• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Jefferson Farfán

MDGoonah41

Established Member
Schalke are ready to offer Arsenal the chance to swap Andrey Arshavin for Jefferson Farfan.
According to reports in Germany, the Bundesliga side are desperate not to lose Farfan for nothing when his contract expires at the end of the season - and he is unlikely to sign a new deal.
But Schalke will not sell the Peruvian forward, 27, in January unless they can secure a replacement.
And it is understood that they have set their sights on Arshavin, Arsenal's record signing, who has become a bit-part player at The Emirates.
It has been reported that Schalke are hoping to solve their Farfan dilemma by offering Arsenal a straight swap for Arshavin.
The Gunners want around £15m for the 30-year-old which is around what Schalke would want for Farfan, considering his contract situation.

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.talksport.co.uk/sports-news/football/premier-league/transfer-rumours/1272/21/schalke-offer-farfan-arsenal-midfielder" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.talksport.co.uk/sports-news/ ... midfielder</a>

garbage link, good player though. Not sure I'd value him at 15M with 6 months left on his contract. Then again, Arshavin is pretty much a non-factor for us right now.

Would rather sell Arshavin and Chamakh for 18M combined in January and use that toward buying Gotze or a similar caliber player, but if thats not realistic, we could do worse than bringing in a player like Farfan.

truth_hurts

but Holding’s hair transplant was painless
Re: Jefferson Farfan

MDGoonah41 said:
Schalke are ready to offer Arsenal the chance to swap Andrey Arshavin for Jefferson Farfan.
According to reports in Germany, the Bundesliga side are desperate not to lose Farfan for nothing when his contract expires at the end of the season - and he is unlikely to sign a new deal.
But Schalke will not sell the Peruvian forward, 27, in January unless they can secure a replacement.
And it is understood that they have set their sights on Arshavin, Arsenal's record signing, who has become a bit-part player at The Emirates.
It has been reported that Schalke are hoping to solve their Farfan dilemma by offering Arsenal a straight swap for Arshavin.
The Gunners want around £15m for the 30-year-old which is around what Schalke would want for Farfan, considering his contract situation.

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.talksport.co.uk/sports-news/football/premier-league/transfer-rumours/1272/21/schalke-offer-farfan-arsenal-midfielder" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.talksport.co.uk/sports-news/ ... midfielder</a>" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;?

garbage link, good player though. Not sure I'd value him at 15M with 6 months left on his contract. Then again, Arshavin is pretty much a non-factor for us right now.

Would rather sell Arshavin and Chamakh for 18M combined in January and use that toward buying Gotze or a similar caliber player, but if thats not realistic, we could do worse than bringing in a player like Farfan.

I like Farfan a lot but not at the expense of not getting a player like Gotze. That move would be too Un-Wengerlike if we wanted Farfan we woud surely get him on a free in 6 months time and sell Arshavin?

DJ_Markstar

Based and Artetapilled

Player:Martinelli

Was about to say the same. Wenger has the option of just throwing a pre-contract at Farfan if he wants him, instead of effectively giving Arshavin away for free.

truth_hurts

Farfan, Gervinho, Theo and Chamberlain as wide forward options?? that could be incredible especially if Theo develops into a striker and AOC as an attaking midfielder we'd have a very fluid and pacey front line.

RF: Gervinho, AOC
LF: Farfan, Theo
ST: RVP, Park, Theo
AM: Wilshere, Ramsey, AOC

Farfan on a free would be incredible to be honest.

Armor for Sleep

Established Member

Good player, definitely a great signing on a free for whoever takes him. I want a top class winger though, not sure if its this guy. Also at this stage its highly unlikely they will get any money for him (certainly not 15m), reckon he'll be off on a free next summer.

Can he play up front on his own?

Dokaka

AM's resident Hammer

Armor for Sleep said:

Certainly depends on the system.

In your current system, probably not. But I actually could see him fit in quite well behind RVP, as a pacy AM/Second Striker. He's a pretty good finisher.

DJ_Markstar

Based and Artetapilled

Dokaka said:
Armor for Sleep said:

Certainly depends on the system.

In your current system, probably not. But I actually could see him fit in quite well behind RVP, as a pacy AM/Second Striker. He's a pretty good finisher.

'grats on the promotion

truth_hurts

Vela said:
No thanks we can do much better.

This kind of attitude to players often baffles me. Is Farfan significantly worse if even at all than the likes of Valencia, Park, Johnson, Milner, Sturridge, Malouda/Kalou, Dos Santos as a /wide forward? if not then question why all of the above start games fairly frequently for rival teams of ours? Is he even any worse of a player than Pedro at Barcelona?

Farfan is a very dangerous forward player and amazing potentially for free. Now I agree there may be players we would rather see here but i'm amazed people are turning there noses up at him.

Vela

Established Member

So you want Farfan to replace Arshavin as our third choice forward behind Gervinho and Walcott? Wouldn't it be better if we signed Reus who would add competition to Gervinho and Walcott. Then their places are not guaranteed.

truth_hurts

Vela said:
So you want Farfan to replace Arshavin as our third choice forward behind Gervinho and Walcott? Wouldn't it be better if we signed Reus who would add competition to Gervinho and Walcott. Then their places are not guaranteed.

Farfan isn't no amateur, he has Champions league experience and is a very good wide man. Haven't seen much of Reus but he does seem a talent however I think AOC will be a young player. putting pressure on Theo and Gerv soon enough. Farfan is older than all of our current options and a FREE transfer. Not saying Farfan would be my first choice but he would be far from a terrible choice.

Dokaka

AM's resident Hammer

Vela said:

Saying Farfan would be 3rd choice behind both Gervinho AND Walcott is perhaps overrating your options a bit.

Farfan is much, MUCH better at producing something in tight areas ie. teams like Stoke, Blackburn etc. that close up shop than Walcott is.

It never fails. Walcott always impresses me against teams playing a high line, but removes all my personal hype for him when he plays against the opposite. Having someone like Farfan in a sitation like that would be an upgrade.

And on a free, I can't see a better deal in.. well, world football right now.

redwhiteAustrian

Tu Felix Austria
Administrator

Think we can make a swap deal Farfan/Arshavin in January.
Schalke's sponsor Gazprom will surely have a word to say in it.

DJ_Markstar

Based and Artetapilled

redwhiteAustrian said:
Think we can make a swap deal Farfan/Arshavin in January.
Schalke's sponsor Gazprom will surely have a word to say in it.

The point is...

We'd effectively be giving Shava away for free instead of getting a transfer fee for him if we did that. Wenger would rather give Farfan a pre-contract, then in the summer get him on a free and sell Shava. Much better business sense.

fabo

6.51 / 10

Farfan would be the type of player I could see us buying, wouldn't upset the apple cart too much, plenty of games for Wenger's projects.

redwhiteAustrian

Tu Felix Austria
Administrator

DJ_Markstar said:
The point is...

We'd effectively be giving Shava away for free instead of getting a transfer fee for him if we did that. Wenger would rather give Farfan a pre-contract, then in the summer get him on a free and sell Shava. Much better business sense.

I don't care about business to be honest, and we're not in a position to look after the best possible deal, financially.
It's about getting players in who can contribute immediately, offer some depth and suit our system.

A potential swap deal would surely include some extra payments from Schalke anyway. Swapping Farfan who's just entered the last six months of his contract for Arshavin without extra payments would be mental anyway, so I'm sure we'll get some cash as well.
Farfan + 5 Mill or something else.

Btw, he's apparently returned injured from international duty, something with his left knee.
Don't know yet, how long he'll be out for.

mavelous

Tinfoil hat aficionado

Dokaka said:
Vela said:

Saying Farfan would be 3rd choice behind both Gervinho AND Walcott is perhaps overrating your options a bit.

Farfan is much, MUCH better at producing something in tight areas ie. teams like Stoke, Blackburn etc. that close up shop than Walcott is.

It never fails. Walcott always impresses me against teams playing a high line, but removes all my personal hype for him when he plays against the opposite. Having someone like Farfan in a sitation like that would be an upgrade.

And on a free, I can't see a better deal in.. well, world football right now.

Excellent point that is. Some things like that get overlooked, and especially now that we rely even more on output from the wingers, we could use some versatility and variety up front. If Arshavin's contract is up this summer, it'd make sense to swap the two players, but i think he's here until the end of 2012, 4 years from Jan 09. If we manage to win the race for his signature this winter, it won't require adding arshavin as makeweight, who could generate straight cash from the riches of Russia.

I'd still like to hear more about the player, obviously we need good finishers but Walcott is that. he just doesn't have the pedigree for trickery and unpredictability in the box. Players like Ibra and Cassano have the goals, AND cause havoc in opponent's penalty area. Besides Gervinho, we could use some more.

If our options for the 2 wide positions are Theo, Gerv, Benayoun, Arshavin and AOC, i'd be worried. There's 45-55 games each season, including UCL group stage and the first rounds of the cups at the least. for 3-4 starting wingers, that's still 30-40 games. More than enough, and not that wasteful.

Arsenal Quotes

Nobody has enough talent to live on talent alone. Even when you have talent, a life without work goes nowhere

Arsène Wenger

Latest posts

Top Bottom