• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Joe Willock: The True Joerdie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maybe

You're wrong, no?
Elneny is nowhere the all-round play of Carrick, Marchisio or even Arteta. He just works hard and is good at defensive part of the game.
Emm, no he's not. He was winning the ball for us far less than Ceballos, even that cripple Xhaka who can barely move can win the ball more often. If you mean jogging around our own half by defensive work, then yeah, but interceptions, tackles, and headers, he is complete poverty.

drippin

Obsessed with "Mature Trusted Members"

Emm, no he's not. He was winning the ball for us far less than Ceballos, even that cripple Xhaka who can barely move can win the ball more often. If you mean jogging around our own half by defensive work, then yeah, but interceptions, tackles, and headers, he is complete poverty.
Well I meant compared to his attacking game. :lol: I said he is average player.

GoonerJay24

Is it that hard to understand? Because we can't have so limited and average players starting EPL games at all. We need progressive capabilities from every midfielder.

Elneny 3rd backup. :facepalm: What the hell am I reading. Our views are so far apart that it's seems of no use to continue this discussion.

So you'd be fine with Partey, Xhaka, Sambi, Willock, Elneny and Azeez this season for example? 10th place here we come again unless some miracles happen and Partey is fit all season.
Your understanding of football isn't great nor realistic. How is Elnenys movement and awareness average? The attacking progressiveness cannot always come through the middle.

Again you misunderstand football. Its difficult having a squad where backup Central midfielders are superstars. Especially when finishing 8th.

This discussions about Elneny. I never spoke about my preferred midfield choices but if it were up to me, I'd sell Xhaka for £20m and bring in a top class deep lying playmaker to partner Partey and rotate with Willock. Lokonga, Elneny and Azeeez as backups. Regardless whose signed, we'd be lucky to get 10th whilst Artetas manager. We have to accept the consequences of hounding Wenger out for no real logical reason and this is it.

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
Your understanding of football isn't great nor realistic. How is Elnenys movement and awareness average? The attacking progressiveness cannot always come through the middle.
It's average because he does next to nothing to actually affect the attack consistently. Every now and then he'll hit a decent forward pass but he does that once every 3 appearances. His movement is simply to just be able to receive the ball and then pass it to someone else. Even then, he rarely receives any progressive passes so his movement is literally only basic and facilitatory in nature rather than progressive.

I'm sure Elneny is a super nice guy and I appreciate that he can run and pass to the nearest man all game, but realistically IMO he should not even be a backup at Arsenal. But he's here and he's not going anywhere for at least another year so hey ho!

drippin

Again you misunderstand football. Its difficult having a squad where backup Central midfielders are superstars. Especially when finishing 8th.

This discussions about Elneny. I never spoke about my preferred midfield choices but if it were up to me, I'd sell Xhaka for £20m and bring in a top class deep lying playmaker to partner Partey and rotate with Willock. Lokonga, Elneny and Azeeez as backups. Regardless whose signed, we'd be lucky to get 10th whilst Artetas manager. We have to accept the consequences of hounding Wenger out for no real logical reason and this is it.
"Top class" we can get is like Neves who will cost more than double than Xhaka and is not that much better. We can likely for example get Aouar almost for that price we save there. We can't even get 20 million for Xhaka like you suggest.

Xhaka isn't a superstar imo and I think he might agree to being a squad/rotation player now after lack of interest.

Midfielders here need to be able to progress the ball or attack well, and Elneny can't well enough like MutableEarth said above too. I guess you say he doesn't understand football either. Lol.

drippin

It's average because he does next to nothing to actually affect the attack consistently. Every now and then he'll hit a decent forward pass but he does that once every 3 appearances. His movement is simply to just be able to receive the ball and then pass it to someone else. Even then, he rarely receives any progressive passes so his movement is literally only basic and facilitatory in nature rather than progressive.

I'm sure Elneny is a super nice guy and I appreciate that he can run and pass to the nearest man all game, but realistically IMO he should not even be a backup at Arsenal. But he's here and he's not going anywhere for at least another year so hey ho!
Cultural bias/racism! I knew it.

You only say he is a nice guy, but your racism/bias shines through in your lack of appreciation for his performances!!1

Last edited:

Trill

Not Trilly
I agree that Elneny shouldn't be starting for us consistently, but the rhetoric towards him baffles me. Fans speak as if he's a really poor championship standard player. When analysing matches you'll see his movement in midfield and ability to create angles is surprisingly better than many Premier League midfielders. Added to that the great engine, ball retention, good technique and general attitude.

His lack of forward passing is frustrating and again I dont think he should be a starter. But as a backup player he's sufficient. I can't understand the negativity affiliated with him. I'm sorry, but if he was Brtish or European he'd be respected much more. Thats just my opinion.
He's a very safe option. With the right partner to make up for his weaknesses his value as a squad player goes up a lot.

Willock on the other hand is not a safe option. He can turn the game into a bit of a shootout with his movement (which from what I've seen so far Arteta generally tries to avoid) but if he could become not a complete liability in possession and leave the creative responsibility to other's he could be a great asset.

GoonerJay24

That depends how you view affecting attacks? In this case I refer to whenever the teams in possession, whether that's Leno or Aubamayang. I'm not speaking about his passing ability but awareness to position himself correctly to facilitate build up phases. If you rewatch parts of our match against Liverpool in last seasons community shield for instance, you should see how Mo's movement and scanning helped create overloads in the wide areas for Saka, Auba and Niles to exploit.

Many midfielders playing in England lack the technical, tactical and decision making to execute this, even in the premier league. You think Jack Cork or Scott Mctominay could proficiently operate in these areas whilst keeping possession.

This alongside his engine, workrate and attitude is why I dont mind him as only a squad player. I just don't get the constant criticism he recieves. Had Arteta started him in more games last season instead of Ceballos, I'm sure we'd of done better.

Anyway this is Willocks thread so lets just agree to disagree and keep discussions towards Joe.

Last edited:

Gooner416

Master of Stonks
Trusted ⭐

Cultural bias/racism! I knew it.

You only say he is a nice guy, but your racism/bias shines through in your lack of appreciation for his performances!!1
Where the f*ck did this cultural bias/racism nonsense come from? Please point out in any of Mutable's post hinting that unless you're being sarcastic. Sorry f*cking excuse to label that because he doesn't rate him.

Gooner416

Master of Stonks
Trusted ⭐

I agree that Elneny shouldn't be starting for us consistently, but the rhetoric towards him baffles me. Fans speak as if he's a really poor championship standard player. When analysing matches you'll see his movement in midfield and ability to create angles is surprisingly better than many Premier League midfielders. Added to that the great engine, ball retention, good technique and general attitude.

His lack of forward passing is frustrating and again I dont think he should be a starter. But as a backup player he's sufficient. I can't understand the negativity affiliated with him. I'm sorry, but if he was Brtish or European he'd be respected much more. Thats just my opinion.
Nah not having this, I know countless of Egyptian mates from Uni who don't rate him and still are baffled as to how he ever made it to Arsenal. No one is saying he's a poor Championship standard player, we're saying he's not a top 8 PL player. That cultural bias/racism stick is nonsense, he's an average footballer and I would say the same about Holding, Ceballos etc. regardless of their background.

drippin

Where the f*ck did this cultural bias/racism nonsense come from? Please point out in any of Mutable's post hinting that unless you're being sarcastic. Sorry f*cking excuse to label that because he doesn't rate him.
If you read our discussion here today, you understand easily that I was being sarcastic.

Mrs Bergkamp

Double Dusted
Dusted 🔻

Elneny is a hard worker and a good character but he's not good enough and is up to scratch a very small percentage of time. He shows for the ball and safely passes it on. That may be ball retention but it's a road to nowhere. There are only so many times the ball needs to be recycled. He's redundant and it's a myth that no youth player could provide what he does. The lack of rating has nothing to do with his nationality and everything to do with the fact that I find him insufficient. I have similar feelings towards Cedric, Mari, pre Xmas Pepe, Laca, Holding and Leno to name just a few. There are players who do just enough,often enough but over the season cost more than you may realise.

Geofranco

Would let Saka date his daughter

Player:Saka
Elneny is a hard worker and a good character but he's not good enough and is up to scratch a very small percentage of time. He shows for the ball and safely passes it on. That may be ball retention but it's a road to nowhere. There are only so many times the ball needs to be recycled. He's redundant and it's a myth that no youth player could provide what he does. The lack of rating has nothing to do with his nationality and everything to do with the fact that I find him insufficient. I have similar feelings towards Cedric, Mari, pre Xmas Pepe, Laca, Holding and Leno to name just a few. There are players who do just enough,often enough but over the season cost more than you may realise.

I am still not sold on Pepe. Yes, he has potential to produce end product, but his technique on the ball, link up play and awareness still leave a lot to be desired. We just have too many mediocre players on the ball. That is why the team had to spend 50 mil on Ben ****ing White. Auba, Pepe, El-neny, Xhaka, Bellerin, Holding, Laca are just too limited in terms of what they can do on the ball. Simply not dynamic enough.

GoonerJay24

Nah not having this, I know countless of Egyptian mates from Uni who don't rate him and still are baffled as to how he ever made it to Arsenal. No one is saying he's a poor Championship standard player, we're saying he's not a top 8 PL player. That cultural bias/racism stick is nonsense, he's an average footballer and I would say the same about Holding, Ceballos etc. regardless of their background.
Lets doscuss in Elneny thread then..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Top Bottom