• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

✍️ OFFICIAL Joe Willock (Out)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fewtch

Özil at 10 And Emery Out
But he's not playing Pepe ahead of Saka? They played together for most of the second part of the season. Pepe had a stint at LW and then Arteta moved him back to RW and Saka at LW.

This wasn't a one of and Pepe finished the season strongly. IIRC, they reverted to Pepe at RW because Saka was having a brief dip of form and was looking exhausted.
So Saka was the main guy at RW for Arteta?

Fewtch

Özil at 10 And Emery Out
Elneny is a poor DM, think even Ceballos won the ball more often. All evidence my arse, you're just making things up. I'm not saying Willock is a DM, but Elneny plays there even if he does very little from what you would expect of DM's. Both of them are more suited as CM, it's just the thing that Elneny is an extremely poor one
Am I making up that Elneny played ahead of Willock at DM for three different managers?

Edit: Forgot Emery actually loaned him out for a season but I'm guessing he still had more apps at DM than Willock under Emery.

Last edited:

ArsenesCoatMaker

Established Member
Amn and Willock are about to turn 24 and 22 respectively this month, they are not kids anymore. If they can't outcompete an absolutely tragic player like Elneny then they're probably not that good.

I mean AMN obviously doesn't have a future here unless he wants to play as a fullback. It's rumoured he did and still got frozen out, which is strange given he was a big part of the FA Cup games.

Willock is a different kettle of fish, in that he got some Europa games and then went on loan and shone like a star. If I'm Arteta I'm looking at how well he did and thinking how I could incorporate him as a B2B at least as a squad capacity.

I agree he's not a DM like Elneny. But 2 DMs is basically Mourinho ball.

blrgooner

Established Member
Pepe was a starter for most of the second half of the season? Saka was also a mainstay in the team already prior to Arteta?

I know you don't like willock and that's fine, but don't act like Elneny is a better alternative when he's just not.

Willian had to get sick for ESR to finally get a chance to play. The manager likes seniority and there's nothing wrong with that on its own, it turns into an issue when we're playing someone like Elneny who shouldn't be at Arsenal in the first place.
This is such a myth. In the EPL Saka had played around 500 minutes till Arteta took over that season. After Arteta took over towards the end of December(Almost exacty at half way stage) he played over a 1000 minutes.
Elneny should not be playing. But Willock is not an alternative for him. Its funny to blame Arteta for not playing him ahead of Elneny. Even if Willock leaves, I am willing to bet that no manager is going to play him in a DM role.

blrgooner

Established Member
I mean AMN obviously doesn't have a future here unless he wants to play as a fullback. It's rumoured he did and still got frozen out, which is strange given he was a big part of the FA Cup games.

Willock is a different kettle of fish, in that he got some Europa games and then went on loan and shone like a star. If I'm Arteta I'm looking at how well he did and thinking how I could incorporate him as a B2B at least as a squad capacity.

I agree he's not a DM like Elneny. But 2 DMs is basically Mourinho ball.
Again look at all the mistakes Elneny has made in the pre season. Look at his position. He is covering for CB`s and trying to commit opposition players on the press. I amnot saying he is good at that. But I can`t see how Willock is better at doing that. He has never shown in his career that he can play as a DM.
Now, if your argument is that we need to change the system, then that will also have its own strengths and drawbacks. The reason for changing the system should depend on whether we can get better results. I don`t think we should change the system to suit a youngster who is really not good enough to start for us in every game anyways(He was not even a starter for Newcastle before his goal scoring run).
BTW I do like the idea of 4 3 3. I think ESR would be in the front 3 though and if we sign Martinez, then we will have 2 of Saka/Pepe/ESR on the bench. People like Martinelli/Balogun would hardly ever get chances and again there will be people saying Manager doesn`t like to play youngsters.

GoonerJeeves

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

He'd work on the right of a 3-4-3 as well I think. Especially if we had more of a touchline hugging wingback on the left (Tierney/ Tavares / Saka)

We've got the players to have a quality back three as well.
It seems we ditched 3-4-3 last season though. Not sure we'll return to that formation, perhaps in some away games?

Barry

Definitely Not An Old Poster
It seems we ditched 3-4-3 last season though. Not sure we'll return to that formation, perhaps in some away games?
I think you are totally right and as others have said, it wouldn't be worth keeping Willock around unless he can start a decent number of games. Feels like one formation that could work well in certain circumstances though.

grange

Losing my brain cells 🥸

Player:Havertz
It just seems like a massive waste of time selling this guy who can clearly play and contribute regularly. I just don't understand it.

Badger_Revenge

We always complain that Arsenal can't get rid proper value out of players they sell, but we also want to keep players right up until they have obviously failed. You can't have both, especially for a young player who has barely broken into the ranks.

I like Willock, but I don't see how he fits with the current pieces that we have, and I don't see building a team around him. I can see the case for putting him next to Lokonga as an 8. He is one of the few players on our books that could play that role. But depending on transfers he might only get cup games in that configuration, and that isn't enough. He needs to keep developing and for that he needs to play.

I have a feeling that Arteta and Edu don't want to make a decision re Willock until the smoke has cleared regarding transfers. But Newcastle don't want to wait that long, and they also probably don't have the money to pay a good price. I suspect a loan is in the cards.

If I were running the club, I wouldn't be against that unless a big offer came in for a permanent transfer - cash in and reinvest. If I were Newcastle that is what I would be afraid of and I guess that is really why they are pressing for an answer. If I were arsenal, I think I'd want Willock developing in an environment that has clearly worked out for him, so it's a tough call.

tcahill

I was all for selling this guy for a decent amount then reinvesting in the squad. But as Newcastle can't pay up and our new CM signing is Xhaka, I'm happy to keep him and give him a shot at the first team.

Anyone who watched him at Newcastle, could he play in a double pivot?

AbouCuéllar

Author of A-M essays 📚
Selling Willock is a big Gnabry-level mistake. Remember he busted out for 11 goals at Bremen.
No comparison in terms of talent. Gnabry was a young player who had it all to be a top wide forward. Joe Willock is a central midfielder who struggles to do a lot of central midfielder things.

HairSprayGooners

My brother posted it ⏩
I was all for selling this guy for a decent amount then reinvesting in the squad. But as Newcastle can't pay up and our new CM signing is Xhaka, I'm happy to keep him and give him a shot at the first team.

Anyone who watched him at Newcastle, could he play in a double pivot?

He played double pivot for Newcastle but in a back 5. I don't think he has the skill set to play double pivot in a back 4. It's a 433 or bust for Willock.

Finesse

Willock should stay. Newcastle cannot afford to pay what we may deem to be a decent fee worth reinvesting into your squad. There is a lot Willock can bring to compliment our efforts this season. Simple !

field442

Hates Journalists Named James
Trusted ⭐
What the **** is wrong with this club? We are willing to sell him but will let him decide if he wants to stay? So they see no real place for him in the squad but will keep him anyway if he decides he doesn’t fancy a move? Either give him a shove out the door or make a commitment to him.

Yousif Arsenal

On Vinai's payroll & misses 4th place trophy 🏆
Trusted ⭐
What the **** is wrong with this club? We are willing to sell him but will let him decide if he wants to stay? So they see no real place for him in the squad but will keep him anyway if he decides he doesn’t fancy a move? Either give him a shove out the door or make a commitment to him.
I think they don't mind he stay because he useful but he'll be squad player. from Arteta comments after Chelsea game it does look he not in his plans so it's just matter if we get good bid.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom