• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Joe Willock: Joening the First Team

Status
Not open for further replies.

VancouverCanuck

Clearly out of his depth today. Iirc, he was bully off the ball a few times and looked timid. And the missed chance, the less said he better.

However, there is no way I write him off based on this performance, given that he is only 18 and making his debut.

krackpot

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
very happy for him. very happy for our team to have so many potential first team players.

Hope he gets more chances this season.

Rex Stone

Long live the fighters
Trusted ⭐

Well from those couple of last years
Nicklas Bendtner(was actually decent from young age) look where he is now
Carlos alberto Vela was starting at 17 for us
Fabregas elite player at 17
Wilshere very good player at 16-17
Alex song playing in the championship at 17
Abou diaby playing for us at 17 and holding his own
Keiran gibbs playing for us at 17 and holding his own

Even guys like Frimpong bossed it against relegation fodder for us at 18. These guys are not good enough to start for us and probably never will be.

We stopped buying the best youngsters some time ago and we are so behind other teams.
We simply do not have a player under23 who is really really exciting(Bellerin being the exception). All our best player are close to 30 or over and that represent bad value for a club like us.

One thing I envy Sp**s with is how they give young players lots of chances.

I thought the likes of Kane and Alli were pure trash before they exploded on the scene. Kane especially was close to getting shipped out.

You have to stick with these guys all the way through. Not like we’re smashing it with the players we’re bringing in either.

El Duderino

That's, like, your opinion, man.
One thing I envy Sp**s with is how they give young players lots of chances.

I thought the likes of Kane and Alli were pure trash before they exploded on the scene. Kane especially was close to getting shipped out.

You have to stick with these guys all the way through. Not like we’re smashing it with the players we’re bringing in either.

Sacking needed not withstanding, funny how Wenger is being berated for not doing exactly what he once did and got berated for.

He lost it in tactics, but the part about having to give young players chances with full knowledge that they'll cost you points is spot on by Big Weng.

scytheavatar

Established Member
Clearly out of his depth today. Iirc, he was bully off the ball a few times and looked timid. And the missed chance, the less said he better.

However, there is no way I write him off based on this performance, given that he is only 18 and making his debut.

He reminds me way too much of Denilson, especially the easy to bully of the ball and looking timid. This contrasts with someone like Elneny who isn't the most talented player but never is timid on the pitch. I am still yet to see what Willock does well that makes it worth it to invest in him.

mavelous

Tinfoil hat aficionado
Would've liked for him to play deeper, alongside Elneny or a Coquelin type (Xhaka's lack of mobility discouraging to double them up as CM duo).

But of course we don't have the back 5 or any sort of a collective defensive effort to be able to expose an 18 year old at such a crucial position. he got crowded out too easily high up, and his decision making suffered.

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
I thought he did OK in the first half then drifted out of the game as it got more competitive. This has been a feature in his maiden season playing games for the first team - a contrast to his stature in the U23s, where he started off very much on the fringes for the first few months and then gradually became a dominant force alongside the powerful Josh DaSilva.

He was originally a #10/winger as an U18 but his game currently better suits a deeper lying CM position. He does have a standout quality - his passing. Something that hasn't shown itself as much in the first team, but at every other level, his passing is of a very high standard, and he's a capable dribbler too. His shooting leaves a lot to be desired, and he's not elite in final 3rd situations. I feel his game is much better suited to a CM position, probably as an #8.

I said it before, I'll say it again - needed a bit more time to cook as an U23 first, which he has done this season. I think with a bit more confidence and game time, we will start to see how good he really can be.

NieThePiet

Loves Overhyping Our Rivals
For the first game it was quiet okay.

The start was good, then there were some really bad passes. First game is always difficult.

The_Playmaker

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
I thought he did OK in the first half then drifted out of the game as it got more competitive. This has been a feature in his maiden season playing games for the first team - a contrast to his stature in the U23s, where he started off very much on the fringes for the first few months and then gradually became a dominant force alongside the powerful Josh DaSilva.

He was originally a #10/winger as an U18 but his game currently better suits a deeper lying CM position. He does have a standout quality - his passing. Something that hasn't shown itself as much in the first team, but at every other level, his passing is of a very high standard, and he's a capable dribbler too. His shooting leaves a lot to be desired, and he's not elite in final 3rd situations. I feel his game is much better suited to a CM position, probably as an #8.

I said it before, I'll say it again - needed a bit more time to cook as an U23 first, which he has done this season. I think with a bit more confidence and game time, we will start to see how good he really can be.

Wenger chose to invest in Willock rather than McGuane. Wrong decision.

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
Wenger chose to invest in Willock rather than McGuane. Wrong decision.
Time will tell on that front.

Having seen Willock quite extensively now, I can see why Wenger likes him. However, it is interesting that McGuane fell so far down the pecking order behind the likes of Willock, Dasilva, AMN and later Gilmour and even Smith-Rowe who is/was a winger. McGuane was tailor made for DM/CM and is as clean a technician as anyone at Hale End so it was a surprise that he wasn't given more opportunities here.

But I think Willock isn't a slouch by any means and with some confidence and experience, we will see. There's an opportunity for him and the likes of Dasilva potentially.

IMO I don't treat Nketiah, Nelson or Willock as someone who are ready for first team football. Rather they are getting their chances earlier because we can afford to give it to them now because of the state the club is in.

No one should expect them to do any glories in their first few games. It is still 2 years until they are fully developed. Instead we have to look at it as we are speeding up their development. They are still our best academy players and they are still our biggest bet from this generation.

Really don't understand why people feel the need to attack the youngsters or talk them down as some bad players because they didn't set the world a light in a struggling team with some braindead seniors in their very first games as proffessionals.

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐

Well, this analysis seems pretty flawed now that he's scored a number of goals this season, and 3 for the first team! :lol:

He's looking a lot better going forward now and the hope is that he can round out his game a bit more as he goes on.

Mrs Bergkamp

Double Dusted
Dusted 🔻
Hos best game to date. He was good on the ball and also against the rare Blackpool attack. His instinct in the box was top notch and how nice to see a player attack the near post. He had an all round good gam and saw a lot of the ball. That's better than some of his previous "good movement in to space" games. From looking the least likely of the promoted youth,he now looks ready to contribute.

truth_hurts

but Holding’s hair transplant was painless
The progression of Young players isn't linear, but considering him and Ghendouzi re the same age, I'd suggest Willock is far away from starting league games for us. Very mature performance today however.

Furious.

The one with a period. Fake Furious v1
The progression of Young players isn't linear, but considering him and Ghendouzi re the same age, I'd suggest Willock is far away from starting league games for us. Very mature performance today however.

But any players who can start and perform in Europa League, EFL and FA Cup games, as Willock is doing are vital for getting Arsenal's squad through a league season. If Arsenal were in the Champions League it might be a bit more of an issue, but they aren't.

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
DwTwiiAXQAAIqIf.jpg:large

Love this from Willock.

Can see his work ethic too, given how much he's improved and how competitive he is on the field. I always thought his competitiveness would make him stand out. I've seen a number of people say nothing stands out about him and I don't think that's true. Someone with his blend of height, dribbling, passing, intelligent pressing and competitive attitude isn't just a guy. That's a potentially standout player - and a goal threat too. He still has to put it all together, but I can see him being able to do it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom