• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

✍️ OFFICIAL Joe Willock (Out)

Status
Not open for further replies.

bingobob

A-M’s Resident Hunskelper
Trusted ⭐

Because im sick and tired of seeing the same underachieving players getting gametime over and over again. If we keep on playing the same crap year after year how are we going to expect different results. If arteta doesnt have it in him to delevope young talents he needs to go.
To sign new players we need to raise money. Willock is a player from the academy, cost us nothing, we owe nobody nothing. If we sell him for 25m plus he will go into our top 10 record sales.

We need to start doing things differently. One of those things is selling players at the right time. If Willock is that guy fine by me. We can't be a club developing half a dozen guys at the same time. We tried it with better players and manager and it didn't work. The environment and pressure is more difficult than it was then.

Barry

Definitely Not An Old Poster
How so? 1 never played a game for us and the other was a bit part player.

I don't really understand where people's priorities are.

It's easy really, we are a team that is already struggling with senior players who are largely not performing and big question marks around both the coach and the DoF. If we also can't trust that high quality (and expensive) young talent signings won't be given a chance; and that our best performing academy talents will be sold - then that erodes another layer of excitement from areas we could possibly improve next year.

That, plus Saliba looks like a really good player, and Willock just equalled a premier league goal record last season. I assume people who are fine with Willock and Saliba leaving don't rate them very much.

bingobob

A-M’s Resident Hunskelper
Trusted ⭐

It's easy really, we are a team that is already struggling with senior players who are largely not performing and big question marks around both the coach and the DoF. If we also can't trust that high quality (and expensive) young talent signings won't be given a chance; and that our best performing academy talents will be sold - then that erodes another layer of excitement from areas we could possibly improve next year.

That, plus Saliba looks like a really good player, and Willock just equalled a premier league goal record last season. I assume people who are fine with Willock and Saliba leaving don't rate them very much.
Its not that I don't rate them. Its that neither have done much in an Arsenal shirt. Jessie Lingard had a fantastic end to his season at West Ham is anyone calling to sign him? Thst could be Joe Willock in 10 years. If we can move Xhaka and Willock on and begin to rebuild the team that's a positive. Xhaka should have been moved on long ago. Can we gamble that what happened with Willock wasn't just a purple patch. Iirc a lot of his goals were off the bench. His stock is very high. We can get more money for an under 21 than we can for the captain of Switzerland. A player that started nearly every game for us.

Id love Willock to stay and Xhaka to go. But if Willock isn't in the plans then sell him. We've seen this story before. If fans want to get excited about young players breaking through we have two already. Saka and Esr. That's plenty for now.

Barry

Its not that I don't rate them. Its that neither have done much in an Arsenal shirt. Jessie Lingard had a fantastic end to his season at West Ham is anyone calling to sign him? Thst could be Joe Willock in 10 years. If we can move Xhaka and Willock on and begin to rebuild the team that's a positive. Xhaka should have been moved on long ago. Can we gamble that what happened with Willock wasn't just a purple patch. Iirc a lot of his goals were off the bench. His stock is very high. We can get more money for an under 21 than we can for the captain of Switzerland. A player that started nearly every game for us.

Id love Willock to stay and Xhaka to go. But if Willock isn't in the plans then sell him. We've seen this story before. If fans want to get excited about young players breaking through we have two already. Saka and Esr. That's plenty for now.

That's fair enough and I respect your point of view. Personally I disagree that Saka and ESR (and Martinelli) are enough though. It's that sort of thinking that brings in an underperforming Willian at Nelson's expense and prioritises game time to Elneny over Willock. Where we are right now in the league, we can play more younger players without it affecting us too badly because we are realistically not pushing for the league this season, probably not for top 4 even.

Those players will increase in value and the cream of the crop should be retained, with rest sold at the right time. Usually this would be 22-23 or when a stand out bid comes in. We haven't had one for Willock by the sounds of it. £20m + add-ons it's peanuts for top young talent. I'm up for selling by the way - AMN, Nelson, Nketiah. Fine. In those cases we've either already persevered through their development or else they have more talented younger players coming through. I'm just hoping for a bit of patience to nurture a model Dortmund (or Arsenal of old) so that we can then focus our funds on really, really top level signings.

Willock's all round game has limitations so I can see the reluctance with him, but he brings something different to what we have elsewhere. Saliba not being given a chance at all is just odd, but that's been done to death elsewhere.

Dutch D

Well-Known Member & FPL Champion 19/20

It's kind of disappointing to me how 'high' his stock is, though. Especially given the fee that unknown Chelsea kid went for who hasn't even featured in the PL, let alone set records. If we can only fetch €20m, I doubt we can use that to fund a move that's a massive upgrade on Willock. In that case I'd rather try him out in a 4-3-3 formation ourselves. Now if the offer is 30m pounds that's where it gets tempting and I would agree that we should probably sell him to fund a major signing, preferably with a buyback and/or sell-on clause.

What do we gain this crucial season from a loan with a small fee and an obligation next year to pay a measly 20m?

MikelHadADream

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
Would be so Arsneal to accept a rubbish loan with 20m obligation to buy, then the Saudi's take them over who'd potentially be willing to pay double that.

goldengod

IMO, if we get a sensible offer (£20m+) for Willock we should sell. We need to be more assertive in the transfer market. Youth players like Willock should get their chance and if they don't take it, be sold ASAP before their value plummets. Willock has been here a long time and hasn't really impressed. The goal streak was clearly a weird purple patch with not the stats to back it up.

Time to move on from Willock, Nketiah, Nelson, AMN - they aren't cutting it here - if a good offer comes in then they should go. We can then start to give new youth like Balogun a go, and in two years time we should be doing the same thing on them too - you either take your chance or you go.

samspade

"You said I said" detection expert at your service
IMO, if we get a sensible offer (£20m+) for Willock we should sell. We need to be more assertive in the transfer market. Youth players like Willock should get their chance and if they don't take it, be sold ASAP before their value plummets. Willock has been here a long time and hasn't really impressed. The goal streak was clearly a weird purple patch with not the stats to back it up.

Time to move on from Willock, Nketiah, Nelson, AMN - they aren't cutting it here - if a good offer comes in then they should go. We can then start to give new youth like Balogun a go, and in two years time we should be doing the same thing on them too - you either take your chance or you go.
Can’t decide on Willock but whole heartedly agree with the larger point. Part of the business of selling well and keeping the squad healthy is letting players you don’t particularly want gone go for big money. Coutinho comes to mind as an ideal case.

Barry

The goal streak was clearly a weird purple patch with not the stats to back it up.

Not disputing that Willock's in a purple patch, but the stats do actually back up his underlying performances. His XG at Newcastle was 4.85. That's a nine goal season if he drops from his actual to his expected goals.

Yousif Arsenal

On Vinai's payroll & misses 4th place trophy 🏆
Trusted ⭐

Need to include obligation if he not signing new contract Newcastle have little budget this summer but when things back to normal next summer they'll have more money and new owners probably

Football Manager

Copy & Paste Merchant
I would prefer to sell. But if he is in our future plan, and we have to loan him out, he should be loan to Spain. I see one positive aspect in him, but he has so many weaknesses. He need to develop his teamwork, build up play, creativity and his football skills.

Gn1212

Some others called it before but this may very well be a straight loan.
If that's the case then I think it's clear the club still counts on him and they're doing it so that he can continue his development by getting consistent game time.

GunnerShy

I would prefer to sell. But if he is in our future plan, and we have to loan him out, he should be loan to Spain. I see one positive aspect in him, but he has so many weaknesses. He need to develop his teamwork, build up play, creativity and his football skills.
Probably not the club to be developing build up play, creativity and football skills though is it?

We would want to be extending his contract too if it's for development

Rasmi

Negative Nancy

He has 2 years left on his contract. Either sell him and make him sign new contract. Knowing how incompetent the club is. He will not sign new deal, will get loaned out and have an average season and comeback with 12 months left on his deal and his value has really gone down. rarely does a player do as well second time on loan. I just dont see how willock can carry on what he did last season. he was breaking scoring record for midfielders. His stock is as high as it will be. Just sell him

Multipass

if we are being told Tammy is around $40m, then why should Willock go for any less. Willock had the best goal scoring record of any player at the back end of last season - and can anyone be confident that Tammy has a higher ceiling?.

truth_hurts

but Holding’s hair transplant was painless
if we are being told Tammy is around $40m, then why should Willock go for any less. Willock had the best goal scoring record of any player at the back end of last season - and can anyone be confident that Tammy has a higher ceiling?.
You are right, but strikers cost more and Tammy has performed for a top 4 team.

We need to cash in on Willock.

Rasmi

Negative Nancy

Because no one is close to paying that for him and Arteta don’t rate willock

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom