• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Joe Willock: 2019/2020 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pop Tart

Established Member
I've nothing against Willock, Eddie, Nelson etc, they may yet carve out good careers. But two things are certain. 1) They're far from the finished article yet 2) Can't see them currently playing for any other team in the top half of the prem.
At least they are getting game time in the pl a fair bit this season. I agree with the three mentiond. Not done anything concrete

akhil

We've had a car crash of a season. There's not a lot of seniors in the team who should be playing in a top 10 team based on their past years form.

The minutes the youngsters have gotten has been the only positive from this season. Just sucks they have to learn from some of these idiots.

Trilly

Hates A-M, Saka, Arteta and You
Trusted ⭐

I've nothing against Willock, Eddie, Nelson etc, they may yet carve out good careers. But two things are certain. 1) They're far from the finished article yet 2) Can't see them currently playing for any other team in the top half of the prem.
Cold hard truth. People need to pick between Hale end or finishing in CL positions again.

The top teams have had to make tough decisions And loan out/sell/bench many top talents because you can only afford to play the elite ones at the level we’re aiming for. It’s just how it is, the academy system is similar to a lottery really.

Garrincha

Wilf Zaha Aficionado
Trusted ⭐
Feels like a missed opportunity unless he turns up next weekend. You have to make an impact.

The midfield this season has seen captains going awol, mysterious injuries, players out of favour & the competing youth ostracised. Universe not going to give you that often.

Hunta

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Like Nelson and Nketiah he could do with a loan playing every week. Our situation in midfield doesn’t allow it though, not with Guendouzi and Torreira both likely to leave.

Yousif Arsenal

On Vinai's payroll & misses 4th place trophy 🏆
Trusted ⭐
As much i love giving youngsters a chance but non of Nektiah Nelson willock done what Saka or Martinelli did to be considered to start games. I hope Nektiah and Willock go on loan specially willock he desperately need a loan to kick on just like ESR.

Kysus

Nketiah and Nelson are knocking on the door and are contributing and I can see them exploding soon, Willock otoh needs a loan as he offers us NOTHING right now(which is a little bit more than Torreira tbf)
You never know with youngsters but to me Willock seems to be the least likely to make it at the top level tbh

Geofranco

Would let Saka date his daughter

Player:Saka
Willock has some unique attributes. He has a wiry frame, but pretty powerful and has good pace for a midfielder. If he can grow into his body, he'll be very hard to push of the ball.

He also has a knack for getting into dangerous areas in the final third. He has to work on his finishing and general passing ability, but Ramsey struggled with his finishing a lot and was frustrating, but he eventually improved and became a threat from the middle to score goals.

I watched one U-23 game in like 2018 that was played at the Emirates stadium and Willock was a menace on defense. He was getting so many interceptions and winning standing tackles.

He has potential, probably won't be a star, but he can be a very valuable piece to this team in the future.

I think for him to really make it, he needs to dramatically improve his passing, I feel that is the reason all the managers are not comfortable playing him deeper.

He def needs a loan next season, same with Nketiah and Nelson. Although I am tempted to keep Nelson here as a squad player, but really wanna see him explode playing for a lower level EPL team.

yorch44

Commander of the Pelotudo Brigade
Willock has some unique attributes. He has a wiry frame, but pretty powerful and has good pace for a midfielder. If he can grow into his body, he'll be very hard to push of the ball.

He also has a knack for getting into dangerous areas in the final third. He has to work on his finishing and general passing ability, but Ramsey struggled with his finishing a lot and was frustrating, but he eventually improved and became a threat from the middle to score goals.

I watched one U-23 game in like 2018 that was played at the Emirates stadium and Willock was a menace on defense. He was getting so many interceptions and winning standing tackles.

He has potential, probably won't be a star, but he can be a very valuable piece to this team in the future.

I think for him to really make it, he needs to dramatically improve his passing, I feel that is the reason all the managers are not comfortable playing him deeper.

He def needs a loan next season, same with Nketiah and Nelson. Although I am tempted to keep Nelson here as a squad player, but really wanna see him explode playing for a lower level EPL team.
What I don't get is how you play him as cam if he has no passing. Its harder to make passes there than in CM role with more space. If he needs to improve the basic ability for any midfielder then loan him. A big body is useless if you can't pass a single ball.n

akhil

What I don't get is how you play him as cam if he has no passing. Its harder to make passes there than in CM role with more space. If he needs to improve the basic ability for any midfielder then loan him. A big body is useless if you can't pass a single ball.n

It's not that he can't pass. He doesn't move into space to receive the ball in between the lines well. The moment we have the ball he's charging up the pitch to get close to Laca. When he shows for the ball it's for the easy sideways option.
Every time the ball went wide, he's attacking the posts like a striker competing with the CBs when there was a lot of space just inside the box. It's the same issues we had with Ramsey for a long time when he decided to play like an AM.

It's a pity the Guendouzi project turned out like this, a lot of his minutes could have gone to Willock or AMN in midfield. Both of these 2 give so much athleticism in that area.

MikelHadADream

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
He has shown in flashes that he can be a useful player, I really like his nouse in the box and athleticism, but on the whole, he has really looked out of his depth this season.

Think we should try and ship him out and get a decent fee for him. In an ideal world we keep him for another year or so, but we desperately need first 11 quality, especially in CM.

Penn_

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
Is he even better than AMN in midfield? Seems the latter has really been shafted by his versatility.

Is he even better than AMN in midfield? Seems the latter has really been shafted by his versatility.

AMN is better i think and AMN can be used is several places so he is useful as sub while Willock just doesnt seem to know what to do even when he plays in his preferd spot.

Big Poppa

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
It's not that he can't pass. He doesn't move into space to receive the ball in between the lines well. The moment we have the ball he's charging up the pitch to get close to Laca. When he shows for the ball it's for the easy sideways option.
Every time the ball went wide, he's attacking the posts like a striker competing with the CBs when there was a lot of space just inside the box. It's the same issues we had with Ramsey for a long time when he decided to play like an AM.

It's a pity the Guendouzi project turned out like this, a lot of his minutes could have gone to Willock or AMN in midfield. Both of these 2 give so much athleticism in that area.

Agreed. Especially this bit.

Big Poppa

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba

Considering we have the most dribbled past midfield in the league, I'm surprised this wasn't brought up sooner. Unfortunately he seems to have lost some confidence since being used solely to press in attack. Even on the right wing at times.

Like AMN, there's a player in there but he needs consistent game time and agree he'd benefit from a loan next season - ideally with a good passing team like Leeds.

Coolin

Doesn't appreciate the mighty Nacho
Safe to say he’s nothing special. He’s a decent dribbler, which I’m sure makes him stand out in training. But that’s his only strength. His decision-making is suspect and he doesn’t spot through-balls quick enough, which often leads to an extra touch and a chance lost.

His weight of pass is also off. They’re either too hard, too short or generally not angled correctly. As a CM, these are glaring weaknesses.

Trilly

Hates A-M, Saka, Arteta and You
Trusted ⭐

The thing that scares me the most is his decision-making, it's way off and I'm taking the fact he's a young player into account when I say that. Reiss, ESR and Saka have all shown much better decision making imo.

I'd lean towards sell with a buy-back clause rather than a loan. I believe in his potential but its the type that will take a few years to nurture, if at all. I'd like ESR to have his minutes next season. You can't say we haven't given Willock a fair crack at establishing himself, its our weakest midfield in years as well.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom