• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

✍️ OFFICIAL Joe Willock (Out)

Status
Not open for further replies.

tcahill

Willock proved a useful impact sub getting a couple of goals coming off the bench.

If we needing a goal, having two young, talented goal scorers in Willock and Martinelli will come in very useful options on the bench.

Would you rather us have 30 mill to spend or a good impact sub?

Gn1212

Yeah, wouldn't mind Willock in the mix. Impact from the bench. Even if he isn't a starter, if he gets the opportunities that Elneny and Dani got it is still worth it.

Should definitely get a run in preseason at the very least.

Last edited:

tcahill

An impact sub that influences our results.

We spent 45m on starting cm that has stunk up the place so far. 35m for CB that easily amongst one of our worst cbs the past decade.

Fair enough, each to their own.

DasBootist

People seems to be blind. There are some youngsters you don't sell as they have a much higher seeling than others. Saka, ESR and Martinelli you don't touch. Willock, Nelson, Nketiah,... you sell at the right price. £25m is a right price for a youngster that didn't show much at Arsenal. That he is shining at Newcastle doesn't mean he will back at Arsenal.

Would I rather see Torreira, Elneny, Xhaka,... being gone for good money? Def. but as it will not be happening, we need to be selling some assets to aim for better.
Willock and Nelson will become big players in time, of that I am confident. Nketiah is limited in terms of talent.

Gooner416

Master of Stonks
Trusted ⭐

The decision on Willock comes down to whether the manager is wedded to 4231 or if he wants to shift to a 433. He could be an effective option in the latter, but I don't see a place for him in a double pivot.
Well not playing him as a RW or CAM would be a good start.

Mudi

Willock and Nelson will become big players in time, of that I am confident. Nketiah is limited in terms of talent.

Still not getting the point do you?

They may become big players in time, maybe in 2-5 years but they need consistent football. They need to have bad games and grow by learning. However at a club as Arsenal, there should be little room for that and only for the best talents. And no Willock and Nelson are and will never be on the same tier as Saka or ESR.

So we should stop putting time. Get the money, attrack other talent to improve the team for now.

Btw, given our talent pool / youngsters, there is only 1 player that made the top and we missed out and that was Gnabry. For the rest, no other talent had any big impact and many even flopped afterwards.

yybecause

Formerly known as ArsenaLover
Would be stupid to sell him.
I don't even care about prices thrown around; kid went on loan, destroyed it, has the skill set we are lacking, is HG, and we should sell him now?
would be stupid. And at the same time, would mean so much for all the other young lads we send on loan in future

goldengod

£30m for Willock would be great business. The guy has shown little here when given multiple opportunities. He's gone to Newcastle and done well, but even with the 7 goals in 7 games there are cracks in his game that don't make him suitable to our style and playing for a big club. Even then, the 7 goal streak is clearly flash in the pan, unsustainable stuff. He wont produce those numbers next year and if he reverts to complete type he'll be worth half that amount.

Sell and use the Xhaka, Guendouzi, Willock money to get a quality CM (seems like Neves) + very good, young third option (around £20m?). Elneny remains 4th choice.

14Henry

Looking for receipts 👀
£30m for Willock would be great business. The guy has shown little here when given multiple opportunities. He's gone to Newcastle and done well, but even with the 7 goals in 7 games there are cracks in his game that don't make him suitable to our style and playing for a big club. Even then, the 7 goal streak is clearly flash in the pan, unsustainable stuff. He wont produce those numbers next year and if he reverts to complete type he'll be worth half that amount.

Sell and use the Xhaka, Guendouzi, Willock money to get a quality CM (seems like Neves) + very good, young third option (around £20m?). Elneny remains 4th choice.
Firstly we don't have a style. The football under Mikel is poor boring and slow. And you don't sell an asset today based on the manager as we all know in a couple of years there will be a new manager.

Secondly while I agree Willock won't score 7/7 and a rate of 1 goal a game every week but he doesn't need to. If he is able to get you 10 goals a season and 6-7 assists both from starts and the bench then that's not so bad for a player who is developing and won't hit his ceiling for about another 3 years.

People would say before. Until we see what Willock can do week in week out we don't know how good he is.

So he went on loan, had an excellent loan, saved Newcastle season, fitted like a glove there and took to the club while maintaining respect for us.

Hes done all he can to prove he is worth considering for the Arsenal squad.

He doesn't need to start for us now. But being one of the first subs, while playing cup games and learning and developing in training could serve him well.

People said Emi had proven nothing. He had his 3-4 month spell with us and was excellent. People said oh purple patch. Yet this season he was one of the keepers in the league and was very good.

Would we swap Leno for Emi today. Course we would. Maybe we can use that as a lesson learned.

If we could sell Willock and sign a world class player of similar age and profile I would accept it. But if we are selling Willock to throw 40m at a 28 year old or 6 loans no.

AeNwT

Firstly we don't have a style. The football under Mikel is poor boring and slow. And you don't sell an asset today based on the manager as we all know in a couple of years there will be a new manager.

Secondly while I agree Willock won't score 7/7 and a rate of 1 goal a game every week but he doesn't need to. If he is able to get you 10 goals a season and 6-7 assists both from starts and the bench then that's not so bad for a player who is developing and won't hit his ceiling for about another 3 years.

People would say before. Until we see what Willock can do week in week out we don't know how good he is.

So he went on loan, had an excellent loan, saved Newcastle season, fitted like a glove there and took to the club while maintaining respect for us.

He doesn't need to start for us now. But being one of the first subs, while playing cup games and learning and developing in training could serve him well.

People said Emi had proven nothing. He had his 3-4 month spell with us and was excellent. People said oh purple patch. Yet this season he was one of the keepers in the league and was very good.

Would we swap Leno for Emi today. Course we would. Maybe we can use that as a lesson learned.

If we could sell Willock and sign a world class player of similar age and profile I would accept it. But if we are selling Willock to throw 40m at a 28 year old or 6 loans no.
It’s crazy posts like this are even needed. People don’t get the profile Willock fits. We’ve needed a player like him for years.

MikelHadADream

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
The decision on Willock comes down to whether the manager is wedded to 4231 or if he wants to shift to a 433. He could be an effective option in the latter, but I don't see a place for him in a double pivot.

Arteta is on record saying he wants to move to a 433. I'd think Willock would be an excellent option if that did happen.

14Henry

Looking for receipts 👀
Arteta is on record saying he wants to move to a 433. I'd think Willock would be an excellent option if that did happen.
Plus a good manager needs to be adaptable and have players who can change system. Some games you're gonna have to play 4 4 1 1 or 4 2 3 1 etc. Someone like Willock can be useful.

Listen I'm under no illusions that Willock has to improve a lot to make the first team regularly but he's 21 and we supposedly have one of the best managers in the world if AM is concerned. So why isn't the manager keen to implement his skills and save us a fortune in the transfer market.

MikelHadADream

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
Plus a good manager needs to be adaptable and have players who can change system. Some games you're gonna have to play 4 4 1 1 or 4 2 3 1 etc. Someone like Willock can be useful.

Listen I'm under no illusions that Willock has to improve a lot to make the first team regularly but he's 21 and we supposedly have one of the best managers in the world if AM is concerned. So why isn't the manager keen to implement his skills and save us a fortune in the transfer market.

To be fair we have to see what happens, I don't think anyone really knows whether he is in the clubs plans or not.

But what I would say is it really isn't a good look if we flog a guy that's broken various goal scoring records for midfielders, when the club is in dire need for goals from midfield, to fund a move for another DM that doesn't score or assist.

Guys like Willock and Saliba deserve a proper chance.

Football Manager

Copy & Paste Merchant

Emi is clearly very talented. Willock has clear weaknesses in his game.

Arsenal1508

Mods are unethical! Özil, come assist me please!
Emi is clearly very talented. Willock has clear weaknesses in his game.
Every player has weaknesses...every player has strengths. Can Messi head the ball like CRonaldo? No Can Ronaldo dribble like Messi? No

Willock is no Xavi, but he adds a different dimension. You need a match winner in your side...these players are very valuable. He will get in the box and make things happen. I saw this quality 1st time in the Europa League final in baku. At 19, he came off the bench for last 10 minutes and played with so much passion. 3 or 4 chances he created for himself....Xavi would never.

For me...he is a hybrid striker moreso than midfielder.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom