• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Jonathan David

akhil

Very good! :applause:

I remember back in the day when we signed Laca, you had reservations about him despite his Ligue 1 numbers. David seems to have a similar playing style to him though. You think he could operate as a lone striker in this system🤮?

The_Playmaker

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
The Lacazette and David comparison is interesting.

That is Lacazette at Lyon before we bought him. To me he plays the same way around Arsenal. Most of his work is outside the box. He isn't beating players or creating his own shots often.

Jonathan David is better. He is better because he can do everything that Lacazette can and more, which is what we want? He isn't an aerial threat, but if you want to pump balls into the air or from wide as a strategy then you are managing the wrong club.

He is the most two footed striker I have seen in a very long time. That chance that Laca missed vs Burnley, he scores with his left foot instead. He beats players and he is deceptively quick. I remember watching him in Belgium and he played in so many different positions, but he always looked quick. Watching his compilations in France, he hasn't looked particularly quick. This is the first comp where you see him doing things other than scoring. He isn't lightening, but if he beats you, you are not catching up with him.

He has quickness of thought to match his feet, so he is always a step ahead. I feel like he is on par with Saka for pace, which is good enough for a forward.

I think when you look at composure of finishing , he is on another level to someone like Isak and Nunez. He makes it look like he has so much time. The clarity or decision making is top level.

Physicality won't be starters problem I feel. He has a stocky low centre of gravity build. Just don't kick it to his head. Problem solved. Put it this way. Isak is 6ft 4, but plays like he is 5 ft 9. His height literally offers no advantage because he just good in the air. Vlahovic also isn't good in the air, but his height and size comes with strength.

Pep has Mahrez, Grealish, Sterling, Foden, Jesus, Silva roating around 3 positions. You can do that when you have European football.

Imagine paying 100 million euros for Gnabry and David while selling Pepe.

Gnabry, David, Martinelli, ESR, Saka. 5 players for 3 positions.

Ødegaard, Gnabry, ESR, and David can all play 10.

Obviously only possible with Champions League. I would prefer that than Isak.

TakeChillPill

Established Member
I like his aggression. Doesn't seem particularly quick but has good feet. Seems like an upgraded version of Lacs, but nothing particularly special about him.

If the bench mark minimum for an arsenal forward is to be better than adebayor then this David lad doesn't seem to cut it.

dashsnow17

Doesn’t Rate Any Of Our Attackers
Trusted ⭐
I like his aggression. Doesn't seem particularly quick but has good feet. Seems like an upgraded version of Lacs, but nothing particularly special about him.

If the bench mark minimum for an arsenal forward is to be better than adebayor then this David lad doesn't seem to cut it.

I’d give my left leg for a 2007 Adebayor right now.

scytheavatar

Established Member
Real talk: I do not see much evidence that Jonathan David is better than Nketiah. This is the sad reality, if Nketiah was playing for a French team right now he would be banging goals and praised as the next big thing, but he isn't cause instead he's wasting his career under Arteta.

The_Playmaker

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
Real talk: I do not see much evidence that Jonathan David is better than Nketiah. This is the sad reality, if Nketiah was playing for a French team right now he would be banging goals and praised as the next big thing, but he isn't cause instead he's wasting his career under Arteta.
Strange take. There isn't a forward who I genuinely think ticks every single box. I think most are limited, but J David is on another level to Nketiah. I think it's quite insulting to say a player who is playing in a poor team yet is still amongst the top scorers in the league is on the same level as a player who has been missing complete sitters from 2 yards out.

Nketiah is a penalty box poacher who relies on scoring goals from 6 yards out but has been missing them lately. That is all he is. There is nothing else to his game. J David is so much more.

Whether he is good enough for us I am not sure, but he is my preference currently. I watched him vs PSG. He didn't get much of the ball to be honest, but his movement is very good. He makes runs in behind and clever darts into pockets.

Rasmi

Negative Nancy

No he wouldn’t. He is better than nketiah who wasn’t banging in the championship either. He is not better than the lacazette we bought though. Nketiah is living of his reputation for our u21 and Englands u21. He has done nothing in senior football. David has done it in Belgium and France

ArsenesCoatMaker

Established Member

JD is able to beat players, carry the ball, pick a pass, hold up the ball, press relentlessly, link up well all that aside from scoring goals. Even if Nketieh could score goals in Ligue 1, which is unknown, he wouldn't be able to provide all the other attributes

Bloodbather

Established Member

Jonathan David might be an improved version of Lacazette, indeed. What I'm having trouble gauging is whether "a better Lacazette" should be the profile we look for. Feel like we need someone who can lead the way, not someone who compliments what we currently have.

ArsenesCoatMaker

Established Member
No he wouldn’t. He is better than nketiah who wasn’t banging in the championship either. He is not better than the lacazette we bought though. Nketiah is living of his reputation for our u21 and Englands u21. He has done nothing in senior football. David has done it in Belgium and France

I'm not sure this is true, JD has better stamina, quicker, taller, stronger and is better dribbler than Lacazette from what I've seen. Lacazette at his peak was also only banging in 18 none penalty goals a season in Ligue 1, so it's not like he was way more prolific.

JDs just turned 22 last month though and is only averaging 1.7 shots per game, which is low. So plenty of potential to go up a few levels. At that age Lacazette hadn't had a break out season yet. At the same age Auba was yet to break through too.

Rasmi

Negative Nancy

I'm not sure this is true, JD has better stamina, quicker, taller, stronger and is better dribbler than Lacazette from what I've seen. Lacazette at his peak was also only banging in 18 none penalty goals a season in Ligue 1, so it's not like he was way more prolific.

JDs just turned 22 last month though and is only averaging 1.7 shots per game, which is low. So plenty of potential to go up a few levels. At that age Lacazette hadn't had a break out season yet. At the same age Auba was yet to break through too.
But footballers don’t improve year on year. Some players do better early on. Doesn’t mean they will do better year in year out

ArsenesCoatMaker

Established Member
But footballers don’t improve year on year. Some players do better early on. Doesn’t mean they will do better year in year out

How many footballers peak as 22 year olds though? I can only think of teenage burnouts like Gotze, Wilshere and maybe Cesc who didn't improve much after that age. Players tend to peak physically and understanding their role better after that. Especially in the modern lone striker role role.

Diesel

Then u havent watched enough of him. Eddie still looks like 12 yr old on the pitch. Only patino looks smaller. David is a smaller guy but looks much stronger. And will score more than eddie. Eddie a finisher on his best day and absolutely nothing 80 percent of the time.

Rasmi

Negative Nancy

How many footballers peak as 22 year olds though? I can only think of teenage burnouts like Gotze, Wilshere and maybe Cesc who didn't improve much after that age. Players tend to peak physically and understanding their role better after that. Especially in the modern lone striker role role.
Ramsey, wilshere, Walcott, song, bendtner and bellerin from Arsenal alone

Top Bottom