• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Joel Campbell

Status
Not open for further replies.

ricky1985

Established Member
gstew said:
Been watching a lot of international soccer this summer (Gold Cup, Copa America, U17 WC) and the two players that jumped off the screen for me were Campbell of CR and Fierro of Mexico. Of course there are quite a few other talents that were impressive, but these were the two that had me most intrigued. I would be so excited and impressed if we were able to sign both.
Could you tell me what you know of the two player's game, Stew?

KY

Established Member
blaze_of_glory said:
About 10 yrs ago (i think) a report came out on the Canadian Soccer Association that described it as having and representing a "culture of failure."

Not much has changed since then unfortunately. Its disgraceful. We have 30 million people and consistently lose to countries with 3 million.

I wonder how India feels.

kofigunner

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
I'd take a punt on him for the 2 mill being bandied around. That's chump change in today's business. He does look with his pace and dribbling that he can play anywhere across the front 3 too.

Floating

Established Member
KY said:
blaze_of_glory said:
About 10 yrs ago (i think) a report came out on the Canadian Soccer Association that described it as having and representing a "culture of failure."

Not much has changed since then unfortunately. Its disgraceful. We have 30 million people and consistently lose to countries with 3 million.

Or China!

ebouenolike

Established Member
kofigunner said:
I'd take a punt on him for the 2 mill being bandied around. That's chump change in today's business. He does look with his pace and dribbling that he can play anywhere across the front 3 too.

2 million sounds like an absolute steal for a highly rated striker who's doing well for the U20s.

How much did we pay for the likes of Denilson and Wellington? £2 million would be great business.

Jury

A-M's drunk uncle
There is light said:
Been one of the stars at copa so far, has the jury seen this yet ? How he'd love this to happen!

I just stumbled over this thread looking for news on Lakuku! Can't believe this even has a chance of happening, particularly as I liked the look of him before any news of a possible signing came about!; that just doesn't ever happen with players I notice... :(

As I've said on many occasions, I'm totally sold on him.

Even without service and long periods without the ball against Argentina, he ran himself into the ground, took the ball in tight situations and kept it and generally looked completely at home. Took a few mean freekicks and nearly scored with one of them. He has it ALL. Awesome awesome talent.

The figure of £2 million is surley a joke. He'll be worth at least ten times that this time next year.
Needless to say, I'll probably lose control of my bowel and bladder momentarily if we signed him.

celestis

Arsenal-Mania Veteran

Floating said:
KY said:
blaze_of_glory said:

Or China!

Wouldn't bring up China in a another 10 -15 they will be a power .

viper_001

Established Member
Just saw a link to an Italian paper in the lobby transfer thread. Apparently Juventus are after Campbell and aim to offer him 'better benefits'.

Another Alvarez situation?

gstew

ricky1985 said:
gstew said:
Been watching a lot of international soccer this summer (Gold Cup, Copa America, U17 WC) and the two players that jumped off the screen for me were Campbell of CR and Fierro of Mexico. Of course there are quite a few other talents that were impressive, but these were the two that had me most intrigued. I would be so excited and impressed if we were able to sign both.
Could you tell me what you know of the two player's game, Stew?

The ball jumps off of Campbell's foot when he shoots. And he really seems to consistently get good contact on the ball. Those that liken him to Eto'o are probably saying so because his movement is similar and he usually goes directly at goal. I would have to agree with the assessment. Although left footed, he seems to also be quite skilled with his right and that makes him so much harder to mark. I am especially partial to truly two footed players and that is one of the reasons I never fully took to Reyes. For being the star of the Costa Rican team, I was pleasantly surprised by his defending from the front. He looked like he works hard for the team. For two million pounds he is a gamble that is a virtual no-brainer. My inclination is that he will turn out better than Vela.

That being said, I would (in a heart beat) gamble 20 million on Lukaku before 2 million on Campbell. Lukaku is possibly a once-in-a-generation player. He has the size and power of Drogba with the speed of Theo. How often does that come along?

The reason Fierro intrigued me so was that he was considerably faster with the ball than all of the defenders without the ball. He doesn't play like CRonaldo per se, but in that one characteristic (speed with the ball) they are the same. It is so hard to evaluate players at 16-17, so who knows how he will end up. But I always want to gamble on players that scare defenders and Fierro certainly does so.

Big Poppa

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
Without wishing to sound like an idiot, "Joel Campbell" sounds about as latin American as fish and chips. What's the story?

ebouenolike

Established Member
Big Poppa said:
Without wishing to sound like an idiot, "Joel Campbell" sounds about as latin American as fish and chips. What's the story?

Parents are from the English speaking part of Costa Rica apparently. Limon.

“I was born in San Jose, the capital of Costa Rica, although my family is from the English-speaking area of Limon, which explains my surname, and I’m the third of four children.”

Glovegun

Established Member
Even if we do sign him, I wouldnt get too excited. We're unlikely to see him in an Arsenal shirt for at least a year, maybe two. The likelihood is he'll go out on loan for a year, maybe two, like Vela, Wellington and Miyaichi. Looks like a decent prospect though.

cuban

Established Member
he is playing for his NT think he would be more likely to get work permit because of that...

GDeep™

League is very weak
Big Poppa said:

He Is of Caribbean descent I'm guessing, Limon has a strong community of people who can their roots back to that part of the world.

No surprises that other clubs are interested, having missed out on a couple of players already this summer let's hope we wrap this up.

viper_001

Established Member
Glovegun said:
Even if we do sign him, I wouldnt get too excited. We're unlikely to see him in an Arsenal shirt for at least a year, maybe two. The likelihood is he'll go out on loan for a year, maybe two, like Vela, Wellington and Miyaichi. Looks like a decent prospect though.

He's got 5 caps with the senior NT and is only 19 years old. That should be an automatic work permit (he played a part in a large % of his national team's games this year). Even if not, he is clearly a 'special talent' and there is no way in hell he wouldn't get it.

After all, Denilson got it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Top Bottom