• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

James Maddison

dashsnow17

Doesn’t Rate Any Of Our Attackers
Trusted ⭐
Summer 2035: smoke from the Siberian perma-fire covers the skies of Europe, Plymouth Argyle fan 'The Peng Pilgrim' has posted his 300th message on AM insisting their star striker wouldn't take a step down and he doesn't care cos he's sh*t anyway, Mikel Arteta hides in the bushes as William Saliba opens the front door during his son's 8th birthday party to find a bag of burning faeces.

Camron

Photoshop King
Trusted ⭐

Player:Martinelli
Summer 2035: smoke from the Siberian perma-fire covers the skies of Europe, Plymouth Argyle fan 'The Peng Pilgrim' has posted his 300th message on AM insisting their star striker wouldn't take a step down and he doesn't care cos he's sh*t anyway, Mikel Arteta hides in the bushes as William Saliba opens the front door during his son's 8th birthday party to find a bag of burning faeces.
Mikel not gonna stop until every member of the Saliba family is on loan somewhere.

Rasmi

Negative Nancy

Leicester fully expect him to commit to a long-term deal, he has even returned to training a week earlier than his Euro leave required. So I'd expect an announcement very shortly about him being tied down for a further 4/5 years.

Do you want my opinion, or the clubs?

For me, he is always going to be compared to Grealish/Foden/Mount based are their 'similar' playing styles, and the fact they're expected to perform similar roles and contribute significantly to goals + assists.
Maddison, is comfortably the weakest of the four, and is miles and miles behind Grealish. He doesn't stamp his authority on the game anywhere near often enough as the other 3.

I've seen debates on here about whether or not has a number '8' or '10'....
His best position is 10, purely because he lacks the ability to cover ground well enough to be an '8', or has the defensive positioning required for that to matter.
Number '10s' are rarely spotted as often in the modern game, even Bruno Fernandes, that plays there, has the ability to get around the park that a number 8 has and is always available to drop deep or stick his foot it. A 'natural 10', like a James Rodriguez or a Coutinho, have been pushed out wide right and left respectively, because of their inability to cover ground and offer defensive support in the middle of the pitch.

If Maddison plays, the midfield often looks like this...

.....................Tielemans.................Ndidi

......................................Maddison

Tielemans having to be more withdrawn, even as an 8, because Rodgers doesn't trust Maddison's defensive ability.
With the arrival of Soumare and emergence of KDH though, this season would give him the option of.....

...................................Ndidi

..............Tielemans................Soumare/KDH

Ndidi, for some reason, looks weaker when he actually has more defensive support next to him. He's a typical 'Anchor Man', and struggles more when his team mates are also defensively in his own area.

I'm sure you might have just settled for a simple 'Yes', or 'No'.....But I've tried to add a bit of detail, because of course, if I simply state 'Yes he is dispensable', it's obviously going to be because I'm in some way upset that he is leaving.
He's the most dispensable member of our Midfield, that's my opinion.

My only problem with him leaving, is the upheaval on the squad this summer.
We have already added 4 players to the first team squad, Bertrand/KDH/Soumare/Daka, and Rodgers still wants another CB and a right winger.

I've also been told that there are other options surrounding this transfer, with regards to targets for Leicester, but will add that in a separate post as this one is purely based on my opinion that you asked for....
In my honest opinion, selling Maddison this window makes us slightly weaker short term, not because of the fact we would be losing Maddison, but the fact we would then be gelling 6/7 players into the 25 man squad....That rarely ever works well.
If this was 12 months time, and Soumare/KDH/Daka had been in the squad for 12 months, and deals were available for Berardi and a number 10 that we wanted, I'd bite your hands of for £60 million.
Great post and this is why I think there are better ways for us to with the many we talking about. The problem Arsenal have is we are significantly behind Leicester in the scouting department. We have recently decimated our whole scouting department and relies on few people who use data to find players. Maddison is in the top 5 creating chances, we need an attacking midfielder and boom it’s really that simple. We want Ramsdale he made the most saves in the league last season and boom there you have your keeper. It’s really poor way to build a squad and they don’t take the whole picture into account. Maddison is way behind top English players on his position like Grealish and foden. But outside of age on his side I don’t think he is even better than Lindgard. The club also suffers from the grass being greener on the other side

Take Fofana and Saliba. 2 cb same age from same club both very highly rated talents. One had a manager who nurtured him and understood young players make mistakes, but with minutes will get better and it’s worth persisting on talent. The other one had a rookie manager who preferred a journeyman in Mari. If the roles were reversed saliba would be playing for Leicester now and fofana would be sent back to France by Arsenal.

Goonger

Right, so new information on Leicester's targets....

Should Berardi be unavailable this summer, as it is looking likely, Leicester will not be looking to sell Maddison until possibly next year, instead keeping him and bringing in a couple of loans.

They're already enquiring about loan deals for Marco Asensio, with an optional future fee of £15-20 million, Dan James on loan is also an option but Man United would prefer to loan to a team not challenging for the top 4. Noni Madueke from PSV is a target, but with them selling Malen Leicester didn't get good feedback about a deal this summer. Leicester were actually hoping to sign Trincao from Barcelona, after putting in a big bid last summer and having scouted him for years, but Wolves's Portuguese links put a stop to that. Pereira is still a target for Leicester, but West Brom keep increasing the fee required for him.

It also looks as though Leicester will shift their CB target, if Kabak is considered too expensive, to a loan deal for an experienced CB or a short term contract for an experienced CB available for a minimal fee or on a free.
They will be in the race for Tarkowski and Ings, both on free transfers, next season.

Unless Leicester see movement on Berardi and their number 8/10 targets, this deal isn't going ahead.

Forgive me ProspectFox, but I'm just not sure I believe your story about your mate being on scouting department or transfer department or whatever, as why out of all the platforms would you choose to devulge your privileged information on a rival teams message board.

However, you seem like at the very least you've researched likely targets & looked at different scenarios logically & seem to construct good posts / conversations etc so I quite like conversing with rival fans like that.

truth_hurts

but Holding’s hair transplant was painless
How do Leicester fit in Ieanacho, Vardy, Daka, Maddison, Barnes and Perez (less of a starter) in to one line up? Confirm Under barely got a look in last season and Berradi was starting for Italy, so wouldn't be a squad man at Leicester.

Selling Maddison might help them a little? Get a worker in midfield which allows them to play 3 forwards.

Rasmi

Negative Nancy

How do Leicester fit in Ieanacho, Vardy, Daka, Maddison, Barnes and Perez (less of a starter) in to one line up? Confirm Under barely got a look in last season and Berradi was starting for Italy, so wouldn't be a squad man at Leicester.

Selling Maddison might help them a little? Get a worker in midfield which allows them to play 3 forwards.
Vardy will be an impact sub this year. Kalechi clearly overtook him last season

Goonger

Great post and this is why I think there are better ways for us to with the many we talking about. The problem Arsenal have is we are significantly behind Leicester in the scouting department. We have recently decimated our whole scouting department and relies on few people who use data to find players. Maddison is in the top 5 creating chances, we need an attacking midfielder and boom it’s really that simple. We want Ramsdale he made the most saves in the league last season and boom there you have your keeper. It’s really poor way to build a squad and they don’t take the whole picture into account. Maddison is way behind top English players on his position like Grealish and foden. But outside of age on his side I don’t think he is even better than Lindgard. The club also suffers from the grass being greener on the other side

Take Fofana and Saliba. 2 cb same age from same club both very highly rated talents. One had a manager who nurtured him and understood young players make mistakes, but with minutes will get better and it’s worth persisting on talent. The other one had a rookie manager who preferred a journeyman in Mari. If the roles were reversed saliba would be playing for Leicester now and fofana would be sent back to France by Arsenal.

You're talking about 2 different things Rasmi. Their scouting department won't be significantly ahead of ours. Everyone knows about Soumare, everyone knows about Daka, everyone knows about Berardi, Pereira, Kabak etc, you'd be naive to think scouting departments don't have databases & files upon files on players these days. In the recent past we've bought the likes of Saliba, Martinelli, Lokonga for instance.

What you are talking about is recruitment strategy & integration into the first team, & that's where we've been a bit all over the place, but that can be explained with the management structure being all over the place as well.

Rasmi

Negative Nancy

You're talking about 2 different things Rasmi. Their scouting department won't be significantly ahead of ours. Everyone knows about Soumare, everyone knows about Daka, everyone knows about Berardi, Pereira, Kabak etc, you'd be naive to think scouting departments don't have databases & files upon files on players these days. In the recent past we've bought the likes of Saliba, Martinelli, Lokonga for instance.

What you are talking about is recruitment strategy & integration into the first team, & that's where we've been a bit all over the place, but that can be explained with the management structure being all over the place as well.
That is true. Martinelli is the next problem for me. There doesn’t seem to be clear plan to integrate him in the team. With xhaka staying there doesn’t seem to be another cm coming. What about willock. The club worked so hard on securing balugon. But we looking for new striker with Auba staying. I feel like we collecting young players more of assets, but if they don’t play the value of the asset will decrease

HairSprayGooners

My brother posted it ⏩

Enter Rasmi. A guy who will believe quite literally a nobody over tier 1 sources. Wouldn't surprise me if you made that fox account tbh just to interact with yourself.

Goonger

That is true. Martinelli is the next problem for me. There doesn’t seem to be clear plan to integrate him in the team. With xhaka staying there doesn’t seem to be another cm coming. What about willock. The club worked so hard on securing balugon. But we looking for new striker with Auba staying. I feel like we collecting young players more of assets, but if they don’t play the value of the asset will decrease

I agree abut Martinelli, that's why I'm not sure if any potential Martinez deal makes sense the more I think about it.

I've no doubt he's a very good player, but is he the player we need, when we have a younger but less developed version in Martinelli. I can't believe I'm going to say this but does Tammy with a totally different profile & maybe half the cost make more sense?

truth_hurts

but Holding’s hair transplant was painless

I agree with you although there could be a (let's say) 3 year plan to integrate Martinelli and possibly Balogun.

Saka is a starter now, has to be due to his performances. ESR isn't far away from being a starting players. Perhaps mid table Mik trusts Lokonga and Martinelli to play a role this year before become bigger players for us next (ala Saka and the second half of the season for ESR). Before you know it Saka, ESR, Martinelli are proven Premier League players in their early twenties who can be relied upon, whilst Willian, Laca and Auba are long gone. It could be a very smooth transition.

Lokonga will be ready to take over from Xhaka next to Partey and all of a sudden we have a very serious team in two seasons. I haven't even mentioned Leno, White, Gabriel and Tierney who of a great age to develop further or Pepe.

I don't trust the process, but do trust that our youngsters bar Saliba are being managed alright.

Latest posts+

Top Bottom