• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

✍️ OFFICIAL Joe Willock (Out)

Status
Not open for further replies.

krengon

One Arsène Wenger
Trusted ⭐
Unless they extend his contract before the loan this is the worst option,we are better off selling him now in this case.

Rasmi

Negative Nancy

I've been banging on all window about Willock, and how I think the club should keep him and use him next season.

However, there is a set of circumstances where a loan makes sense - if we extend his contract with no option / obligation, then the loan allows an informed view on Willock's development with a full season of PL football. If he continues to rip it up then he either comes back as an experienced first teamer with Arsenal or else his value goes higher elsewhere.

If it's a loan - even with an option - and no extension then I agree with all that's been said on this being a proper dud move.
What if he has a poor season filled with inju. Now you have extended his contract with higher wages and his value has gone down. Either keep him and use him or sell him. Nothing else make sense

Red London

Anti-Simp Culture
Trusted ⭐
People don’t get it. Most clubs have no money. We will struggle to offload this summer.
But you’re saying it likes he’s deadwood and we have to loan him out?

Anyway there’s gonna be a lot of money that goes back and forth in the PL, it’s way more than recession proof than the rest of the continent. Also, the big money moves haven’t occurred yet. Let’s say if Kane or Grealish join City, or some other 20-30m signings occur within the league, suddenly you have sides who need to replace their players.

I could easily see us get a bid from a Soton, Palace, Newcastle, Wolves, West Ham etc. later in the window if we want to sell.

I would rather keep Willock than loan him like this.

Barry

Definitely Not An Old Poster
What if he has a poor season filled with inju. Now you have extended his contract with higher wages and his value has gone down. Either keep him and use him or sell him. Nothing else make sense

Personally I'd accept that possibility as a risk weighed against the benefits above. My strong preference has always been to keep and play Willock, but many here (including Arteta apparently) don't see him at as a viable starter, even as 3rd/ 4th choice.

The thing with talented younger players is that you don't want to let them go before they reach their potential, but you can only play the best in a top team without risking lots of points and games. Loans are one of the solutions to this, but only if Willock is in the long term picture.

Heavy Duty Rom

Outdated Tweets Merchant
But you’re saying it likes he’s deadwood and we have to loan him out?

Anyway there’s gonna be a lot of money that goes back and forth in the PL, it’s way more than recession proof than the rest of the continent. Also, the big money moves haven’t occurred yet. Let’s say if Kane or Grealish join City, or some other 20-30m signings occur within the league, suddenly you have sides who need to replace their players.

I could easily see us get a bid from a Soton, Palace, Newcastle, Wolves, West Ham etc. later in the window if we want to sell.

I would rather keep Willock than loan him like this.
As would I. But transfer fees aren't the only way to make money, loan fees along with a players wages being off the books.

I hope i'm wrong but other than City, Chelsea and possibly Utd, i don't expect much activity outside of loans.

tap-in

Nothing Wrong With Me
Am I really the only one who thought another loan was a better option than selling him? If Arteta doesn't want to use him why should we be forced to sell. I said again last week that we should only sell Willock if we really really need the money. Keeping him on our books has to be a good thing, even if he doesn't kick a ball for us this season.

Rasmi

Negative Nancy

Personally I'd accept that possibility as a risk weighed against the benefits above. My strong preference has always been to keep and play Willock, but many here (including Arteta apparently) don't see him at as a viable starter, even as 3rd/ 4th choice.

The thing with talented younger players is that you don't want to let them go before they reach their potential, but you can only play the best in a top team without risking lots of points and games. Loans are one of the solutions to this, but only if Willock is in the long term picture.
Ok but what is it in for willock to commit to a club that don’t think he can contribute right now? Whatever wages we can offer him now Newcastle can match that? We seen young players commit to big clubs and waste years while other youngsters at smaller clubs passing them by with playing time

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
Eh, I echo my sentiment from yesterday. I want him to stay but only on the basis that he plays regularly for us.

A loan isn't the worst thing in the world at all but it definitely leaves our midfield in a weird state and needing more bodies - and we won't have the financial boost of a potential £30m sale either.

I honestly am not sure exactly what kind of midfield we're going to be building, but I have a feeling it's still gonna have problems this season. Lokonga is a step in the right direction but that's it.

Barry

Definitely Not An Old Poster
Ok but what is it in for willock to commit to a club that don’t think he can contribute right now? Whatever wages we can offer him now Newcastle can match that? We seen young players commit to big clubs and waste years while other youngsters at smaller clubs passing them by with playing time

Yeah I know that's the point I suppose... He may accept that a loan for game time until he is 22 is reasonable but equally he may view it as a lack of faith and a sideways step. The other issue is that the club will need funds to bring in replacements. Not buying that Stan is going to underwrite Arsenal this year. I think unfortunately they view Willock as sellable, just like with Martinez. I think doing that, especially for cheap would be another mistake as well.

grange

Losing my brain cells 🥸

Player:Havertz
Arteta's comments pretty much confirm that he's out the door

Mudi

Where do people see him on this team? Serious question.

Let's assume we move to 4-2-3-1 next year:

Auba
Pepe--ESR--Saka
Partey--Willock
If that is our midfield, we won't make top 4. Willock and Partey duo is too weak to control the midfield and feed the attackers.

Do you want to play him instead of ESR who is a bigger talent and better suited for a 10 than Willock.

Willock is doing great at Newcastle because they sit deep and play counterattack, playing on the strengths of Willock. You don't turn an offer of £25-30m for Willock, you turn every offer for ESR, Saka and Martinelli. Those 3 are special talents.

Dutch D

Well-Known Member & FPL Champion 19/20
Where do people see him on this team? Serious question.

Let's assume we move to 4-2-3-1 next year:

Auba
Pepe--ESR--Saka
Partey--Willock
If that is our midfield, we won't make top 4. Willock and Partey duo is too weak to control the midfield and feed the attackers.

Do you want to play him instead of ESR who is a bigger talent and better suited for a 10 than Willock.

Willock is doing great at Newcastle because they sit deep and play counterattack, playing on the strengths of Willock. You don't turn an offer of £25-30m for Willock, you turn every offer for ESR, Saka and Martinelli. Those 3 are special talents.
Why assume 4-2-3-1? He fits better in a 4-3-3.

Saka - Auba - Pepe
Smith-Rowe - Willock
Partey​

Have you seen Willock body big players this season? I think he can contribute on both sides and support Partey, while contributing to attack by making runs into the box.

Smith-Rowe and Saka can be the creative players, with Auba and Pepe being the goalscoring attackers.

I would say we're probably light in midfield in terms of depth with this squad, though. I would prefer to add Caqueret to the mix. Allowing us to play Partey and Caqueret as a more solid defensive pairing in bigger games and being more attacking with the above line-up against smaller teams.

HairSprayGooners

My brother posted it ⏩
lauded means nothing....he hasnt shown anything that says he is a brilliant coach. Is he a better manager than emery in your eyes?

Hes one of the best coaches out there. As a manager he has a lot to learn. There's a big difference.

Ole for example doesn't coach United at all. He acts purely as a manager. He's been a manager for a very long time whereas last season was Arteta's first full season as a manager.

Itll take time for him to develop the managerial side of his game.

Rasmi

Negative Nancy

Hes one of the best coaches out there. As a manager he has a lot to learn. There's a big difference.

Ole for example doesn't coach United at all. He acts purely as a manager. He's been a manager for a very long time whereas last season was Arteta's first full season as a manager.

Itll take time for him to develop the managerial side of his game.
I don’t think any of us would mind Arteta in the coaching staff. We just don’t want him as a manager

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom