• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Joe Willock: 2019/2020 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.

nick gould

Play him in a deeper position please. I would like to see him as a box to box midfielder making late runs into the box, creating overloads.

Aevi

Hale End FC
So basically, as a consensus, we agree that we need a CM with vision of fabregas, passing range of pirlo, iniesta like dribbling, and who dominates the area like xavi. All rolled into one.

Other than that they are all crap :D
Too weak, lacks Makelele's defensive abilities.

OmegaOs

When Xhaka isn’t costing us games he’s useful.

Pikachu boy mentioned it in a tongue in cheek way but you can’t walk in and just complete 70+ passes in a PL game without having something about you. He keeps us ticking over, it’s other problems that he has.
The number of passes is not something scream about. There are midfielders like Elneny, Cleverley, and Denilson who racked up high volume of passes but barely progressed play. Xhaka really doesn't have anything about him. He's just a bit more ambitious with his but that's about it.

Trilly

Hates A-M, Saka, Arteta and You
Trusted ⭐

The number of passes is not something scream about. There are midfielders like Elneny, Cleverley, and Denilson who racked up high volume of passes but barely progressed play. Xhaka really doesn't have anything about him. He's just a bit more ambitious with his but that's about it.
Speaking objectively Xhaka is a level above all those guys.

Tir Na Nog

Changes Opinion Every 5 Minutes

I seen people crying about his lack of passes failing to understand what Emery wanted from Willock in that role. His job was to press, to run at defenders with the ball and to draw defenders to create room for Nelson and Mkhitaryan. He was asked to a similar role to the one which Ramsey did when he was deployed in the same position. I personally thought he did fairly well. Believe me, he wasn't asked to dictate play or anything like that.

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
I seen people crying about his lack of passes failing to understand what Emery wanted from Willock in that role. His job was to press, to run at defenders with the ball and to draw defenders to create room for Nelson and Mkhitaryan. He was asked to a similar role to the one which Ramsey did when he was deployed in the same position. I personally thought he did fairly well. Believe me, he wasn't asked to dictate play or anything like that.
I think this would have worked a bit better with a different midfield pairing behind them. I think Willock and Guendouzi had pretty decent individual performances, and Xhaka was OK aswell, but as a collective there was a little too much disconnect. The issue is that Xhaka and Guendouzi are a tad too similar while Willock was very high up the pitch and not able to use his ability to carry the ball or operate just ahead in the same way. Emery's hands were somewhat tied as Özil couldn't play, and Xhaka/Guendouzi were the two fittest midfielders though.

I think Willock was just fine, he obviously wasn't as effective as he could have been IMO, but he did a good job using his physical presence in that area of the pitch.

ArtetaCognition

Granit Xhaka Enthusiast

Tweeted before the game that he was an 8 and not a 10. Think that prediction came to fruition. He played the 10 against Lyon also and wasn't able to be at his best.

As a #8, I think Willock has all the tools to be a legend of the club. This lad could be the real deal for me.

Big Poppa

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
Tweeted before the game that he was an 8 and not a 10. Think that prediction came to fruition. He played the 10 against Lyon also and wasn't able to be at his best.

As a #8, I think Willock has all the tools to be a legend of the club. This lad could be the real deal for me.

Same. He is also strong enough to win duels without needing to gain fouls. Sounds minor but it’s a quality we desperately lack, and particularly important in the area just ahead of defence. It helps both defence and attack.

Last edited:

BigPoppaPump

Reeling from Laca & Kos nightmares
So basically, as a consensus, we agree that we need a CM with vision of fabregas, passing range of pirlo, iniesta like dribbling, and who dominates the area like xavi. All rolled into one.

Other than that they are all crap :D

They need Viera's body too.

Sapient Hawk

Can You Smell What The Hawk Is Cooking?
Trusted ⭐

His determination in chasing down Shelvey after being caught in possession & recovering the ball epitomizes what we've been lacking all these years, tenacity & single minded application with one goal in mind.

With a guiding hand, he'll go on to be a success here regardless where he plays in the middle of the pitch.

Trilly

Hates A-M, Saka, Arteta and You
Trusted ⭐

Got to be number 8 for me, or even deeper. Players like him who can carry the ball through the midfield are rare and can destroy defensive plans.

I think it’s why we see guys like Pogba and KDB play deeper despite their clear attacking talent, City and United both scored goals last weekend that wouldn’t have been possible without their ball carrying from deep.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts+

Top Bottom