• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Jan Oblak

Status
Not open for further replies.

al-Ustaadh

👳‍♂️ Figuring out how to delete my account 👳‍♂️
They'll never hold them to that though. They're a club that still has to sell players, they're second fiddle to Premiership teams and the big two.

I think around maybe 40-50 might be enough, it'd make him the most expensive keeper ever off the top of my head.

Maybe PSG would stump that up for him but got a feeling they'll be after Donnarumma or Lafont in a couple of years anyway.

Atletico are nearing the end of their cycle as a real challenger to the big two. Griezmann and Oblak are probably off, hopefully here :lol:
Would love for Griezmann to come here. Think he'd be amazing on the wing for us. But he's already said he'll never come here because of how Arsenal treated his transfer when he was at Sociedad. ****ing Wenger and his dallying.

Rex Stone

Long live the fighters
Trusted ⭐

Wow interesting, that's a lot more feasible then. I still think we'll end up with a less established but promising keeper, but if that's true I could see us considering it.

The club isn't stupid, it's pragmatic. Even in this crazy market I don't think goalkeepers can be justified at 80M. They know deep down there's not gonna be a market for him at that price and they're a club that is willing to sell at the right price. It's why they're a hit with so many young players, they know if they go to Atletico the club won't hold them to ransom like say Dortmund would. They're happy being a stepping stone for these lads.

If PSG suddenly got involved and wanted him they'd obviously sell at a huge rate but 40/50 is still a LOT for a goalkeeper.

There's a lot of good keepers out there right now like you say, feel Oblak wouldn't be a Wenger signing. Maybe more of a Raul/Sven buy.

Batman

Head of the Wayne foundation for benching Nketiah

Player:Saliba
The club isn't stupid, it's pragmatic. Even in this crazy market I don't think goalkeepers can be justified at 80M. They know deep down there's not gonna be a market for him at that price and they're a club that is willing to sell at the right price. It's why they're a hit with so many young players, they know if they go to Atletico the club won't hold them to ransom like say Dortmund would. They're happy being a stepping stone for these lads.

If PSG suddenly got involved and wanted him they'd obviously sell at a huge rate but 40/50 is still a LOT for a goalkeeper.

There's a lot of good keepers out there right now like you say, feel Oblak wouldn't be a Wenger signing. Maybe more of a Raul/Sven buy.
Really nobody that we bring in at this point should be a Wenger signing. Even ignoring performance his shelf life is very limited. The club should not be beholden to players he picks when he won't be managing that much longer.

Penn_

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
Don't think keepers are the type of position you drop 80M on, they can save you points but to that extent? Given the choice I'd rather a cheaper GK and an elite defender/winger/midfielder.

Slartibartfast

CIES Loyalist
Hard to say what it would actually take to get him. I saw one headline that referred to him as "£45 million rated." I just checked the latest CIES valuations and he's rated at €74.8 million. A quick trip to the currency converter tells me that's about £65.9 million. But in the end it would depend on what Atletico is willing to take for him and how much he would want to push for a transfer (if at all).

Slartibartfast

CIES Loyalist
Not sure why there's a feeling he's bound for PSG. Antero Henrique, PSG's sporting director, flatly denied about a month ago that they had any interest in Oblak. He said they were very happy with Areola and Trapp. He said Areola is the future of the French national team and "we don't need a goalkeeper."

Besides, it really would make no sense for them financially. They're already struggling to shed players to get within the Financial Fair Play rules. To spend that much on a goalkeeper when they have two excellent ones already (and a couple of really good prospects as well) would force them to sell other assets beyond what they already need to sell.

dashsnow17

Doesn’t Rate Any Of Our Attackers
Trusted ⭐
I'd go as far as 50m for a GK as good as Oblak, not 80m though.

Three positions of dire need: GK, CB, DM. We're not gonna drop a big fee on all three of them. If we drop a fee on two of them that'd be fine with a cheap & innovative solution for the other.

Oblak, Maguire & Fabinho. Two players of that calibre plus a cheaper solution I think is reasonable business.

dashsnow17

Trusted ⭐
Timo Horn playing against Dortmund in a few mins if you wanna check him out too.

Jasard

Forum Issue Troubleshooter

We're looking like a potentially interesting project for signing at the moment, could be building something big.

dashsnow17

Trusted ⭐
I'd add a winger to that, we have virtually none atm. Mkhi and Iwobi are our two senior ones, and that are both central-creator types.

Pavon is a good cheap-ish option here.

Yeah a winger I agree, I just meant those positions are urgent because of how bad we've been defensively the last two seasons. But yeah the squad could use a winger, I wouldn't mind going for a cheap Sven project there. I'd rather spend 50m on a defensive player than Malcom at this point.

dashsnow17

Trusted ⭐
Agreed, but the lack of links atm to midfielders is a worry. Think Ramsey might leave though so someone will have to come in.

True, we're usually linked to CMs on a more regular basis. There were the Max Meyer links though and i'm sure we'll see more between now and the summer.

Aevi

Hale End FC
Think Ramsey might leave though so someone will have to come in.
I've been thinking the same. There is just no room in our first team for all of him, Özil, and Wilshere, and I think he and Wenger know it. With Jack and Mesut signing on, he's the odd one out.

This would explain the Meyer link as well.

GDeep™

League is very weak
I've been thinking the same. There is just no room in our first team for all of him, Özil, and Wilshere, and I think he and Wenger know it. With Jack and Mesut signing on, he's the odd one out.

This would explain the Meyer link as well.
Don’t forget Jack is damaged goods, Wenger isn’t shipping out Ramsey.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom