan. A great combination of technique and physical qualities.
Physical qualities? That's the think that team lacked. It was technique, guile, flair with a real lack of physical power. Our midfield was powder puff. We were the first two pigs the Big bad wolf got to back then.

Sebastes

Statbomb Merchant
Trusted ⭐

That is an insult to Zidane.

Zidane was magical.

gerrard and lampard are like big hard strong physical defenders running up and down the pitch trying to help everything.
It's actually not. Note I didn't say overall, but rather going off the comp. I also didn't say Lampard was at the same level, or even near it. I said that in that video, Lampard's style is reminiscent of Zidane.

You claim that your user name springs from your interest in the tactical aspect of the game, but you're not very good at understanding different tactics and how to utilise different player's strengths. It's pretty amazing to me how you can claim to love the tactical side of the game yet have such extreme tunnel vision when it comes to possible set ups and players.

Football Manager

Copy & Paste Merchant
It's actually not. Note I didn't say overall, but rather going off the comp. I also didn't say Lampard was at the same level, or even near it. I said that in that video, Lampard's style is reminiscent of Zidane.

You claim that your user name springs from your interest in the tactical aspect of the game, but you're not very good at understanding different tactics and how to utilise different player's strengths. It's pretty amazing to me how you can claim to love the tactical side of the game yet have such extreme tunnel vision when it comes to possible set ups and players.
Of course I understand the other tactics and other ways of playing football, and how they could work. I just don’t like them and find them boring.

Just like how benitez would look down on beautiful attacking football. And how Guardiola will not play like benitez.

Last edited:

Kysus

Of course I understand the other tactics and other ways of playing football, and how they could work. I just don’t like them and find them boring.

Just like how benitez would look down on beautiful attacking football. And how Guardiola will not play like benitez.
A wise man never looks down on another opinion as he is aware that there is no absolute truth in the relative realm of existence.
Embracing all the different flavors of life instead of getting caught in illusory duality.

SingmeasongSong

Right Sometimes
There are different paths to success with various player profiles.
Lampard and Gerrard wont work in every setup, but they can be the key to others.

Personally prefer the Wenger and Klopp styles of football rather than an overall pretty dull City/Pep approach.

Every approach can bring you success, can win you a world cup, a Champions league, a league title - it really depends on having the right solution/idea at the right time that other teams find it hard to work out.

In any case, you'll need a perfect implementation of your style and approach, thereby, a Gerrard and Lampard can be better for your needs, if it's fitting into your philosophy.

I've seen Liverpool counter and high press heavy metal football absolutely humiliate Pep's possession based way of football whilst I've just as well seen Barca making ManU in their prime look like school kids in a CL final, playing as in training outsmarting the other way around.

It really depends and it does so as well in terms of what 5-6 players we eventually sign in total, which will pretty much showcase what Arteta prefers to achieve.

As of now, I'd had Buendia as the perfect match alongside another imposing midfielder like Bissouma, in a 433 with a Liverpool pressing machine.
But that can change, Arteta has learned from Pepe after all.

Sebastes

Statbomb Merchant
Trusted ⭐

Of course I understand the other tactics and other ways of playing football. And how they could work. I just don’t like them and find them boring.

What I mean is that if you'd truly appreciate the tactical side of the game you wouldn't bash a manager like Benitez. No matter what you think of the tactics he employs 🙂

And you take it to an extreme when you say Gerrard and Lampard were ****. I guess I do the same when it comes to stats, but I'll allow myself a bit of hypocrisy here. Saying those players are **** isn't showcasing any credible knowledge of football. They were brilliant players in the right set up - which brings us back to appreciating the tactical side of the game. Tactics isn't about admiring Guardiola's way of splashing the cash to get the exact profiles to suit his style and then doing it over again when a €40m+ player wasn't exactly what he was hoping for. Admiring tactics is appreciating Chris Wilder's way of making that Sheffield Utd team survive for a year (and thrive for parts of it) by having the RCB and LCB overlapping the wing backs and in that bringing something to the table the opponent is prepared or set up to defend against.

Latest posts+

Top Bottom