• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Jens Lehmann...

Adam

Established Member
I have never seen as big as selective vision as i have with Jens when it comes to goalkeeping error.

There is no technical faulting this man.

It is only mentality, which can affect his focus and the teams, and get him into trouble. But, as always - what makes a player is what makes him - he is 34 now; and you are not going to a change a player at that age - even if you are Arsène! Part of his mentality, in effect - is part of his ability. It does have it's positives - he uses his excitement and enjoyment of the Prem to stay focussed during games which he would of got bored of in Germany. He is all action - and because of this he does not lose focus during games untill he boils over in the heat of the moment. Luckily, these moments are limited.

Jose_Reyes_2005

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
Lehmann has never lost a game for arsenal in more than 40 matches - not to mention he was the keeper that conceded the least amount of goals in the premiership last season - so he obviously sucks, get rid of him. :?

fuzz

The argument that we "didn't lose a game" or "conceded less goals than anyone last season" are down manyly to one man Kolo Toure. It was his partneship with Sol that solidifies our defense and that couple with our attacking play left Lehman with little to do. It wasn' t necessarily Lehamns keeping.

Like i said though he does seem more secure this season so far atleast.

Loylz

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
fuzz said:
The argument that we "didn't lose a game" or "conceded less goals than anyone last season" are down manyly to one man Kolo Toure. It was his partneship with Sol that solidifies our defense and that couple with our attacking play left Lehman with little to do. It wasn' t necessarily Lehamns keeping.

Like i said though he does seem more secure this season so far atleast.
How you can say it is down to Toure is beyond me. No doubting Toure's talent, infact I don't think there is anyone on here who rates him higher than me, butAre you forgetting the countless saves he has done for us, including Pompey and Fulham. Not to mention the number of crosses he picks out of the air. He stops countless goals before they happen. I rate Lehmann. He may make mistakes, but that comes with his style of play. If he stopped playing like that who knows how many goals we might concede.

Sigun

he has undoubtly made a big contribution to arsenals non-defeat record, where other keepers may have failed.

_scorpion_

Established Member
The only player I'd swap him for is Buffon.....I think he is exactly what we need in goal....he commands the square and is not afraid to come out.

Lehmann is the best Keeper in the EPL without a doubt.....i wouldnt trade him for anyone in th premiership.

Serip

I think he's fantastic and will be even better this season now that he seems to be controlling his temper. Hopefully we'll have a good replacement for him in a couple of years time.

Canuck

Established Member
I don't know if he is the best keeper in the EPL, and I know he isn't the best in Europe. But he's what we've got and he does a good job. I'm interested to see how Petr Cech does at Chelsea since they were so stoked to pick him up.

Sammer

Established Member
Lehmann is not a flashy keeper due to his physique and positioning (other, smaller keepers often look very spectacular when performing ordinary saves...you know what I mean).

He is an integral part of Arsenal defensive play, sweeping and averting dangerous situations by excellent positioning. There are not many keepers out there that have that tactical understanding of the game.

Aussie

Established Member
Sammer said:
Lehmann is not a flashy keeper due to his physique and positioning (other, smaller keepers often look very spectacular when performing ordinary saves...you know what I mean).

A good eg of that is Dudek. I often see him make what looks like a amazing save however looking at it a second time its really just an ordinary save made to look great. And we all know he is prone to ****ing up even worse than Jens.

Sammer

Established Member
Aussie said:
Sammer said:

A good eg of that is Dudek. I often see him make what looks like a amazing save however looking at it a second time its really just an ordinary save made to look great. And we all know he is prone to f****g up even worse than Jens.

I am not going to comment on your last sentence, Aussie :wink:

But you are right: Dudek immediately pops into my mind when talking about keepers that love to make silly catches look spectacular.

Aussie

Established Member
I thought you might Sammer and i thought about editing it but i couldnt be stuffed. I didnt really mean it and really so far im happy with Jens but there are always things that make me lose confidence in him. However i am happy to support him as it looks like Wenger does. And lets face it. He knows more than me, well just.

fuzz

Canuck said:
I don't know if he is the best keeper in the EPL, and I know he isn't the best in Europe. But he's what we've got and he does a good job. I'm interested to see how Petr Cech does at Chelsea since they were so stoked to pick him up.

Petr Cech is the most overrated keepers around in my opinion. Did anyone see him in the Euros? When Chelski purchased himit just proved they had more money than sense. Why do you need a new keeper when they've got Cudicini who is awesome?

Jazzeron

fuzz said:
Petr Cech is the most overrated keepers around in my opinion. Did anyone see him in the Euros? When Chelski purchased himit just proved they had more money than sense. Why do you need a new keeper when they've got Cudicini who is awesome?
Cudicini is average. Chech is perhaps the best young goalkeeper in Europe around.I can understand that purchase.Thats my opinion.

Senght

Cuducini in my opinion, is the best keeper in the EPL last season regardless of his blunder against us. Very consistent performer.

TRUE GUNNER

If people were to judge him on his overall performances and not just the 5 or so mistakes he made then you will see just how brilliant he has been, to replace the great dave seaman the way he has has been wonderful

A

Anonymous

Yesterday he did well,
Sammer, seing you have a distinct inability to read my posts correctly, and a fetish for putting words in my mouth, that is what i said in my original post. The only criticism i had was his few catches he screwed up. Try the 33rd minute, norwich corner, and you will see what im talking about. But, as i have quoted myself, against norwich he did well. But you can keep believing that i said he was poor.

Aussie

Established Member
TRUE GUNNER said:
If people were to judge him on his overall performances and not just the 5 or so mistakes he made then you will see just how brilliant he has been, to replace the great dave seaman the way he has has been wonderful

Well duh

A

Anonymous

As for comparing him to the likes of Niemi, how much do you watch him? How many goals does he concede compared to Lehmann? How many high pressure matches does he play in e.g. cl games? Clearly he's got a weaker defence infront of him but Jens' form in the epl is brilliant, you just wonder how niemi and other keepers from the epl would do in the high pressure situation of the champions league?
Id say niemi would perform in the high pressure situations in the CL worse than lehmann, i mean, lehman is so brilliant he only cost us 3 goals through the worst mistakes i have seen in a while :wink: :roll:
Niemi is better than lehmann end of. How you can still say he saves us alot of goals after the mistakes he has made is beyond me. I really dont think most of you actually study his game or the other better keepers around. Think you will find most knowledgable pundits saying lehmann isnt that great. He will do for now, not if we want to go through a long season winning everything, he will **** up again.

ozgooner

we have not lost an epl game with him in goal :!: just on that comment alone would have to prove how good he is :!: and yes i know he has the best defensive line going around in front of him :!:

Latest posts

Top Bottom