• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Jens Lehmann...

fuzz

Last season i became nervous everytime the ball was backpassed to him, but so far this season he seems to be more assured. One thing about Jens is that he has confidence in himself. Despite all teh criticism he stil believes he is good and can do the job and that gives me convidence.

His first real test will come against PSV on the 14th. That match should be interesting indicator as we may not have as much possesion as we seem to have in EPL matches and Jens will be forced to make more save and concentrate more.

A

Anonymous

The Boro goal was not a ****-up. He expected a cross, and would have caught it (like all the other crosses that he catches), but that shot was incredible and caught him by surprise. That´s the price you pay for a keeper that actually goes for crosses.
Sorry, but im pretty sure that is a **** up, pre judging a ball wrongly and costing you a goal is a **** up, how can it not be.
For the huckerby thing, if huckerby was through then he should come out, but lauren was with him battling 50/50, rushing out in that situation is needless and causes **** ups, as it did again chelsea last year in the CL.
I wasnt refering to that cross that went out, i was referring to one that sticks out in my mind from a corner, he rushed out, into a pack of 5-6 palyers, got nowhere near the ball, fell on his arse about 8 yards out, ball went to the back of the box, had their been and attacker there it would of been a goal. Fair enough if he comes out thats good, but a good keeper doesnt come out for every single ball, only the ones he can gather safely. If you are happy with your keeper coming charging out and gathering 7 out of 10 then thats fair enough. I prefer the safe route.

KingReyes

Established Member
I think Lehmann is one of the best in the premiership. We forget we went unbeaten last season and in a few gamesit wa thanks to Jens we stayed in those matches. Man City away, Newcastle away, Pompey away are a few.

If he can control his temper and focus fully on his game he will be a much better keeper.

Aussie

Established Member
He had a good game against Sp**s as well last season as well. Well at home against them anyway. He had a bit to do as Lauren kept ****ing up.

For me

The jury is still out.

patrick42uk

Established Member
lehmann is a solid premeirship keeper who only cocks up in games of huge significance. that was last season. this season, he has shown the same consistency (except for a couple of near post goals) in the prem but we are yet to play a big game or team. wenger stuck with him, so we should trust him. although he has made mistakes in judgement in the past. alumnia looked good pre-season aand i have a feeling he could do a job if called upon.

A

Anonymous

Still cant see how you can all say how amazing he is after viewing all them **** ups. BUT i always give a player a chance for the new season, so fars hes done ok, if i stop analysing his poor kicks and miss grabs when coming for crosses and also take the **** up against boro as just a fluke goal and also ignore that he should of prevented the goal against everton. Forgetting all them and leaving last season behind, i will give him a new chance. Starting from this week i shall see how he does, clean slate.

Sammer

Established Member
theguvnor said:
Still cant see how you can all say how amazing he is after viewing all them f**k ups. BUT i always give a player a chance for the new season, .

The fact that you rate his performance yesterday as suspect and crap, doesn´t really make your statement very credible.

You can always critizise players when they dont perform well, but your attempt to display Jens´ performance yesterday as crap, says it all.

Spike

Established Member
He's great, good at shot stopping, and he's improving.

He's temperament has improved, probably a few words from Wenger.

The communication between him and the back 4 is good, does Almunia speak English? If not, him and our defenders might not communicate well in set pieces like corners or freekicks etc.

KoLo28

Never lost a game in the epl when he's been keeping.. sure you can give the credit to the rest of the team, our attacking flair and good defending but really that's an amazing effort.

As for comparing him to the likes of Niemi, how much do you watch him? How many goals does he concede compared to Lehmann? How many high pressure matches does he play in e.g. cl games? Clearly he's got a weaker defence infront of him but Jens' form in the epl is brilliant, you just wonder how niemi and other keepers from the epl would do in the high pressure situation of the champions league?

It really is a matter of personal opinion and guvnor you work with keepers dont you? so im sure your expectations are higher than most and you'd probably have more knowledge than me on goal keeping.

PolishGooner

DOls said:
NO.
Lehman is a perfect keeper for us.
He seems to have good understanding with the defence and the rest of the team.
He just fits the team.
Even today against Norwich he made sure we keep our precious three points in tact.

hahaha.gif

DOls

PolishGooner said:
DOls said:
NO.
Lehman is a perfect keeper for us.
He seems to have good understanding with the defence and the rest of the team.
He just fits the team.
Even today against Norwich he made sure we keep our precious three points in tact.

hahaha.gif

what's that supposed to mean

rachael-8

ive always supported lehmann,and i always will
i think hes a great goalie,and he is now alot calmer than last year.

A

Anonymous

lehman is a great goalie
only goalie i would want rather than him is buffon

gunner in dubai

The mail is saying we have put a 6miln bid for Kirkland!! is this true?anyone heard it? i wonder why though!?? Lehmann can go on for another 7 years hopefully !!!

johe

Lehmann's a very good goalkeeper in my opinion, and that he cocked up in a few big games last year is nothing new to goalkeepers. I mean look at Kahn who made a huge blunder against Real Madrid in the CL. Don't get me wrong, I was angry as hell with him when he made those blunders. However I think there's nothing wrong with giving him a new chance. Any player is as good as his current form, and if he is good for many games, I don't have any bad feelings against him for putting us out of the CL last season.

Anyways, I think Almunia should be given a chance in the FA-Cup and if he plays well he might even get a go in the Premiership. Competition between goalkeepers is good.

Spike

Established Member
gunner in dubai said:
The mail is saying we have put a 6miln bid for Kirkland!! is this true?anyone heard it? i wonder why though!?? Lehmann can go on for another 7 years hopefully !!!

Probably rubbish. We already have two back-up goalies, Almunia and Taylor.

A

Anonymous

My biggest problem with Lehmann was the way he would react to any sort of contact what so ever.
Games at Everton, Southampton and Bolton come to mind, aswell as the semi against the mancs. In these games, his actions angered the support of the other team, who had been virtually silent before (mancs aside).

The increased support other teams got lead to us being put under pressure and a general change in the atmosphere - all down to Lehmanns actions. At Everton and Bolton this resulted in us drawing games we were winning.

So far this season he has not reacted to the physical contact. When he was fouled yesterday I feared the worse, but all credit to him he just got on with the game.

I still dont have the same confidence in him I had in Seaman, as I feel he is always prone to make a huge mistake. But on the whole he is a very good technical keeper with a great deal of experience who doesnt miss games.

Sammer

Established Member
Sol said:
So far this season he has not reacted to the physical contact. When he was fouled yesterday I feared the worse, but all credit to him he just got on with the game.

I still dont have the same confidence in him I had in Seaman, as I feel he is always prone to make a huge mistake. But on the whole he is a very good technical keeper with a great deal of experience who doesnt miss games.

Fair statement Sol, you have been one of Lehmanns biggest critics on this forum, but credit to you about seeing how calm he was yesterday when getting knocked over.

One thing though: did you really have confidence in Seaman in the last 2-3 seasons? I sure as hell didn´t.

Top Bottom