• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Joe Willock: The True Joerdie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Big Poppa

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
I like having Willock on the pitch for this reason. He’s one of the few midfielders we have that has can play well and have a positive influence on the right hand side. Saka, Cellabos, Xhaka, ESR all prefer the left but Willock, Partey and Elneny can do it on the right. That will definitely help us in terms of balancing the sides and hopefully move on from the left hand bias we have.

Excellent point.

Big Poppa

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Said it all along - hes what Ramsey would have been if he had a footballing brain.

Aside from arriving in the box they are two very different players. Willock is way more physical than Ramsey was at the same age, and much, much quicker.

Ramsey however had a very good understanding of the game due to the amount of experience he had as a teenager.

It’s a bit of a moot comparison though as Willock is at a very early stage of development and as we know, Ramsey’s was significantly hampered by that injury.

truth_hurts

but Holding’s hair transplant was painless
Willock a couple of seasons ago looked a very serious prospect, but has regressed over the past year.

His boundless energy and willingness to break the lines is something that we desperately need and we've seen in the past that he can strike a ball. Although not the answer, he should definitely be an option. Him and Partey press well and are athletic.

tap-in

Nothing Wrong With Me
Said it all along - hes what Ramsey would have been if he had a footballing brain.

I didnt see the game last night. I've always likened him to Ramsey, many dont seem to like Willock but its those Ramsey like runs forward that stand out for me, and what we are currently lacking. He has an eye for goal too, another Ramsey trait.

Toby

No longer a Stuttgart Fan
Willock is way more physical than Ramsey was at the same age, and much, much quicker.

Oh man, young Ramsey had it all. He was so technical, too. I mean he was later, too, but a bit more erratic in his execution. Had he not been injured and developed his allround game the same he would've become such a complete midfielder.

Toby

No longer a Stuttgart Fan
Ramsey's leg break hurt his progression more than his detractors would like to admit IMO.

Yep. Had it all: Technique, vision, intelligence, range of passing, movement...then later added shooting, stamina, well timed runs, physicality. Shame it never all came quite together after the leg break. Back then thought he'd become the next Schweinsteiger and I think just looking at a young Ramsey and the completeness of his tools he'd have been like a proto Kimmich.

pigge

#Pigge #Equality

Player:Martinelli
Good game, but can't really judge a player vs this kind of opposition. Hope he can build from it though!

RunTheTrap

Kai Havertz Offense League
Ramsey and Willock are similar but they have differences.
Firstly, Willock is bigger and stronger, 6ft2, and agile. Ramsey is smaller but has the bigger engine. Secondly, Ramsey is better in duels and ball-winning, his passing is much more cute and consistent. Ramsey had great vision and weight of pass. Whereas, Willock is the better dribbler and ball-carrier, better ball striker, take that wonder goal against Liverpool. Ramsey could never generate that much power.
I think Ramsey should have developed into a goal-scoring, pressing 10. In the 4-2-3-1 area he could have been great with a double pivot behind him to cover for his lack of discipline. I just think on a technical level he struggled playing further up the pitch and when we bought Özil, it was only one winner for that 10 spot. I think Ramsey based his game Lampard.
As for Willock, he really should be developed into a RCM in a 4–3-3 or one of the two’s in a double pivot. I don’t like the 10 role for him, he becomes a Dele Alli but I think he has more in his game. He obviously needs a lot of work in the technical department, passing, defensive work and concentration but he is more disciplined and his pace can get him out of most situations but I think managers are hesitant to play him deep because his passing can be loose and he’s not that great defensively. He should really model his game on Leon Grotezeka and maybe he could be a great Arsenal midfielder one day.

Stoof

Willock is the only centre mid we have that is willing to break the lines and get into the box. Very useful player, i hope he gets more opportunities to develop his game.

say yes

forum master baiter
Yep. Had it all: Technique, vision, intelligence, range of passing, movement...then later added shooting, stamina, well timed runs, physicality. Shame it never all came quite together after the leg break. Back then thought he'd become the next Schweinsteiger and I think just looking at a young Ramsey and the completeness of his tools he'd have been like a proto Kimmich.
Nope. I rate Ramsey more than most on here, but he never had any special intelligence on the ball. Was always weak against the press (pre and post injury) and prone to sloppiness. Very different player to Kimmich.

Had great stamina, elite technique and was a decent passer. More like a budget Stevie G.

Big Poppa

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Firstly, Willock is bigger and stronger, 6ft2, and agile. Ramsey is smaller but has the bigger engine. Secondly, Ramsey is better in duels and ball-winning, his passing is much more cute and consistent. Ramsey had great vision and weight of pass. Whereas, Willock is the better dribbler and ball-carrier, better ball striker, take that wonder goal against Liverpool. Ramsey could never generate that much power.
I think Ramsey should have developed into a goal-scoring, pressing 10. In the 4-2-3-1 area he could have been great with a double pivot behind him to cover for his lack of discipline. I just think on a technical level he struggled playing further up the pitch and when we bought Özil, it was only one winner for that 10 spot. I think Ramsey based his game Lampard.
As for Willock, he really should be developed into a RCM in a 4–3-3 or one of the two’s in a double pivot. I don’t like the 10 role for him, he becomes a Dele Alli but I think he has more in his game. He obviously needs a lot of work in the technical department, passing, defensive work and concentration but he is more disciplined and his pace can get him out of most situations but I think managers are hesitant to play him deep because his passing can be loose and he’s not that great defensively. He should really model his game on Leon Grotezeka and maybe he could be a great Arsenal midfielder one day.

Agree with most of your post except this bit. Also, Ramsey scored an even better belter on his weak foot at Galatasaray so not sure about the generating power bit.

I just think it’s a silly comparison.

Football Manager

Copy & Paste Merchant
A lot of Ramsey’s passes was terrible. Great vision? Great weight of pass? You're joking mate.

Willock is good dribbler/ball carrier?

To me, both are technically shxt.

Red London

Anti-Simp Culture
Trusted ⭐
He works much better in a 3 man midfield, we were saying this all along. He even played well in our first two games (Burnley and Newcastle) last season playing in a 3 before Emery changed it up.

Him playing number 10 was a travesty, he's not that kind of guy to be the focal point of possession. He's a box to box player and likes to be the third midfielder who has the license to go forward and take up positions in the opposition box. I assume this is why Arteta played him as a right winger at times because our formation didnt have 3 CMs and that was the closest position to a b2b we had.

He's not the kind of guy who has a killer pass and a lot of vision. He is strong, quick, a good ball carrier and has intelligent movement- with decent passing ability. We should use him that way as our most forward thinking midfield player in a 3 (rather than playing the static ceballos and xhaka either side of an isolated partey).

RunTheTrap

Th
Agree with most of your post except this bit. Also, Ramsey scored an even better belter on his weak foot at Galatasaray so not sure about the generating power bit.

I just think it’s a silly comparison.
The ball was already off the ground when he hit it. I mean a lot of Ramsey’s shots never hit the top corner like a Gerrard or a Lampard. I just don’t think he could regularly hit the ball with power. Just an observation but I might be wrong.

RunTheTrap

A lot of Ramsey’s passes was terrible. Great vision? Great weight of pass? You're joking mate.

Willock is good dribbler/ball carrier?

To me, both are technically shxt.
He was a very dribbly and technical winger/10 in his younger years. Like i have said in previous posts. He was a small lower centre of gravity playmaker and then in the space of a couple years he’s grown to 6ft2. He’s still learning his body. You have to remember that he wasn’t born tall like a Diaby. He will look clumsy at times but in time he’ll fill out and look a lot cleaner technically. As for Ramsey, that’s your opinion. I don’t know what your standards for technical abilities are but I think he was okay in most departments. Not elite like Wilshere but good imo.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Top Bottom