• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

✍️ OFFICIAL Joe Willock (Out)

Status
Not open for further replies.

jato

I think if Willock was given the minutes and chances Elneny gets, he'd offer more to the team. Elneny has no upside whatsoever.

You do realise he got minutes last season, impressed in Europa and when he finally got his chances in the PL side he did nothing which is why after this his minutes dwindled and he got sent out on loan.

The only reason fans want him now is because of his purple patch during his loan. He definitely offers something different to the rest of the squad (and goals!) from midfield and I'd rather keep him than say AMN but there was a reason why he went on loan in the first place. He had bad positioning and his decision making was not great - either a poor final ball or by the time his team-mates were asking for the ball straight away the opportunity had already passed.

SingmeasongSong

Right Sometimes
I would see it more as an attacking 3-4-3 to be honest, I probably should have drawn it like that with Saka and Chambers acting more as wingers than full backs. Take your point though and I'm sure a lot of others would hate it for exactly that reason.

White will be a deep lying 6 playmaker against any team we dominate anyways. Essentially another midfielder for build-up.

RacingPhoton

Established Member
At this stage, Willock should not be worried about whether it is a loan or permanent move. He should just take it and move. It is important that he gets the minutes at this stage. Newcastle is not a bad club and the fans seem to love him. If he achieves his potential, surely some big clubs will bid for him in the upcoming seasons and he can move.
From the club's perspective it makes sense to allow a permanent move for 20M with a sell-on clause.

Sebastes

Statbomb Merchant
Trusted ⭐

I know I'm going to get hammered for this, but could see this formation working against Brentford if Partey is out...

-------- ----- ------ ----Leno ------ ----- ---------
Chambo - White - Holding -Tierney-Saka
------------------- Willock - Xhaka
--------------- Pepe ---- Auba ---- ESR
Not opposed to that at all. My biggest issue is with Chambers as rwb

Barry

Definitely Not An Old Poster
Not opposed to that at all. My biggest issue is with Chambers as rwb
That's definitely the weak link, you'd want someone with pace there ideally (Hakimi would have been the dream...). Against Brentford I'd probably chance Lokonga in the centre, drop Chambers and have Willock as the right sided player in a midfield four. That would be a gamble though with Lokonga having no PL experience at all.

El Duderino

That's, like, your opinion, man.
I really want him to stay and be used, but if he's not going to be played, move him and slap a buy back in there.

Still think 22m is peanuts for THE in form home grown youngster in the PL.

The joke about Liverpool getting around 30m for him writes itself.

SingmeasongSong

Right Sometimes
That's definitely the weak link, you'd want someone with pace there ideally (Hakimi would have been the dream...). Against Brentford I'd probably chance Lokonga in the centre, drop Chambers and have Willock as the right sided player in a midfield four. That would be a gamble though with Lokonga having no PL experience at all.

Just no Elneny. Ever. Thanks.

SingmeasongSong

Right Sometimes
I am starting to dislike Elneny so much (the football player), he's slowly climbing to the top of my alltime hate list.

He's not been the worst player of all the horrors that have come to life here, but he's bringing us a slow death, sneaking 1000's of minutes every year despite being trash, blocking kids .. never actually leaving.

He makes me wanna cry.

Barry

I am starting to dislike Elneny so much (the football player), he's slowly climbing to the top of my alltime hate list.

He's not been the worst player of all the horrors that have come to life here, but he's bringing us a slow death, sneaking 1000's of minutes every year despite being trash, blocking kids .. never actually leaving.

He makes me wanna cry.
I hear you but Willian is top of my hate list. Just thinking about the talent that he is blocking if he plays makes me weep... And you just know that he is going to play as well.

SingmeasongSong

Right Sometimes
I hear you but Willian is top of my hate list. Just thinking about the talent that he is blocking if he plays makes me weep... And you just know that he is going to play as well.

At least Willian was dropped at the end of the season for most of the games, of course far too late, but still - Elneny is like 5 years here and plays games !!!

I'd make him the new mascot and rather play a 16 year old from the academy because he'd do more for us despite his age.

Barry

I find it hard to be too fussed about Elneny. He never seems to put in horror performances and we don't have another out and out defensive midfielder (apart from Lucas). He also doesn't seem to mind being 5th choice or whatever so isn't a bad option to bring in and tighten up a game.

I totally get the hate for him though, don't get me wrong.

drippin

Obsessed with "Mature Trusted Members"

Many here seem to think that Elneny is a good squad player and Xhaka a bad one. I can never understand that.

Elneny has some bad mistakes in his locker too, although was pretty good in one patch last season. Elneny is the ultimate face for back and sideways passing, having about half of the progressing passes compared to Xhaka if I remember correctly.

We need to upgrade him on the bench some way. Can't have that "quality" starting EVER if we have injuries/bans.

Barry

Many here seem to think that Elneny is a good squad player and Xhaka a bad one. I can never understand that.

Elneny has some bad mistakes in his locker too, although was pretty good in one patch last season. Elneny is the ultimate face for back and sideways passing, having about half of the progressing passes compared to Xhaka if I remember correctly.

We need to upgrade him on the bench some way. Can't have that "quality" starting EVER if we have injuries/bans.

My ideal would actually be to keep Xhaka as a squad player and move on Elneny. Xhaka would be a brilliant squad player, but I just don't see it being very likely. If he gets a new contract then he wants to play and start matches and I can't see him being happy in a backup role in his prime. Plus we would be paying him big money (£120k pw maybe). Just feels like it he stays be will be a starter.

drippin

Obsessed with "Mature Trusted Members"

My ideal would actually be to keep Xhaka as a squad player and move on Elneny. Xhaka would be a brilliant squad player, but I just don't see it being very likely. If he gets a new contract then he wants to play and start matches and I can't see him being happy in a backup role in his prime. Plus we would be paying him big money (£120k pw maybe). Just feels like it he stays be will be a starter.
The good thing about Roma and lack of big club interest is that Xhaka might realize now his maximum level is at Arsenal, and even as a squad player who will still start many games in rotation.

Like I said earlier, £150k/pw is the maximum he should get, and hopefully less than that after the lack of interest or what Roma offered.

The good thing is also that he has always been quite professional and played when needed, giving his all. If we get him down to a new contract, we can likely buy someone to compete with him. Not much he can do after signing the contract.

Arteta didn't promise a starting spot to Martinez, and I think he won't do that to many other players either. Big clubs need competition for places.

6gunner

Based on the Maddison thread 22 for Willock plus the 40 we offered wins you the player. If Arteta really fancies Maddy then he should make this deal.

No need to keep Willock if we are going to bring in another 8/10.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts+

Top Bottom