• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

James Maddison

HairSprayGooners

My brother posted it ⏩
What did Edu do good in 2019, 2020 and 2021? I count it as 3 summers.

His first summer was last summer no?

Lets look at the positives and negatives of his time here.

Positives -
  1. Managed to sign up every single youngster worth keeping including Balogun which was a brilliant U turn. Contract for Saka, Martinelli and ESR during our toughest period is huge.
  2. Concluded a deal for Gabriel and persuaded Partey to join, two key figures for the coming seasons.
  3. Made some astute signings in Mari, Lokonga and Tavares thus far.
  4. Cleared most of the crap that had been left behind by old regimes. Probably around 80% there in that regard.
  5. Managed to tie Tierney down to a new deal, huge. Edu has dealt with contracts impeccably.
  6. Every single starter signing we've either purchased or are going for cash signings wise are excellent. Very impressed by this, we aren't targeting any real dross for money signings. You are of course bound to get one or two flops soon though.

Now the negatives -

1. The length of the Willian deal is poor, nothing else to say on that.
  2. Cedric, despite being a nice player to have in the squad as backup, is on fairly high wages. No fee for the player balances it out, but makes him impossible to get rid of in the future.
  3. Signing Runarrsson was poor, but he was peanuts, not every signing will work out.

People don't give him enough credit, everyone in that position will make mistakes, every single club in world football makes bad signings as well. Especially during a rebuild. But he's using our cash for signings very wisely and very well so far.

@Makingtrax will tell you that this is worse than signing Mustafi, Xhaka and Perez for over £80M though all on at least 80k a week.

samspade

"You said I said" detection expert at your service
Why is it that nobody will pay much for our players, if at all, but we’re paying over the odds for players we want. How useless is our management?
There aren’t any recent examples of prem teams selling abroad for significant amounts. Italy and Spain are broke, we’re looking to sell dross in a market with no money, terrible recipe. The main priority is to make sure we get good money for the academy graduates we don’t want, that’s where the money is, the rest need to be sold or shot.

MikelHadADream

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
There aren’t any recent examples of prem teams selling abroad for significant amounts. Italy and Spain are broke, we’re looking to sell dross in a market with no money, terrible recipe. The main priority is to make sure we get good money for the academy graduates we don’t want, that’s where the money is, the rest need to be sold or shot.

Yep; spot on. I think it's why we're now looking at the domestic market for incomings. There is the HG aspect, but also of they don't work out we have a much easier market to sell them in.

Rasmi

Negative Nancy

Leicester don’t have to sell. But they can’t stop us from liking him and monitoring him everyday

Maybe

You're wrong, no?
His first summer was last summer no?

Lets look at the positives and negatives of his time here.

Positives -
  1. Managed to sign up every single youngster worth keeping including Balogun which was a brilliant U turn. Contract for Saka, Martinelli and ESR during our toughest period is huge.
  2. Concluded a deal for Gabriel and persuaded Partey to join, two key figures for the coming seasons.
  3. Made some astute signings in Mari, Lokonga and Tavares thus far.
  4. Cleared most of the crap that had been left behind by old regimes. Probably around 80% there in that regard.
  5. Managed to tie Tierney down to a new deal, huge. Edu has dealt with contracts impeccably.
  6. Every single starter signing we've either purchased or are going for cash signings wise are excellent. Very impressed by this, we aren't targeting any real dross for money signings. You are of course bound to get one or two flops soon though.

Now the negatives -

1. The length of the Willian deal is poor, nothing else to say on that.
  2. Cedric, despite being a nice player to have in the squad as backup, is on fairly high wages. No fee for the player balances it out, but makes him impossible to get rid of in the future.
  3. Signing Runarrsson was poor, but he was peanuts, not every signing will work out.

People don't give him enough credit, everyone in that position will make mistakes, every single club in world football makes bad signings as well. Especially during a rebuild. But he's using our cash for signings very wisely and very well so far.

@Makingtrax will tell you that this is worse than signing Mustafi, Xhaka and Perez for over £80M though all on at least 80k a week.
By the end of next season, I think we'll be able to add Lokonga and Ben to the positives list.

"Ins" were mostly on point apart from some dodgy free transfer contracts he did, but "outs" are really concerning here. Can't say it's on Edu though as this was mostly an inherited problem going back to Gazidis and Wenger. If he manages to offload some of the deadwood, think it would be perfect business from him but it's really hard when you see how poor these players are and the contracts they are on.

It's also hard to say if he was involved in Saliba and Douzi mess or was that mostly on Arteta.

Edu is really not that a likable character so he will get more criticism than he deserves

SlyFox

Ainsley was capped by England last year and if he wasn’t frozen out by Arteta, he might’ve made a case for the tournament. Hardly a cast off, mate.
You don’t want him, he’s a cast off. If he’s not good enough for you, why on earth would he be good enough for us? The only interest we had was when we had half our team out injured.

SlyFox

You wrote about 50 posts in the James Maddison thread on an Arsenal forum trying to convince people that one of your main players is not actually that great of a player and would never be leaving to a club that is past it and could actually never afford him because your club is asking £70m for a player they don’t rate?

Why? I mean, it’s nothing personal as its not just you, but it’s always fans from small clubs signing up to our forum writing exactly those same posts but in their specific player transfer thread. I never understood it.
It’s quite simple, I mean the information is all there. He can be a good player, but he’s struggled with injuries and been below par for a lot of the last two seasons.

So anyone crowing about him being one of our best players only has to look at how he’s performed and how fans rated him.

That said, a lot of that has been down to the reoccurring injury. If the club are confident that’s in hand, they aren’t selling him cheap, because when on form his is one of the best.

I’ve said nothing about you being past it, or you not being able to afford it. I’m sure you can afford it if the owner decided to spend. But would you spend it on a player with that question mark, no.

As for joining Arsenal, I think it’s a questionable move for a player, especially if they are confident in their ability and want to get to the top. Sure they can get huge money there, but the biggest issue currently is that joining Arsenal essentially blocks any move to Man U, Man City, Liverpool and Chelsea for about 4 years.

Others have been getting their house in order and yet I’ve seen you making strange decisions. That would put me off as a player and make me wonder if that’s the right move. You need to get back to being with the other big 4 again (I’m not including Sp**s), to erase those questions.

Latest posts+

Top Bottom