• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Jesús Navas

blaze_of_glory

Re: jesus navas

GDeep said:
This section of the forum is a waste of time atm, no credible links/heat on transfers - which has lead to wish listing, squad analysis etc.

Its true, doesn't seem like much is going on at the moment (unless we're doing some very covert business). I think if anyone comes in it will be late in the window, so maybe we'll start to see some decent links next week.

outlaw_member

Established Member

Therapy Inc said:
Theo had 9 goals, 9 assists last year. The guy can dribble but he still lacks decision making. When he played as an AM, it really stood out how inefficient he was as controlling tempo and possession.

I do think Oxlade-Chamberlain has 'more in his locker.' I am not disputing that but Theo is a better player on the field right now. He's older, more composed, knows what to do, played well in big games, won't get over amped for a game. It's experience that Ox just does not have.

This is the reason Arsenal doesn't win the league. We think that talent will always triumph over experience. We always sign 'quality' and nothing else seems to matter. There are some players who don't have quality but seem to get it done. That's experience.

It's consistency more-so than experience. Older players are consistent over the course of the season, whilst younger players tend to fluctuate greatly in respect to their performances. That's why you are right about quality not being the most dominant factor when assessing potential players. This is something that is routinely ignored by our fans and management when the next hot kid appears on the scene.

FinnGooner

Established Member

kalleTheMan said:
Jesus to Arsenal, Moses to Chelsea, Judas to Manure

applause.gif

Therapy Inc

I don't think Dokaka said anything about Oxlade-Chamberlain being overrated. He used the word over-hyped.

I don't think anyone is intimating that he is overrated. He has a tremendous amount of quality. He's young and experienced and much more prone to losing the ball. I just wouldn't trust him against any of the top teams at this very moment. If he plays 5 games and gains more composure that could change.

Airknight

Established Member

A chunk of those arguments come from Dok overrating Theo himself, so not looking much into that.

Theo decision making might be better, but we need someone who doesn't decides to hide behind the FB for most of the time, on most of the matches.

MDGoonah41

Established Member

im apologizing in advance, because this post probably doesnt belong here, but i dont know where it belongs. i guess its kind of related to the walcott thing.

im of the belief that professional footballers playing in the top division in england, and those in the top division in france, italy, spain, germany and maybe even the netherlands, are all similar. to play for a club in the first division, you have to at least be a credible footballer. and if you were to take a lot of the players that we call crap and put them in the 2nd division, they'd look like ronaldo or messi.

but what separates the good players, the 1% of all professionals at all levels, from the .01%, the elite, is awareness, composure, and football intelligence. what wenger has tried to do, to play a system where 6 mids/forwards can interchange and express themselves, is very ambitious and commendable. however, his execution of this has been poor. to play a free flowing, non-constricted formation like he wants to play, you need 6 intelligent footballers. you need players who understand what to do when they have the ball, when they don't have the ball, and what their teammate is going to do when he has the ball, and when he doesn't have the ball. we have one player like that in the squad right now, and that is arteta. cazorla looks to be cut from the same cloth, but we need to see.

when you compare the style of football we're trying to play to a team like united, there is no comparison. united's system is very rigid. players are given very narrow, defined roles (except rooney, who is free to wander) and if the player doesn't execute in his role, he's moved on and replaced by someone who will. for man united players, they are drilled what to do when they dont have the ball, where to run, when to shoot and when to pass. its a blunt, straightforward system. red nose buys players who he can slot in to the given role and he drills them on what to do, and they do it.

our system is completely different. wenger gives players liberties, he encourages them to "express themselves" on the pitch. which is great, when the player also has the understanding and awareness to know how his action with or without the ball will impact his teammates. when you don't have that, the system won't work.

now, compare arsenal today to arsenal of 10 years ago. those teams, which reached the highest of highs, were littered with intelligent footballers. you didn't have to tell henry or ljungberg or paddy v or pires or bergkamp where to go when they had the ball or when they didn't have the ball. you could trust them, because they were intelligent players who were composed on the ball and knew how to react to time and space. the current squad couldn't be any more different. song, a player who caused much debate, was as tactically naive as i've seen in the squad. it doesn't matter whether wenger told him to sit deep or push forward, there is a time and place to do both, and he never seemed to know what to do. countless times vermaelen would make a charging run forward, and song would not cover the back door, leaving huge amounts of space open for teams to counterattack. would vieira have done the same? when walcott runs on to the end of a long diagonal, how many times does he look up for his teammates before he gets the ball, compose himself, and then make the right decision? 7 of 10 times he lashes at the ball, takes a clumsy touch, or lets the move break down all together. its not necessarily his fault. he is not a total football modeled player. if you took him and dropped him in to united's squad and he was told to do what ashley young does, he'd probably be more productive as a player. he wouldn't have to think, he wouldn't have to express himself, he'd know exactly what he was supposed to do.

wenger's aspirations and dreams of total football are lovely. but if he isn't going to bring in the players capable of playing the system, then he needs to find a more realistic system to implement. you can analyze a player's physical abilities and look at how they perform in their current teams, but i think to succeed at arsenal, using the system we're struggling now to play, a player's intelligence and vision are far more important than how fast he is or how refined his shooting boots are.

i dont even know what i put this here. whatever, im not moving it. bye

outlaw_member

Established Member

As is also being discussed in the Sahin thread, it's been quite obvious for some time that Wenger is attempting a type of game which is simply beyond the capabilities of most of our players. The last time we had the right players was in 07/08, a team in which someone of Adebayor's ability stuck out as an obvious weak link. Yet, he's comfortably more intelligent and technical than some of our current squadron.

HeinrichII

If UK has the Dailymail, Spain has AS.

Full of made up stories, plus Navas suffers from homesickness, won't happen, really great player though.

Dwangoon

Jesus > Moses

lol..

There are other equally good or better investment in La Liga alone, and many clubs need a "bail out" - Isco, Adrian Lopez, Herrera, Muniain.

Spanish players seem to do well at Arsenal too.

wishful_llama

Dwangoon said:
Jesus > Moses

lol..

There are other equally good or better investment in La Liga alone, and many clubs need a "bail out" - Isco, Adrian Lopez, Herrera, Muniain.

I can only think of one...

musicmonkey

Established Member

wishful_llama said:
Dwangoon said:
Jesus > Moses

lol..

I can only think of one...
Think you've forgotten Arteta and possibly Cazorla on top of who you're probably thinking of in Cesc.

wishful_llama

Imo Arteta is great squad depth material but not good enough to be starting week in week out for a team that plans to win something meaningful and Cazorla has played one game so it's far too early to pass judgement (though I do have incredibly high hopes!). Fabregas though was unbelievably good and the only player we've had post invincibles who would of got into the 03/04 first XI

mavelous

Tinfoil hat aficionado
Re: Jesus Navas

we need some transfer engineering, seeing as we're the footballing pioneers. expensive-ish loan deal, a disguised trial with little long-term risk.

Anzac

Established Member

@ MDGoonah41

Agreed - been saying it for years that AW NEEDS mature players who know their game for his tactics to succeed.

DontPushMe

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.talksport.co.uk/sports-news/football/premier-league/transfer-rumours/121017/arsenal-and-tottenham-target-sevilla-pair-183294" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.talksport.co.uk/sports-news/ ... air-183294</a>

This guy would be an absolutely perfect fit here. Would extend our spanish flair down the right wing. I'm sure its a long shot, but it makes too much sense for it not to happen. Our weak spot right now is RW. AOC isn't ready, Gervinho plays better central, and Theo isnt getting it done (and is probably gone)

If we could pull off selling Theo and buying Navas that would really be perfect.

Taylor Gang Gunners

Say Yeh or You're Making The List
Trusted ⭐

Why the fxck are Tottenham in for every player we are?

tumblr_lzyqzr7f7c1qaznnlo1_500.png

You delusional scumbags.

But yeah would love one of Navas or Isco here, both would fit the bill perfectly and compliment what we have well. Plus, particularly in the case of Navas, young Ox may pick up a move or two, which will serve him well in the future.

Hope this rumour has legs.

Top Bottom