• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Joel Campbell: Got Out While He Could

Status
Not open for further replies.

MaraDon

Wants you to learn about football
s
We start Theo Walcott.
so?
when you are opposition an theo is on the field you think how to stop him and deal with him, he is a treath.
when you are opposition and Campbell is on the field you think which one is tastier, the mushroom or the tomato one.

Reactions: A_G

MagicalRozza

Joel is one of my favourite Arsenal players. He is one of the few whose attitude could never be questioned. Whenever on the pitch he brought something that Rozza had - that drive forward. Of course he is not technically as good as Rozza was but I always enjoyed seeing him play, unlike quite a lot of his team mates. I only saw the Leicester game yesterday and what struck me was a complete lack of chemistry between Theo and Bellerin. Two fast runners but only one proper footballer and most importantly one team player. When Joel and Bellerin played on the right they had this chemistry, interchanging, knowing where your partner would appear on the pitch, etc. I think the argument "he is not of Arsenal quality" is pure bullshit because it should apply to the majority of the present team. I think Wenger is making a mistake treating Joel like this and sending a very wrong message to his underperforming competitors on the wing. I would loan out Theo/Ox rather then Campbell as they are the ones who need to get their heads sorted out.

I find it disappointing that he wasn't loaned/sold to a Premier League club. It would have been much easier to keep an eye on him that way.

It's still baffling how can a player like Walcott be given so many opportunities, after clearly playing like rubbish, while Joel gets treated this way. Campbell is younger, has better technique, and is much more creative and hardworking. It seems clear to me who should have stayed and who should have been sold.

krackpot

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
Joel is one of my favourite Arsenal players. He is one of the few whose attitude could never be questioned. Whenever on the pitch he brought something that Rozza had - that drive forward. Of course he is not technically as good as Rozza was but I always enjoyed seeing him play, unlike quite a lot of his team mates. I only saw the Leicester game yesterday and what struck me was a complete lack of chemistry between Theo and Bellerin. Two fast runners but only one proper footballer and most importantly one team player. When Joel and Bellerin played on the right they had this chemistry, interchanging, knowing where your partner would appear on the pitch, etc. I think the argument "he is not of Arsenal quality" is pure bullshit because it should apply to the majority of the present team. I think Wenger is making a mistake treating Joel like this and sending a very wrong message to his underperforming competitors on the wing. I would loan out Theo/Ox rather then Campbell as they are the ones who need to get their heads sorted out.
very nicely written.

He is not being given a chance, because he hasn't expresed himself fully. I don't need a defensive contribution from him to the extent that he forgets to get into the box. Check two of his heatmaps, and you will see that he stays out of the box most of the times, and it is detrimental to his and Arsenal's chances of creating goals.

v/s Swansea:
campbell-heat-map.jpg

v/s Galatasaraay:
Campbell-Gala.png

He cannot create or score goals if he hangs out near the half way line

contrast this to lets say Iwobi:
v/s Watford:
iwobi-heatmap-graphic-arsenal_3434073.jpg

v/s Everton:
Screen-Shot-2016-04-02-at-19.53.55-e1459623298910.png

natural

Established Member
I'd rather sell both Walcott and Ox to keep him, at least he has the potential to be a very good player.

MagicalRozza

very nicely written.

He is not being given a chance, because he hasn't expresed himself fully. I don't need a defensive contribution from him to the extent that he forgets to get into the box. Check two of his heatmaps, and you will see that he stays out of the box most of the times, and it is detrimental to his and Arsenal's chances of creating goals.

v/s Swansea:
campbell-heat-map.jpg

v/s Galatasaraay:
Campbell-Gala.png

He cannot create or score goals if he hangs out near the half way line

contrast this to lets say Iwobi:
v/s Watford:
iwobi-heatmap-graphic-arsenal_3434073.jpg

v/s Everton:
Screen-Shot-2016-04-02-at-19.53.55-e1459623298910.png

These are some very interesting statistics. I haven't even noticed these nuances with my untrained eyes. Besides what I wrote was mostly how I felt watching him play. I do agree with Iwobi introducing an instant goal threat when he started playing and making more of a difference than Campbell. However the question remains whether the overall contribution/added value of Campbell vs Theo and Ox justified pushing Campbell out. To me it did not.

Kanonier

This is a good deal for both sides: Joel gets more playing time in a decent league + CL football and Arsenal give more playing time to Joel, they watch him how he grows and performs in the CL, and they can sell him later or bring him back if he performs well. Good luck to Joel and it'll be interesting to keep tabs how he pans out at Sporting.

A_G

Rice Rice Baby 🎼🎵
Campbell on staying: "Another person could stay at Arsenal, have a good wage, live in a nice city and not playing.

That's what this **** has done for the last 2 seasons, who is he to have a dig at someone else?

Toast

Established Member
on Joel Campbell’s loan…
I believe that he’s a bit of a victim of the size of the squad. He is now at an age where he needs to play more regularly and I don’t rule out that he comes back here and plays. He has gone to Sporting Lisbon and I think it’s an interesting championship. Portugal always has an interesting championship and let’s see how it goes for him.

blaze_of_glory

He's done here I think. "I don't rule out that he comes back," not exactly pining for him to do so.

Too bad, like him as a player. But probably behind a few here so best for him he moves on.

novarek

The baffling thing is how we missed chances to sell him for a decent profit, because we had them. This is Coquelin level of mismanagement, maybe Wenger is hoping for another "miracle" when he finally stops insisting with Walcott.

Jury

A-M's drunk uncle
Campbell on staying: "Another person could stay at Arsenal, have a good wage, live in a nice city and not playing.

That's what this **** has done for the last 2 seasons, who is he to have a dig at someone else?

****ing hell, that's harsh. :lol:

As @4R5Emaniac said, he was forced to stay and was obviously given hope. He had some games and had every reason to think he had a chance here when he looked around at what he was up against... Right? It's not like he sat on his arse, collected and played like he couldn't give a **** when he got his chances.

Anyway, I'm sure he's talking about the sort of player that stays at Arsenal for most of their career as a permanent squad player on a decent wage. Nobody could level that at Joel ffs! He's no Rosicky, Diaby etc etc. Some might even say Walcott.

He's perfectly entitled to distance himself from being that sort of player, or even dig them out.

Gooner n Proud

a.k.a. nasri_8 and Voice of Flamini
The baffling thing is how we missed chances to sell him for a decent profit, because we had them. This is Coquelin level of mismanagement, maybe Wenger is hoping for another "miracle" when he finally stops insisting with Walcott.

Would Campbell on the opposite flank alongside Sanchez uunbalance our attack more though? As both regularly cut inside to create and with Giroud mostly up front the forward line then would become rigid hence why Arsène likes to play Chamberlain or Walcott as they provide another dimension.

novarek

Both fullbacks overlap, that's not really a problem. As long as the 3 can switch position if needed that's fluid enough for Wenger.

And sometimes Walcott likes to move to the middle so we end up having Giroud either playing deep or even in a wing making the crosses anyway

Kanonier

He has one of the team's lowest salaries and has contributed when called upon. Remember that CL game in Greece against Olympiakos? He now demanded a loan move and accepted a pay cut to make it happen. Why don't you criticize Walcott who earns £140.000 a week and is absolute rubbish? Or perhaps Debuchy who has contributed ZERO to Arsenal and takes £70.000 a week.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Top Bottom